Most Link Toolbar icons are now generic IE icons

On the links toolbar in IE6, the Google, Yahoo, and other icons have changed
from their specific icons to generic Explorer icons with the blue 'e.' How
can I get the 'real' icons back?

--
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German dramatist, novelist, poet, & scientist
(1749 - 1832)
1 answer Last reply
More about most link toolbar icons generic icons

    A favicon (favorite icon) is a customized image that Microsoft Internet
    Explorer uses, if it is available, as an icon to go with a user-specified
    bookmarked site on the Links bar at the top of a Web browser window. When
    you visit a link, Internet Explorer downloads the corresponding Favicon of
    that page and saves the file in the Cache. Usually the Favicon.ico file
    which contains the actual image, gets deleted once you clear the Temporary
    Internet Files cache. When the special icon file is lost, the URL is
    displayed with a standard IE icon.

    To preserve the special icon manually, you'll need to save the .ico file
    locally (In some cases, you will need to view the webpage source for the
    favicon URL) and then change the icon for the URL shortcut using the Change
    Icon wizard in Properties. This, of course, is a tedious task if you want
    have hundreds of links in the Favorites.

    AM-Deadlink makes this process easy by automating this process. It validates
    the URL address, then downloads the corresponding favicon file to your hard
    disk and then changes the icon references in the .URL file (Internet
    shortcuts).

    Download AM-Deadlink from: http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "rob" <robf59@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > On the links toolbar in IE6, the Google, Yahoo, and other icons have
    > changed from their specific icons to generic Explorer icons with the blue
    > 'e.' How can I get the 'real' icons back?
    >
    > --
    > "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    > Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
    >
    > Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German dramatist, novelist, poet, & scientist
    > (1749 - 1832)

Internet Explorer Icons Windows XP