Service Pack 3

I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service Pack
3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install it.
It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then went into
some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk - trying either
disk one or two. I tried them both and it still wouldn't install.
I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to think it is already on
my computer and it couldn't find anything.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
17 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    Not Window SP3, but an office SP3. Suggest you check with the appropriate
    Office Newsgroup or Office Update Newsgroup.
    Tom
    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    |I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service Pack
    | 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install it.
    | It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then went into
    | some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk - trying either
    | disk one or two. I tried them both and it still wouldn't install.
    | I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to think it is already on
    | my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    | Does anyone have any ideas?
    | Thanks.

    Be very careful of what's going on here. There is no service pack 3 for Windows XP.
    Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk.

    How did this notice show up? Is it from an email? If it is an email, stop what you are doing, and do not do what it says.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    PattiChati wrote:
    > I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service
    > Pack
    > 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install
    > it. It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then
    > went into some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk -
    > trying either disk one or two. I tried them both and it still
    > wouldn't install. I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to
    > think it is already on my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    It says "updates are ready for your computer". It is an update notice from
    Windows. It looks like a yellow shield icon. When I was able to get all
    the way through it, it was for the Service Pack 3. I know I have the
    Service Pack 2 on now, so I just assume this is an update to that.
    But the yellow shield won't go away.

    PattiChati wrote:
    > I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service
    > Pack
    > 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install
    > it. It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then
    > went into some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk -
    > trying either disk one or two. I tried them both and it still
    > wouldn't install. I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to
    > think it is already on my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time continuum
    as "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> revealed in

    > Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk

    You didn't perhaps misunderstand which app precisely was asking for this
    SP3? Is/has there been an SP3 for Works/Word/Office/Whatever MSApp, and
    might this perhaps "phone home" to Uncle Bill to check on updates?

    --
    Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual

    To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com

    Okay, I am not sure how to find such a newsgroup. I went under
    msnews.microsoft and typed in office. I got a few "public word - office",
    but they were not in my language. They had stuff like "backoffice", etc. I
    know before people on here have gotten upset with me because I post in the
    wrong newsgroup. I don't know how to post in any other newsgroup, this one
    was given to me by my computer guy.
    How exactly do I find newsgroups pertinent to my questions. I see where you
    can type in a search, but most of what I type in it says it's not available.
    I have gone to the "help" section on newsgroups and am doing what it says,
    but still not having luck.
    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > Not Window SP3, but an office SP3. Suggest you check with the appropriate
    > Office Newsgroup or Office Update Newsgroup.
    > Tom
    > "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > |I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service
    > Pack
    > | 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install
    > it.
    > | It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then went
    > into
    > | some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk - trying either
    > | disk one or two. I tried them both and it still wouldn't install.
    > | I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to think it is already
    > on
    > | my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    > | Does anyone have any ideas?
    > | Thanks.

    Patti

    If you have MS Office installed, that is the target of the update.. it would
    be prudent to allow it..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Try the groups at microsoft.public.officeupdate
    or
    microsoft.public.word.newusers

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    PattiChati wrote:
    > Okay, I am not sure how to find such a newsgroup. I went under
    > msnews.microsoft and typed in office. I got a few "public word -
    > office", but they were not in my language. They had stuff like
    > "backoffice", etc. I know before people on here have gotten upset
    > with me because I post in the wrong newsgroup. I don't know how to
    > post in any other newsgroup, this one was given to me by my computer
    > guy. How exactly do I find newsgroups pertinent to my questions. I
    > see where you can type in a search, but most of what I type in it
    > says it's not available. I have gone to the "help" section on
    > newsgroups and am doing what it says, but still not having luck.

    "Installing Office XP Service Pack 3 is what it is asking for?" Now what is
    this and how do I get it to install, I don't have the disks it wants?
    "Filthy McNasty" <filthy-mcnasty@here.now> wrote in message
    > Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
    > continuum
    > as "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> revealed in
    >
    >> Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk
    >
    > You didn't perhaps misunderstand which app precisely was asking for this
    > SP3? Is/has there been an SP3 for Works/Word/Office/Whatever MSApp, and
    > might this perhaps "phone home" to Uncle Bill to check on updates?
    >
    > --
    > Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual
    >
    > To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com

    I have been trying to install it but it asks for a Works disk, not a word
    disk and I dont even have Works. I tried putting in the Word disk and it
    doesn't work. My Word disk is 2000 though and it wants 2002. Don't got
    that one!!!!! Help!!!
    > Patti
    >
    > If you have MS Office installed, that is the target of the update.. it
    > would be prudent to allow it..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >> It says "updates are ready for your computer". It is an update notice
    >> from Windows. It looks like a yellow shield icon. When I was able to
    >> get all the way through it, it was for the Service Pack 3. I know I have
    >> the Service Pack 2 on now, so I just assume this is an update to that.
    >> But the yellow shield won't go away.
    >> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Be very careful of what's going on here. There is no service pack 3 for
    >> Windows XP.
    >> Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk.
    >>
    >> How did this notice show up? Is it from an email? If it is an email,
    >> stop what you are doing, and do not do what it says.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> -----
    >>

    >> PattiChati wrote:
    >>> I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service
    >>> Pack
    >>> 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install
    >>> it. It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then
    >>> went into some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk -
    >>> trying either disk one or two. I tried them both and it still
    >>> wouldn't install. I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to
    >>> think it is already on my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas?
    >>> Thanks.

    Okay, this is the message it is giving me to put into my cd slot "Works
    Suite Word CD or DVD". I tried my 2002 Word and it didn't work.

    > Patti
    >
    > If you have MS Office installed, that is the target of the update.. it
    > would be prudent to allow it..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >> It says "updates are ready for your computer". It is an update notice
    >> from Windows. It looks like a yellow shield icon. When I was able to
    >> get all the way through it, it was for the Service Pack 3. I know I have
    >> the Service Pack 2 on now, so I just assume this is an update to that.
    >> But the yellow shield won't go away.
    >> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Be very careful of what's going on here. There is no service pack 3 for
    >> Windows XP.
    >> Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk.
    >>
    >> How did this notice show up? Is it from an email? If it is an email,
    >> stop what you are doing, and do not do what it says.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> -----
    >>

    >> PattiChati wrote:
    >>> I keep getting a notice saying I need to update my Windows to Service
    >>> Pack
    >>> 3. I have Service Pack 2 on already. I click to dowload and install
    >>> it. It then asks for my Works disk, which I don't have one. I then
    >>> went into some area where it said to put in my Microsoft Word disk -
    >>> trying either disk one or two. I tried them both and it still
    >>> wouldn't install. I am not sure what to do here. I went to browse to
    >>> think it is already on my computer and it couldn't find anything.
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas?
    >>> Thanks.

    Patti,

    You appear to be using Outlook Express to get to these newsgroups. Very good.
    Do you know how to look for specific newsgroups?

    The most appropriate group for your current situation is one of the 2 I've suggested before or
    microsoft.public.office.setup

    You should tell them in your post:
    a) Origin of this update. Did you get it from Office Update website, Microsoft Update website, or a CD ?
    b) What your pc currently has for word processor program / office-type suite. Is it a MS Office suite, MS Works or what?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    PattiChati wrote:
    > Okay, this is the message it is giving me to put into my cd slot
    > "Works Suite Word CD or DVD". I tried my 2002 Word and it didn't
    > work.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Okay, this is the message it is giving me to put into my cd slot "Works
    Suite Word CD or DVD". I tried my 2002 Word and it didn't work.
    "Filthy McNasty" <filthy-mcnasty@here.now> wrote in message
    > Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
    > continuum
    > as "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> revealed in
    >
    >> Also, any update for Windows will never ask for a Works or Word disk
    >
    > You didn't perhaps misunderstand which app precisely was asking for this
    > SP3? Is/has there been an SP3 for Works/Word/Office/Whatever MSApp, and
    > might this perhaps "phone home" to Uncle Bill to check on updates?
    >
    > --
    > Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual
    >
    > To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > "Installing Office XP Service Pack 3 is what it is asking for?" Now
    > what is this and how do I get it to install, I don't have the disks it
    > wants?

    If you don't have the disks, and the software was not pre-installed, then
    heed the other thread replies and do a thorough security/av check

    You didn't (cough) let a friend install THEIR copy of Office? Answers in
    invisible ink accepted &>}

    --
    Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual

    To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thank you VERY MUCH for the newsgroup name - now how did you find that
    newsgroup. I typed in all kinds of things and could not get anything that
    resembled that. Thanks again, I will try.

    PattiChati wrote:
    > Okay, this is the message it is giving me to put into my cd slot
    > "Works Suite Word CD or DVD". I tried my 2002 Word and it didn't
    > work.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    When searching (via O.E.), just type in some of the expected 'root' names with the word 'office'

    e.g. micrsoft.public.office

    OE will show you a matching list of groups that have that in the name.
    (For benefit of other viewers, this is for the English groups only. Other language groups have a qualifier after the word public)
    Best of luck.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    PattiChati wrote:
    > Thank you VERY MUCH for the newsgroup name - now how did you find that
    > newsgroup. I typed in all kinds of things and could not get anything
    > that resembled that. Thanks again, I will try.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    What do you mean do a thorough security check and NO, I have my own copy of
    Word, no one else installed it.
    Has no one else had notices to download Service Pack 3?
    > Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
    > continuum as "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> revealed in
    >
    >> "Installing Office XP Service Pack 3 is what it is asking for?" Now
    >> what is this and how do I get it to install, I don't have the disks it
    >> wants?
    >>

    > If you don't have the disks, and the software was not pre-installed, then
    > heed the other thread replies and do a thorough security/av check
    >
    > You didn't (cough) let a friend install THEIR copy of Office? Answers in
    > invisible ink accepted &>}
    >
    > --
    > Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual
    >
    > To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    What do you mean do a thorough security check and NO, I have my own copy
    of Word, no one else installed it.
    Has no one else had notices to download Service Pack 3? "Filthy McNasty"
    <filthy-mcnasty@here.now> wrote in message
    Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
    continuum as "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> revealed in
    "Installing Office XP Service Pack 3 is what it is asking for?" Now what
    is this and how do I get it to install, I don't have the disks it wants?
    If you don't have the disks, and the software was not pre-installed,
    then heed the other thread replies and do a thorough security/av check
    You didn't (cough) let a friend install THEIR copy of Office? Answers in
    invisible ink accepted &>}
    --
    Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
    usual
    To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces:           filthy-mcnasty @
    btconnect.com

    Yes, I saw this update tonite but I have a phone line. On the Microsoft
    Update page where the update is listed, click "details". Then on the
    "details" page at the bottom is a site to check for more explanation.
    Cllick that and you get extensive details including what to do if you do
    not have a disc. Good luck. Clementine.

Windows XP