chkdsk runs

July 30, 2005 4:32:29 PM

Hi,
My computer had been running ok with WindowsXP home edition and
several partitions via partition magic.

Recently, every time I turn it on, chkdsk runs, checking the
various partitions with messages that disappear so quickly that I
cannot read all of them, but I don't see any error message. Then
it runs normally. It may have started when we had a power failure
while the computer was on.

When I press start, run; chkdsk appears as the first choice and I
cannot clear it from that blank space.

How can I get the computer to run without running chkdsk each time
it is turned on?

Thank you,
VS

Please remove no spam to reply by e-mail

More about : chkdsk runs

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:32:30 PM

Hi Verne,

The power failure is the most likely genesis of this situation. Running CHKDSK from the Recovery Console should clear it up.
After a power failure, a long time ago, I had to do this too.

Run CHKDSK from within Recovery Console. *Presuming you have a full retail CD version of Windows XP* or a slipstream CD of XP.
( If you don't have the XP CD, or have an OEM version of XP, it may be possible to run Recovery Console by booting up from XP setup diskettes.)

#1. Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console:
Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console.
Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator password (if your setup had a password; otherwise press Enter).

Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery Console /P replaces /F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the
"dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

As to
> When I press start, run; chkdsk appears as the first choice and I
> cannot clear it from that blank space

This is at the XP Run option. You should be able to put cursor at that spot, and start typing whatever or press delete.
When the entry has a blue background, tap delete.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Verne Smith" <smitty123nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My computer had been running ok with WindowsXP home edition and
> several partitions via partition magic.
>
> Recently, every time I turn it on, chkdsk runs, checking the
> various partitions with messages that disappear so quickly that I
> cannot read all of them, but I don't see any error message. Then
> it runs normally. It may have started when we had a power failure
> while the computer was on.
>
> When I press start, run; chkdsk appears as the first choice and I
> cannot clear it from that blank space.
>
> How can I get the computer to run without running chkdsk each time
> it is turned on?
>
> Thank you,
> VS
>
> Please remove no spam to reply by e-mail

In addition to the post by Maurice N this could be a sign of a failing hard
drive. In any case make sure you have your data backed up.

Kerry
August 2, 2005 7:36:01 PM

Hi,
Another group suggested:
tweak 294...http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

It worked like a charm. A couple of years ago, another tweak at
kellys-korner solved a problem with my volume icon disappearing
from my taskbar.

Thanks for all help.
VS

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:32:29 -0400, Verne Smith
<smitty123nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>My computer had been running ok with WindowsXP home edition and
>several partitions via partition magic.
>
>Recently, every time I turn it on, chkdsk runs, checking the
>various partitions with messages that disappear so quickly that I
>cannot read all of them, but I don't see any error message. Then
>it runs normally. It may have started when we had a power failure
>while the computer was on.
>
>When I press start, run; chkdsk appears as the first choice and I
>cannot clear it from that blank space.
>
>How can I get the computer to run without running chkdsk each time
>it is turned on?
>
>Thank you,
>VS
>
>Please remove no spam to reply by e-mail

Please remove no spam to reply by e-mail
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:00:40 AM

All thanks go to Ms Kelly. She has a great site.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

!