Can't preview jpeg & bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax..

July 30, 2005 4:40:03 PM

Can't preview jpeg and bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. I used
to be able to do this but now, when I double-click on a thumbnail, my screen
just blinks. When I manually select to open a file in Windows Picture & Fax
Viewer, the message "No preview available" is displayed. Inputs, anyone?
--
XP Home User
Anonymous

1. Start>Run
2. type in: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
3. Press Enter
This should associate the jpeg files with the Picture and Fax Viewer.

Further info is needed:

Line #80. Disable or Restore Picture and Fax Viewer

Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

"Rammy" <Rammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't preview jpeg and bitmap files in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. I used
> to be able to do this but now, when I double-click on a thumbnail, my screen
> just blinks. When I manually select to open a file in Windows Picture & Fax
> Viewer, the message "No preview available" is displayed. Inputs, anyone?
> --
> XP Home User
January 30, 2013 2:22:07 PM

Source: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725...

The fie type you are trying to Fax no longer has the printto command associated with it.

I used this freeware:
http://izt.name/apps/types/

Let's say you can't fax a .jpg file.

1. Open the freeware program and type inside it jpg
This will automatically scroll down the list of extensions to jpg.

2. Double click on jpg to open its options.

3. Actions TAB

4. Next to green + type in
printto

5. Click on green +

6. Select newly added printto

7. Next to yellow folder icon paste this
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Exit program.

Repeat for all file types you are having problems faxing.

.bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff
.pdf .doc .xls
August 21, 2013 7:36:10 PM

In addition to the steps:
1. Start>Run
2. type in: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
3. Press Enter
This should associate the jpeg files with the Picture and Fax Viewer.

If that doesn't work, try the steps below:

- In windows explorer, go to Tool > Folder Options, File Types tab, and navigate to each of your media extensions (.jpg, .jpeg, .bmp etc)

- Ensure Open With is set to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
- Click on Advanced tab, highlight Open and click on Edit
- Uncheck Use DDE box and click on OK

This works for me.
!