Weird Issues with XP Pro

Richy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hi,
Have been away on business and returned to be told by the wife that the
computer was playing up.
Upon investigation, the obvious things are as follows.
a) No start/programs menu
b) No Favourites menuin IE, although you can access them by clicking on the
star
c) Unable to access start/control panel/user accounts. No icons are
displayed, but there is a message which says "wrong number of arguments or
invalid property assignment"
d) Unable to do a system restore from any restore point.
e) some weird message from Norton AV 2005 about not being able to run MSI
which will not go away unless you tell it not to scan MSN messages.

Other than that it seems to be functioning ok.

Any suggestions before i decide to trash it and start again?

Thanks in advance
Richy

Sounds like a virus. try some of the online virus scanners like
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ also check out
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/useraccbg.htm the second option fixed my issues
with the user accounts.