Problems in submask

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

About 2 mos. ago I was having problems accessing the internet. The Dell
technician who was troubleshooting the problem told me that spyware/malware
had infiltrated the submask address, she said if the numbers read in
succession: 255.255.255.255 (in which they are not supposed to.) there is an
indication of spyware. Would anyone be able to shed some more light on this
matter. Since then I can now access the internet and go online with little
or no problem, but the numbers are still in system (command prompt , ipconfig)

I am running Windows/xp home w/service pac2
My ISP is Verizon DSL w/Westell modem (wirespeed)
Thanks, Phil

"Phil" <phil56_@msn.com> wrote in message
> About 2 mos. ago I was having problems accessing the internet. The Dell
> technician who was troubleshooting the problem told me that
> spyware/malware
> had infiltrated the submask address, she said if the numbers read in
> succession: 255.255.255.255 (in which they are not supposed to.) there is
> an
> indication of spyware. Would anyone be able to shed some more light on
> this
> matter. Since then I can now access the internet and go online with
> little
> or no problem, but the numbers are still in system (command prompt ,
> ipconfig)
>

> I am running Windows/xp home w/service pac2
> My ISP is Verizon DSL w/Westell modem (wirespeed)
> Thanks, Phil

Phil

Here is an explanation of subnet masks in layman's terms.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_a_subnet_mask.html

If you are using a router then the subnet mask is likely 255.255.255.0 not
255.255.255.255. If you don't use a router then it is probably something
different depending on how your ISP has it's network set up.

Kerry