Can't preview jpeg & bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax..

Can't preview jpeg and bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. I used
to be able to do this but now, when I double-click on a thumbnail, my screen
just blinks. When I manually select to open a file in Windows Picture & Fax
Viewer, the message "No preview available" is displayed. Inputs, anyone?
--
XP Home User
3 answers Last reply

    1. Start>Run
    2. type in: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    3. Press Enter
    This should associate the jpeg files with the Picture and Fax Viewer.

    Further info is needed:

    Line #80. Disable or Restore Picture and Fax Viewer

    Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

    "Rammy" <Rammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can't preview jpeg and bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. I used
    > to be able to do this but now, when I double-click on a thumbnail, my screen
    > just blinks. When I manually select to open a file in Windows Picture & Fax
    > Viewer, the message "No preview available" is displayed. Inputs, anyone?
    > --
    > XP Home User
  2. Source: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725997

    The fie type you are trying to Fax no longer has the printto command associated with it.

    I used this freeware:
    http://izt.name/apps/types/

    Let's say you can't fax a .jpg file.

    1. Open the freeware program and type inside it jpg
    This will automatically scroll down the list of extensions to jpg.

    2. Double click on jpg to open its options.

    3. Actions TAB

    4. Next to green + type in
    printto

    5. Click on green +

    6. Select newly added printto

    7. Next to yellow folder icon paste this
    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

    Exit program.

    Repeat for all file types you are having problems faxing.

    .bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff
    .pdf .doc .xls
  3. In addition to the steps:
    1. Start>Run
    2. type in: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    3. Press Enter
    This should associate the jpeg files with the Picture and Fax Viewer.

    If that doesn't work, try the steps below:

    - In windows explorer, go to Tool > Folder Options, File Types tab, and navigate to each of your media extensions (.jpg, .jpeg, .bmp etc)

    - Ensure Open With is set to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
    - Click on Advanced tab, highlight Open and click on Edit
    - Uncheck Use DDE box and click on OK

    This works for me.

Fax Support Microsoft Windows XP