insufficen memory, error message

jimh

What can I do to make at least 620k of conventional (lower) memory available
in Windows XP? After booting up there is presently 598k of memory available.
I want to run an old DOS program that is a lower memory hog.
--
JGHJGH

Boot to dos floppy. (http://bootdisk.com )

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"JimH" <jghannin@bechtel.com(nospam)> wrote in message news:5695D33A-CFCA-427C-A1F6-AB4506F599F5@microsoft.com...
> What can I do to make at least 620k of conventional (lower) memory available
> in Windows XP? After booting up there is presently 598k of memory available.
> I want to run an old DOS program that is a lower memory hog.
> --
> JGHJGH

jimh

Mark, Thank you for the reply. I am trying to laod everything high as Windows
XP boots up. I have tried loading high in the config.sys file but it has no
effect on the booting up by XP.

Thanks again

Jim
--
JGHJGH

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Boot to dos floppy. (http://bootdisk.com )
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "JimH" <jghannin@bechtel.com(nospam)> wrote in message news:5695D33A-CFCA-427C-A1F6-AB4506F599F5@microsoft.com...
> > What can I do to make at least 620k of conventional (lower) memory available
> > in Windows XP? After booting up there is presently 598k of memory available.
> > I want to run an old DOS program that is a lower memory hog.
> > --
> > JGHJGH

Hi Jim,

My setup shows 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
633024 largest executable program size

Go to your XP command prompt, and type in MEM

Key contents of my Autoexec.nt
@echo off

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

*** key contents of my config.nt file

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

JimH wrote:
> Mark, Thank you for the reply. I am trying to laod everything high as
> Windows XP boots up. I have tried loading high in the config.sys file
> but it has no effect on the booting up by XP.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jim
>
>>> What can I do to make at least 620k of conventional (lower) memory
>>> available in Windows XP? After booting up there is presently 598k
>>> of memory available. I want to run an old DOS program that is a
>>> lower memory hog. --
>>> JGHJGH

jimh

Maurice, I have tried editing the files but still have no luck. Would it be
possible for you to e-mail your files to me? Please include the correct path
and I will simply copy them into my laptop computer.
--
JGHJGH

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> My setup shows 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
> 633024 largest executable program size
>
> Go to your XP command prompt, and type in MEM
>
> Key contents of my Autoexec.nt
> @echo off
>
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
>
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
>
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
>

> *** key contents of my config.nt file
>
> dos=high, umb
> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> files=40
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> JimH wrote:
> > Mark, Thank you for the reply. I am trying to laod everything high as
> > Windows XP boots up. I have tried loading high in the config.sys file
> > but it has no effect on the booting up by XP.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Jim

The files belong in your Windows' System32 folder. Either \Windows\System32 or at \WINNT\System32.
Be sure you only use Notepad to edit the Config.NT or the Autoexec.NT file.
And before you do any editing, first thing, SAVE a copy of each file.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

JimH wrote:
> Maurice, I have tried editing the files but still have no luck. Would
> it be possible for you to e-mail your files to me? Please include the
> correct path and I will simply copy them into my laptop computer.
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> My setup shows 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
>> 633024 largest executable program size
>>
>> Go to your XP command prompt, and type in MEM
>>
>> Key contents of my Autoexec.nt
>> @echo off
>>
>> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
>>
>> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
>>
>> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
>>

>> *** key contents of my config.nt file
>>
>> dos=high, umb
>> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
>> files=40
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> JimH wrote:
>>> Mark, Thank you for the reply. I am trying to laod everything high
>>> as Windows XP boots up. I have tried loading high in the config.sys
>>> file but it has no effect on the booting up by XP.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>> Jim

jimh

Maurice, I finally got it right. Thanks for your help. I could not have done
it without your help.

Thanks again

Jim
--
JGHJGH

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> The files belong in your Windows' System32 folder. Either \Windows\System32 or at \WINNT\System32.
> Be sure you only use Notepad to edit the Config.NT or the Autoexec.NT file.
> And before you do any editing, first thing, SAVE a copy of each file.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> JimH wrote:
> > Maurice, I have tried editing the files but still have no luck. Would
> > it be possible for you to e-mail your files to me? Please include the
> > correct path and I will simply copy them into my laptop computer.
> >
> >> Hi Jim,
> >>
> >> My setup shows 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
> >> 633024 largest executable program size
> >>
> >> Go to your XP command prompt, and type in MEM
> >>
> >> Key contents of my Autoexec.nt
> >> @echo off
> >>
> >> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
> >>
> >> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir