duplicate entries in device managers.

July 30, 2005 5:24:01 PM

Little picture: I have what appear to be duplicate entries in device manager
For instance I have 2 each of the following:
Intel (R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
and
Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

Bigger picture: I have intermittent bootup blue screens which is why I'm
looking at the device manager in the first place. It blue screens so quickly
I'm unable to read it, sometimes it doesn't blue screen at all. When it does
blue screen I say start windows normally 2x and then everything is okay. I
have absolutely zero problems once the computer is booted up, just difficulty
booting. I have been unable to figure out what's causing the boot up issue.

Little picture: Should I be concerned about the duplicate entries in device
manager, there are no exclamation points whatsoever. No conflicts I can see.
Should I do anything or if I make changes am I risking making my computer
even more unstable.

By the way, running Gateway media center 3 GHz

Thanks
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:57:16 AM

Viviank wrote:
> Little picture: I have what appear to be duplicate entries
> in device manager For instance I have 2 each of the
> following:
> Intel (R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
> Primary IDE Channel
> Secondary IDE Channel
> and
> Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
>
> Bigger picture: I have intermittent bootup blue screens
> which is why I'm looking at the device manager in the first
> place. It blue screens so quickly I'm unable to read it,
> sometimes it doesn't blue screen at all. When it does blue
> screen I say start windows normally 2x and then everything
> is okay. I have absolutely zero problems once the computer
> is booted up, just difficulty booting. I have been unable
> to figure out what's causing the boot up issue.
>
> Little picture: Should I be concerned about the duplicate
> entries in device manager, there are no exclamation points
> whatsoever. No conflicts I can see. Should I do anything or
> if I make changes am I risking making my computer even more
> unstable.
>
> By the way, running Gateway media center 3 GHz
>
> Thanks

Little picture answer:
Your Pentium 4 processor supports Hyper-Threading. That's why
you see two entries in Device Manager. Take a look towards the
bottom of this article for more details:

Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows XP Device
Manager
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb...

Big picture answer:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced tab, click on "Settings" in the Startup and
Recovery section.
In the System Failure section uncheck Automatically Restart.
Click OK twice.
Now when a blue screen is displayed it will stay until you
restart you computer.
Make note of any relevant info and take a look at this site to
troubleshoot the error message:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Good luck

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:45:04 PM

Thanks for your response. I won't worry about the duplicate entries. I took
your advice and I can read my blue screen now. I've read your link, but still
can't figure out what is causing the problem. My error is

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
(OXF86EEF12, OX00000000, OXF86ADOS1, OX00000000)

I suspect my problem might be a digital research scanner I tried to install,
but I really thought I removed everything there. It does not show up any
longer in my device manager. Is there anywhere else that this scanner might
be lurking and causing me problems. Thanks in advance.

Vivian

> Little picture answer:
> Your Pentium 4 processor supports Hyper-Threading. That's why
> you see two entries in Device Manager. Take a look towards the
> bottom of this article for more details:
>
> Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows XP Device
> Manager
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb...
>
> Big picture answer:
> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
> In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
> On the Advanced tab, click on "Settings" in the Startup and
> Recovery section.
> In the System Failure section uncheck Automatically Restart.
> Click OK twice.
> Now when a blue screen is displayed it will stay until you
> restart you computer.
> Make note of any relevant info and take a look at this site to
> troubleshoot the error message:
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

August 1, 2005 1:02:12 AM

Answered inline.

Viviank wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I won't worry about the duplicate
> entries. I took your advice and I can read my blue screen
> now. I've read your link, but still can't figure out what is
> causing the problem. My error is
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
> (OXF86EEF12, OX00000000, OXF86ADOS1, OX00000000)
>
> I suspect my problem might be a digital research scanner I
> tried to install, but I really thought I removed everything
> there. It does not show up any longer in my device manager.
> Is there anywhere else that this scanner might be lurking
> and causing me problems. Thanks in advance.
>
> Vivian

FYI, here's what Microsoft has to say about that error message:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

We'll get back to this article later but first, a few
questions:

1. On the blue screen, were there any files mentioned?
Something ending with .sys maybe? What is the exact message?

2. What installation files did you use when you tried to
install the scanner? Were they specifically written for use
with Windows XP? If they weren't supplied with the scanner
where did you get them?

3. When did you try to install the scanner? If it was recently,
say within the last few days, have you considered using System
Restore to take your computer back to a time before the
installation? In case you're not familiar with System Restore,
here's an article with more info:

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

4. Did you look in Event Viewer to see if there were any errors
or warnings listed that could be related to your problem?

If you can't find an obvious source for this problem then you
might want to do the following:

First, post your question with as much detail as you can to the
Windows XP Hardware newsgroup. Use a title which describes the
problem.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA might cover it.

Next, try some of the suggestions in the Microsoft article. For
instance download and run memtest86 from this location:
http://www.memtest86.com/. To run chkdsk, do the following:

Go to Start ->Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
Click OK.
In the command prompt window enter chkdsk C:\ /r /f and hit
Enter.
You'll have to reboot your computer to complete the procedure
so hit Y when asked.

Finally, if you find yourself spending more than a few hours
trying to solve this problem, and you decide to take your
computer somewhere to have it repaired, make sure that you have
backed up all of your important data files. Make sure you have
all the media necessary to reinstall your software
applications. I've heard too many horror stories from people
whose systems were wiped clean and restored to their original
factory state with no warning by repair shops.

Nepatsfan

>> Little picture answer:
>> Your Pentium 4 processor supports Hyper-Threading. That's
>> why you see two entries in Device Manager. Take a look
>> towards the bottom of this article for more details:
>>
>> Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows XP Device
>> Manager
>> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb...
>>
>> Big picture answer:
>> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
>> In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
>> On the Advanced tab, click on "Settings" in the Startup and
>> Recovery section.
>> In the System Failure section uncheck Automatically Restart.
>> Click OK twice.
>> Now when a blue screen is displayed it will stay until you
>> restart you computer.
>> Make note of any relevant info and take a look at this site
>> to troubleshoot the error message:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:02:13 AM

Thanks for all your input. I think that I will post over in hardware. I did
look in the event viewer and the only error I see is the print port scanner
driver service failed to start due to the following err: The service cannot
be started, either because it is desabled or because it has no enabled
devices associated with it. BUT, my boot up problems happen about every
other time I boot up and I have that error everytime I boot up, whether I
blue screen or not.

No the Stop error did not reference any .sys files, I guess that would have
made things to easy for me.

I did download the microsoft memory checker, and my memory checked out okay.
Do you recommend that I use the other memory checker that you linked rather
than microsofts?

I screwed around with the scanner quite some time ago. Problem is, since
I'm not the person who usually boots up the computer, I didn't find out about
the error until system restore was no longer a viable option. And
unfortunately, the problem that I ran into was that the scanner was not
compatible with xp, I used the scanner on my old computer, so that's why I
don't have it hooked up. I never could get it to work properly. I'm still
not sure the scanner is the problem.

I REALLY have trouble going into safe mode, it blue screens a lot when I do
that.

I have run a disk check, but it checked out okay.

Thanks for your help. If I spend too much time, I'm going to put the disk
in that restores everything to a brand new state, but that's a last resort.

Thanks again.

Viviank

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> >> Little picture answer:
> >> Your Pentium 4 processor supports Hyper-Threading. That's
> >> why you see two entries in Device Manager. Take a look
> >> towards the bottom of this article for more details:
> >>
> >> Verifying Hyper-Threading Technology in Windows XP Device
> >> Manager
> >> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb...
> >>
> >> Big picture answer:
> >> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
> >> In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
> >> On the Advanced tab, click on "Settings" in the Startup and
> >> Recovery section.
> >> In the System Failure section uncheck Automatically Restart.
> >> Click OK twice.
> >> Now when a blue screen is displayed it will stay until you
> >> restart you computer.
> >> Make note of any relevant info and take a look at this site

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:14:05 PM

Running memtest86 might be helpful. At the very least it would
confirm the MS test results.

If you have an XP installation disk, as opposed to a recovery
CD, you might want to try a repair installation. Take a look
here for the procedure:

Good luck

Nepatsfan

!