low disc space

July 30, 2005 3:21:03 PM

i have a 6 gig hard drive but windows is telling me i have only 968MB left
..i have run check disc all ok.when i count the total of all files and folders
including hidden ones in this drive it come to 2.76GB. .has any one see my
missing 2.34GB ???can you all look down the back of your sofas or in your
pockets!

More about : low disc space

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:49:14 PM

I've checked my couch, and it only has some loose change & potato chip crumbs. :0)

Do you only have a 6 GB HD, or is your XP on a 6 GB partition? A total of 6GB HD is quite small these days, to hold XP plus your data files.

Check the Windows Explorer "View" options --- set it to show you all folders; all system folders; & hidden files.
Bring up Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options/ select VIEW Tab and look at all of settings listed.

"CHECK" (turn on) Display the contents of system folders.

Under column, Hidden files and folders----choose ( *select* ) Show hidden files and folders.
Next, un-check Hide extensions for known file types.
Next un-check Hide protected operating system files.

Now then, in Windows Explorer, go to My Computer. See how much free space is on your HD.

Run Disk Cleanup to free up space.
Search for all .tmp files & remove them. Find your \Temp folders & clean them out.

Look at the root of your C drive. How large is the Pagefile.sys (swap file) ?

If you see a Hiberfil.sys and you do not use hibernation, you may delete that file.

Did you ever download the "full" network version of any XP service pack?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

pyewacket wrote:
> i have a 6 gig hard drive but windows is telling me i have only
> 968MB left .i have run check disc all ok.when i count the total of
> all files and folders including hidden ones in this drive it come to
> 2.76GB. .has any one see my missing 2.34GB ???can you all look down
> the back of your sofas or in your pockets!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:49:15 PM

located and got rid of my hibernation file and already ran clean up but sill
missing space now showing total file and folder amount 3.96.this is a 6gb hd
not partition have also got 200gb hd for storing everything else 6gb c: is
just for windows . my swapfile is 1.12 gb ,how big is yours nudge nudge wink
wink!!
July 30, 2005 8:13:01 PM

My Pagefile is at 72 MB. I've selected the custom option for mine. Initial size 70 MB. I've chosen maximum size of 900 MB ( something my pc is highly unlikely to need). This allows the pagefile to stay small, and grow if and when Windows needs to enlarge it.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

pyewacket wrote:
> located and got rid of my hibernation file and already ran clean up
> but sill missing space now showing total file and folder amount
> 3.96.this is a 6gb hd not partition have also got 200gb hd for
> storing everything else 6gb c: is just for windows . my swapfile is
> 1.12 gb ,how big is yours nudge nudge wink wink!!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:35:22 PM

P.S.
Substantial space can be reclaimed, after having installed a Service Pack --- you can archive (to CD/DVDs) or remove the SP "un-install" set of data.

If you are really double-sure positive you'd never want to undo old patches from Windows Update--
then you could delete the individual $NtUninstallxxnnnnnn folders.
Just know that would make the patches un-installable .

Those are individual hotfix un-install folders. You may delete those.
The registry will have leftover entries; so you need to get into Add/Remove Programs,
select these items. It will fail the uninstall, and then allow you to remove listing from registry.

Also, be aware, if you made recent 'optional' updates 'after' installing a service pack ---
then those would be among that set of folders.

If you will never need to un-install the service pack, the $NTServicePackUninstall$ folder (about 200MB) can be removed.

On the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles folder.... you can archive it to CD, then delete it.
You'll need to update the registry key at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup.
Modify the ServicePackSourcePath value at that location to reflect the new path.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

pyewacket wrote:
> located and got rid of my hibernation file and already ran clean up
> but sill missing space now showing total file and folder amount
> 3.96.this is a 6gb hd not partition have also got 200gb hd for
> storing everything else 6gb c: is just for windows . my swapfile is
> 1.12 gb ,how big is yours nudge nudge wink wink!!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:37:57 PM

Do a system cleanup. Open MyComputer>rt click on your Drive Icon>select
properties>disk cleanup>more options>system restore-cleanup. Say yes to all.
Try System Mechanic for free 30 days.
www.iolo.com Good registry and system cleaner.

!