computer dies every couple minutes

Either the cursor disappears from the face of the earth or, if the cursor
stays alive, the screen freezes as if it saw the boogyman. I'm running on
XP pro. I'm cleaning my machine with a spyware doctor, spybot, adaware,
and AVG. Help anyone?
2 answers Last reply
More about computer dies couple minutes

    Could be a hardware problem or overheating. Make sure the fans are
    working properly especially on the CPU. Get
    Motherboard Monitor. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311
    It checks your temps and Power
    Supply Voltages. 12, 5 and 3.3v lines. They shouldnt dip below 5%.
    Also, get memtest or MS Ram checking
    utility. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Computer freezing randomly? Here are some solutions that might help..

    1. Make sure that your fans are working properly. Especially the fan on your
    processor's heatsink. The fans should also be dust free as well as all
    peripheral cards and the expansion slots themselves. If necessary, remove
    the fan and physically clean the blades. The heatsink for your processor
    (and the one on your video card if you have one) should also be dust free.

    2. Make sure your computer is not in a room that is unusually warm during
    the day. If it is hovering around 30°C (86°F), consider moving it to a
    different room or find a way to keep the room cooler.

    3. Perform a hard drive defrag.

    4. Make sure all of your device drivers are up to date. Especially video,
    audio, and network drivers.

    --
    Use these spyware scanners to erraticate your spyware problem:
    *Make sure you check for spyware definition updates for all of these

    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    Ad-Aware SE 1.06 Personal
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spyware Blaster 3.4

    Spy Sweeper 4.0.3 Build 405
    http://www.webroot.com

    XoftSpy 4.15
    http://www.paretologic.com

    CWShredder 2.15*

    * = Use the standalone version of CWShredder.

Cursor Computers Windows XP