Orange Juice + Laptop Charger = Sparks! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anatorax

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hello everybody!

I had my laptop in my backpack and a bottle of juice with badly closed lid. By the time I came home from the library, everything inside was swimming in orange juice. Laptop was in a separate compartment and was not wet, but the charger was pretty wet. I decided to give my things a good shower and then left them near the heater for 2 days.

But later when I went to the library and plugged in my charger into my laptop and outlet there were a few sparks, cracking sound and a strong smell of burned rubber coming from the charging brick. I unplugged it immediately (like after 1-2 seconds), but did not risk plugging it again. The laptop seems to be fine though. However, the outlet and the nearby lamp stopped working :eek: Not to be a dick, I notified the librarian, but they said they would check it and did not seem to care much.

The question is what do I do now? Buy a new charger? Leave this one to dry some more and try again? Or definitely DO NOT try to use it again?

Thanks.

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I would buy a replacement. If you spill juice or "tap" water on your electronics its best to rinse clean with distilled water and then leave to dry. Regular water will corrode electronic connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.