Price Check: 1978 Space Invaders

Last response: in Deals
July 6, 2005 10:30:56 AM

There is an original space invaders for sale on EBay. It appears that
the cap has been cleaned up and the power supply & monitor rebuilt
(more than just caps). It sounds enticing but in today's market I'm
uneasy about paying too much. Does anyone know what a Space Invaders
in (assumingly) good electronic shape is worth?

Are they as rare as I assume they are or are there plenty of them out
there?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:49:27 PM

Fair value is around $300. Space Invaders aren't rare at all in my opinion.

"OHMI_Arcade" <timothymarsh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> There is an original space invaders for sale on EBay. It appears that
> the cap has been cleaned up and the power supply & monitor rebuilt
> (more than just caps). It sounds enticing but in today's market I'm
> uneasy about paying too much. Does anyone know what a Space Invaders
> in (assumingly) good electronic shape is worth?
>
> Are they as rare as I assume they are or are there plenty of them out
> there?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

July 6, 2005 4:40:07 PM

I sold mine for I think $275 or $300 about a year ago locally, so I think
$300 is about right. --dan

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Chuk wrote:

> Fair value is around $300. Space Invaders aren't rare at all in my opinion.
>
> "OHMI_Arcade" <timothymarsh@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There is an original space invaders for sale on EBay. It appears that
>> the cap has been cleaned up and the power supply & monitor rebuilt
>> (more than just caps). It sounds enticing but in today's market I'm
>> uneasy about paying too much. Does anyone know what a Space Invaders
>> in (assumingly) good electronic shape is worth?
>>
>> Are they as rare as I assume they are or are there plenty of them out
>> there?
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts.

July 6, 2005 11:32:17 PM

Thanks for all the perspectives. I think I'm also in a similar region
as Nate. It seems that there are a lot of good deals out there... just
not in the Ohio/Michigan area.
Thanks again.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:07:38 AM

It's hard to say. I was actively looking a year ago, and at that time
it seemed that the prices had climbed. I think this year they may
have gone down a bit.

A year ago I saw several of them sell between $500 - $800, but $300
was not unheard in some cases, but not here in N.E. So really, the
prices have been all over the map.

$300 for a working one would be a bargin even now, especially if it
were a regular Space Invaders. Deluxe is worth less, and like
Asteroids Deluxe, I think it's a better game with nicer art work.
Seems crazy, but that's how the market goes.

I picked up a non-working Space Invaders last year from some one that
more or less wanted to get rid of it. They weren't online. I've got
at least $200 into it, and I still don't have a working picture. It's
large blocky pixels on the screen so far.

At an auction I was at a year & a half ago, 3 or 4 Space Invaders
sold. None of them were fully working, all of them had either missing
sounds or lack of sound, very dark pictures, so so cabinets. None of
them sold for less than $300. So that told me something.

!