Run History is cleared on every reboot.

July 30, 2005 1:11:03 PM

I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing. Please tell
me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and searched and only
find things on how to clear the run history. I am fimiliar with the registry
and dont have a problem editing it.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:31:05 PM

Michele,
Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select Tools, then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have for "Days to keep pages in history" ?
Now then, if you are talking about the IE drop-down list from the address bar, iirc, it is normal for it to be empty on first startup or after reboot.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Michele wrote:
> I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing.
> Please tell me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and
> searched and only find things on how to clear the run history. I am
> fimiliar with the registry and dont have a problem editing it.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:31:06 PM

Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I am
talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to keep my
history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I dont
even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect though. Could
a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have changed a security
setting somewhere?

Michele

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Michele,
> Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select Tools, then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have for "Days to keep pages in history" ?
> Now then, if you are talking about the IE drop-down list from the address bar, iirc, it is normal for it to be empty on first startup or after reboot.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Michele wrote:
> > I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing.
> > Please tell me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and
> > searched and only find things on how to clear the run history. I am
> > fimiliar with the registry and dont have a problem editing it.

July 30, 2005 3:53:42 PM

Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm

Also if you have a program like Disk Cleaner, Empty Temp Folders 283,
MRU-Blaster or similar they will clear this.

So will this...
Classic Start Menu:
Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear button

Clear button
[[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web sites
from the Documents menu.]]

RunMRU listing - Sources
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:55206F6B-5841-40D8-8DE9-C1781866F84A@microsoft.com,
Michele <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I am
> talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to keep
> my history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
> clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I
> dont even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect
> though. Could a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have
> changed a security setting somewhere?
>
> Michele
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select Tools,
>> then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have for "Days
>> to keep pages in history" ? Now then, if you are talking about the IE
>> drop-down list from the address bar, iirc, it is normal for it to be
>> empty on first startup or after reboot. --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Michele wrote:
>>> I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing.
>>> Please tell me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and
>>> searched and only find things on how to clear the run history. I am
>>> fimiliar with the registry and dont have a problem editing it.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:56:02 PM

Wesley, I have tried the suggestions in the site you listed, still not
working. I have to programs that you list either. I know how to clear the
history. Just dont know why it wont keep the history anymore.

Michele

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>
> Also if you have a program like Disk Cleaner, Empty Temp Folders 283,
> MRU-Blaster or similar they will clear this.
>
> So will this...
> Classic Start Menu:
> Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear button
>
> Clear button
> [[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web sites
> from the Documents menu.]]
>
> RunMRU listing - Sources
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:55206F6B-5841-40D8-8DE9-C1781866F84A@microsoft.com,
> Michele <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I am
> > talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to keep
> > my history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
> > clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I
> > dont even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect
> > though. Could a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have
> > changed a security setting somewhere?
> >
> > Michele
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Michele,
> >> Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select Tools,
> >> then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have for "Days
> >> to keep pages in history" ? Now then, if you are talking about the IE
> >> drop-down list from the address bar, iirc, it is normal for it to be
> >> empty on first startup or after reboot. --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> >> -----

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:20:32 PM

Michele, Where is this "click start, click run - history" ?
I'll search my registry to see if it has a key like you mentioned.

Cannot answer about MS Antispyware. Am not running it.
See the MS Windows Antispyware beta newsgroups via the following short link
http://tinyurl.com/6gkhm
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Michele wrote:
> Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I
> am talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used
> to keep my history and now it does not. I had found something earlier
> about the clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead
> of 0, but I dont even have the registry entry. The path may have been
> incorrect though. Could a recent Windows update or Microsoft
> Antispyware have changed a security setting somewhere?
>
> Michele
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select
>> Tools, then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have
>> for "Days to keep pages in history" ? Now then, if you are talking
>> about the IE drop-down list from the address bar, iirc, it is normal
>> for it to be empty on first startup or after reboot. -- Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Michele wrote:
>>> I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing.
>>> Please tell me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and
>>> searched and only find things on how to clear the run history. I am
>>> fimiliar with the registry and dont have a problem editing it.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:47:14 PM

Michele,

Searched my registry. clearRecentDocsOnExit was not found in mine.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Michele,
Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm

The registry key you're looking for may be at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Michele,
>
> Searched my registry. clearRecentDocsOnExit was not found in mine.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:58:09 PM

I have seen this page before and the reg location listed does not appear in
my reg.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Michele,
> Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>
> The registry key you're looking for may be at
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> > Michele,
> >
> > Searched my registry. clearRecentDocsOnExit was not found in mine.

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 6:40:25 PM

The Clear Run History policy could also be located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \
Policies \ Explorer

--
William

"Michele" <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen this page before and the reg location listed does not appear in
> my reg.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
>> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>>
>> The registry key you're looking for may be at
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \
>> Policies \ Explorer
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>> > Michele,
>> >
>> > Searched my registry. clearRecentDocsOnExit was not found in mine.

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:04:34 PM

Hi Michele,

That page does not apply to your situation, after all. It's about the Run option most recently used commands. Nothing to do with the browser history.

Here's what is more fitting. Find this key in the registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Look for the sub-key
Save_Session_History_On_Exit

If found, and if it has value of no
then change to yes

Mine is set to no.

Be aware the sub-key appears in other sections of registry, as well.
HKEY_USERS has one under
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Michele wrote:
> I have seen this page before and the reg location listed does not
> appear in my reg.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
>> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>>
>> The registry key you're looking for may be at
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \
>> Policies \ Explorer --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:08:18 PM

Michele wrote:
> I have seen this page before and the reg location listed does not
> appear in my reg.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
>> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>>
>> The registry key you're looking for may be at
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \
>> Policies \ Explorer --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
July 30, 2005 10:15:24 PM

Do you use some type of tweaking tool? Most of those tools I use have an
entry where it will clear the run history. I have a registry item,
NoRecentDocsMenu that has a value set to 1. My computer, XPPro SP2 keeps
the Run items. Don't know if this key is pertinent or not for you.

"Michele" <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I am
> talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to keep
> my
> history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
> clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I
> dont
> even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect though.
> Could
> a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have changed a security
> setting somewhere?
>
> Michele
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Michele,
>> Start by looking at Internet Explorer browser, from menu select Tools,
>> then Internet Options. In the History block, what do you have for "Days
>> to keep pages in history" ?
>> Now then, if you are talking about the IE drop-down list from the address
>> bar, iirc, it is normal for it to be empty on first startup or after
>> reboot.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Michele wrote:
>> > I am running windows xp home sp2. My run history keeps clearing.
>> > Please tell me where to look to fix this issue. I have searched and
>> > searched and only find things on how to clear the run history. I am
>> > fimiliar with the registry and dont have a problem editing it.

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:06:31 AM

Open the registry...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Hit your F3 key | Paste this in the box:
ClearRecentDocsOnExit | Click the Find Next button |
Keep hitting F3 until you see the Finished searching through the registry
message.

Any changes made to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER will be made to the
HKEY_USERS\Your SID# key. And vice versa.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6DE035AE-B993-4184-A41F-FD7CC56D2362@microsoft.com,
Michele <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley, I have tried the suggestions in the site you listed, still not
> working. I have to programs that you list either. I know how to clear the
> history. Just dont know why it wont keep the history anymore.
>
> Michele
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>>
>> Also if you have a program like Disk Cleaner, Empty Temp Folders 283,
>> MRU-Blaster or similar they will clear this.
>>
>> So will this...
>> Classic Start Menu:
>> Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear
>> button
>>
>> Clear button
>> [[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web
>> sites from the Documents menu.]]
>>
>> RunMRU listing - Sources
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:55206F6B-5841-40D8-8DE9-C1781866F84A@microsoft.com,
>> Michele <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I am
>>> talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to keep
>>> my history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
>>> clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I
>>> dont even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect
>>> though. Could a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have
>>> changed a security setting somewhere?
>>>
>>> Michele

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 2:00:49 PM

Michele,

Note that your personal firewall or any system maintenance program may have
a cache cleaner option built-in. An example would be "Cache cleaner"
facility in some versions of Zone Alarm Pro. See if there is any such
program having that option.

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

If using XP Professional, you may set a registry audit for the RunMRU key to
learn which "program" is clearing the RUN history on every startup/or
shutdown.

How to use Group Policy to configure auditing of Windows registry keys in XP
Professional?:
http://www.winxptutor.com/auditreg.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Michele" <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Wesley, I have tried the suggestions in the site you listed, still not
> working. I have to programs that you list either. I know how to clear the
> history. Just dont know why it wont keep the history anymore.
>
> Michele
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
>>
>> Also if you have a program like Disk Cleaner, Empty Temp Folders 283,
>> MRU-Blaster or similar they will clear this.
>>
>> So will this...
>> Classic Start Menu:
>> Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear
>> button
>>
>> Clear button
>> [[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web
>> sites
>> from the Documents menu.]]
>>
>> RunMRU listing - Sources
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:55206F6B-5841-40D8-8DE9-C1781866F84A@microsoft.com,
>> Michele <Michele@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > Hi Maurice, My IE settings say 20 days to keep history. The history I
>> > am
>> > talking about is the - click start, click run - history. It used to
>> > keep
>> > my history and now it does not. I had found something earlier about the
>> > clearRecentDocsOnExit registry value being set to 1 instead of 0, but I
>> > dont even have the registry entry. The path may have been incorrect
>> > though. Could a recent Windows update or Microsoft Antispyware have
>> > changed a security setting somewhere?
>> >
>> > Michele

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:36:07 PM

I ended up finding a setting to turn on My Recent Documents. That will have
to work for now. I appreciate your help.

Michele

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Hi Michele,
>
> That page does not apply to your situation, after all. It's about the Run option most recently used commands. Nothing to do with the browser history.
>
> Here's what is more fitting. Find this key in the registry.
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>
> Look for the sub-key
> Save_Session_History_On_Exit
>
> If found, and if it has value of no
> then change to yes
>
> Mine is set to no.
>
> Be aware the sub-key appears in other sections of registry, as well.
> HKEY_USERS has one under
> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Michele wrote:
> > I have seen this page before and the reg location listed does not
> > appear in my reg.
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Michele,
> >> Here is an article by Ramesh, MS-MVP.
> >> Start Menu RUN history (RunMRU) is cleared on every restart
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm
> >>
> >> The registry key you're looking for may be at
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \
> >> Policies \ Explorer --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> >> -----

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:35:41 PM

That'll do it also.

Thank you for posting back.

How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.