No More Service Packs for Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
"but there was hope that the company would puke up another service pack for x64 XP before the OS headed out to the pasture"

Another not so professional piece by Kevin Parrish.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I'm running Windows 7 RTM at home (got it through MSDN subscription) and sadly I'm still using XP at work . XP Was good at his time, but if you only try Win 7 for a short while, there's no going back, the difference is huge. I've run Win 7 for 31 days and 19 hours without reboot and it was still running like I just started it, that's way above XPs league regarding system stability.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
can't expect MS to keep pouring resources to XP forever...

it has to stop at some point and move on...

now the question is will MS support Vista as long as XP did?

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
As a home user I don't much care about XP anymore since I've moved on to Vista and will make the move to 7 as soon as it hits retail, but I'm not so sure what the IT guys at my college will think about it.

I had hoped MS would kill the 32bit versions with Win7, lets hope the next installment won't offer 32bit versions anymore.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Had they killed the 32bit versions, people still running Pentium 4's (there are many that do) would not be able to run it. So why would that even begin to be a good idea. A lot of people are too cheap to buy a new PC yet may want the new o/s since vista ran fine on P4's as well. Plus I still have a cr&pload of spare pentium 4 parts and built one win7 machine already and it runs perfectly fine. Can't run 64bit on that one. I'm glad they still make 32bit, makes life a lot simpler. Would rather not use windows XP at all at home ever again, it is too bland and outdated. Not to mention it is like a rare earth magnet picking up nails when it comes to malware.

born2rade

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on my cpu but went back to Windows XP Home Edition because Win 7 was slower on my PC. My PC is only a Pent 4 (2.4ghz) / 1.2GB pc800 Rambus RAMM / geforce 7600 gs.

I thought Win 7 was great and will deff have it with my new system in the future. It's deff not for older systems. XP is the best by far for older systems.

G

At least they're putting the Windows XP out to pasture instead of outright killing it! :p

The Old Nag sure gave us a run for our money!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]For the record, look at wikipedia. They're going to keep making patches till 2014. I don't call that dead.[/citation]
And who do you trust more, Wikipedia or MS Server Operations manager?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I just hope that for simplicity's sake, when by 2014 they stop rolling out individual fixes they release a final "Service Pack"/patch pack, or whatever they want to call it, with all the fixes since SP3. Have you ever had to install an old operating system just to have to spend another hour or so installing dozens of patches instead of one big thing ? I know it's asking too much, but perhaps they could do it without much effort. It would make things a lot simpler and close the XP cycle. That way, whenever you needed to install the then legacy XP you knew: I have to install SP3 and the final patch pack and I'm done! (and at my own risk, of course hehehe, just like with Win 98SE like I do with my ancient artifact, a 1995 Cyrix 5x86 100Mhz on a 486 board :D

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why not just do better testing instead of patching the damn operating system. The real problem is new buggy features keep coming out with each new service pack. Property testing would minimize the need for service patches.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ptroen[/nom]Why not just do better testing instead of patching the damn operating system. The real problem is new buggy features keep coming out with each new service pack. Property testing would minimize the need for service patches.[/citation]
If they kept testing software till there were no more bugs it would NEVER get released, bugs will always get by, no matter the company or the software.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Aww... guess like I won't have SP3 for XP x64. (I use it for CAD). But anyways, XP is dead. Time to move on to Win 7 x64 (I run RTM anyways ) for everyone.[/citation]

XP is dead? LOL?! XP has about 65% of the market, Vista at about 25%. And keep in MIND that MS does include PCs shipped with Vista-Business, but up-graded to XP-Pro as a "Vista" sale.

Vista is closer to death. When 2014 comes around, there WILL STILL more XP systems in use than Vista.

As of today, its still possible to buy WindowsXP and even with Win7-Pro, the owner can change the OS to XP. Somehow I doubt that anyone will be going out of their way to buy Vista after this October.

By the way... I don't see any reason that XP would need a new Service Pak. What does it need?

PS: I use Win7-RC on 3 out of 4 PCs in my home. Only my main desktop is WinXP.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ptroen[/nom]Why not just do better testing instead of patching the damn operating system. The real problem is new buggy features keep coming out with each new service pack. Property testing would minimize the need for service patches.[/citation]

With all the hardware and various software Windows supports and different configurations that would be impossible some are unique to the users system. However most stuff gets caught in beta testing and mass market testing before launch.

G

[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]XP is dead? LOL?! XP has about 65% of the market, Vista at about 25%. And keep in MIND that MS does include PCs shipped with Vista-Business, but up-graded to XP-Pro as a "Vista" sale.Vista is closer to death. When 2014 comes around, there WILL STILL more XP systems in use than Vista.As of today, its still possible to buy WindowsXP and even with Win7-Pro, the owner can change the OS to XP. Somehow I doubt that anyone will be going out of their way to buy Vista after this October. By the way... I don't see any reason that XP would need a new Service Pak. What does it need?PS: I use Win7-RC on 3 out of 4 PCs in my home. Only my main desktop is WinXP.[/citation]
There are currently over 50patches after SP3 that can be included in a SP.
Perhaps even hundreds, but about 50 on my system; especially Internet Explorer security patches.

G

There will be plenty machines still running XP.
I'm going to run it at least another 2 years, unless some unexpected serious internet security threats show up.

It's still the best OS for laptops, older desktops, and netbooks!
Long live XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.