Most Link Toolbar icons are now generic IE icons

July 31, 2005 3:01:43 AM

On the links toolbar in IE6, the Google, Yahoo, and other icons have changed
from their specific icons to generic Explorer icons with the blue 'e.' How
can I get the 'real' icons back?

--
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German dramatist, novelist, poet, & scientist
(1749 - 1832)
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 2:07:45 PM

A favicon (favorite icon) is a customized image that Microsoft Internet
Explorer uses, if it is available, as an icon to go with a user-specified
bookmarked site on the Links bar at the top of a Web browser window. When
you visit a link, Internet Explorer downloads the corresponding Favicon of
that page and saves the file in the Cache. Usually the Favicon.ico file
which contains the actual image, gets deleted once you clear the Temporary
Internet Files cache. When the special icon file is lost, the URL is
displayed with a standard IE icon.

To preserve the special icon manually, you'll need to save the .ico file
locally (In some cases, you will need to view the webpage source for the
favicon URL) and then change the icon for the URL shortcut using the Change
Icon wizard in Properties. This, of course, is a tedious task if you want
have hundreds of links in the Favorites.

AM-Deadlink makes this process easy by automating this process. It validates
the URL address, then downloads the corresponding favicon file to your hard
disk and then changes the icon references in the .URL file (Internet
shortcuts).

Download AM-Deadlink from: http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP