Linksys Wireless-G USB Adapter

I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine), and two
adapters - one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.

The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other computer's
internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.

The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose it's
connection, and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically unplug
the adapter and plug it back in again.

The network is the only one listed on my preferred network settings, and I
have WEP enabled. The Enable IEEE 802.1x autherication is disabled
(unchecked), as is the option for "The key is provided to me automatically"
option. The "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is
checked.

I have tried many things - for one, it appeared that Windows had installed
some sort of generic adapter on my computer when I first plugged this
adapter in - I disabled that, and seemed to be up for a while, before once
again losing my connectivity.

Then, under the advanced tab, I clicked on the "Access point (infrastruture)
networks only" button - I noticed a neighbor in the area had an Ad-Hoc
network, so I decided to see if this may work. Again, did for a while,
but then I lost my connection again.

It should also be noted that as of a few days ago, the network in this house
was set up differently - this computer had the router on it, and a different
computer (also with XP) had the second wireless adapter. That computer
never once had any issues with connectivity going down - it was always up,
which is kind of perplexing to me!

Any reasons that anybody can think of? Is there perhaps some interference
with some installed components on MY PC? (IE, I never did uninstall any of
the router software from this computer when I made the switch) Or do you
think that somehow my neighbor's network is still interferring with mine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
13 answers Last reply
More about linksys wireless adapter

    "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine),

    Which wireless-G Linksys Router? WRT54G? There are several models from
    Linksys. I use this WRT54G, by the way.

    > and two adapters

    Again, which adapters? The Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adapters? Again
    there are several models from Linksys. I have a WUSB54G adapter.

    > - one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.
    > The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other
    computer's
    > internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.
    >
    > The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose
    it's
    > connection,
    > and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
    > available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
    > me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically
    unplug
    > the adapter and plug it back in again.

    I have exactly the same problem with my WRT54G (connnected to my Rogers
    @Home cable modem, and wired connected to my desktop PC running XP Pro from
    which I configure the router), and with my wireless WUSB54G adapter
    connected to a laptop running XP Pro.

    By exactly, I mean the laptop with the wireless WUSB54G adater every now and
    then loses its wireless connection to the WRT54G router, and then comes up
    with a "One or more wireless networks are available" message, and then the
    only way to get back the wireless connection is to physically uplug the
    wireless adapter WUSB54G and then plug it back in again.

    And I have had this problem for several months and tried many different
    things/settings, but still have no solution/fix.

    PS: The driver installation CD that came with my Linksys wireless adapter
    WUSB54 simply won't install at all under my Windows XP Pro (whenever I run
    the setup.exe from the CD, the setup/installation window will show up or
    flash for a fraction of a second on the monitor/screen, and then will simply
    quit!). On the other hand, this setup CD runs just fine on another of my
    machines which runs Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. This
    driver installation CD from Linksys does say on its cover that it's for
    Windows 2000 and XP only (not for 98, etc) but somehow it does not work with
    XP!

    James

    > The network is the only one listed on my preferred network settings, and I
    > have WEP enabled. The Enable IEEE 802.1x autherication is disabled
    > (unchecked), as is the option for "The key is provided to me
    automatically"
    > option. The "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"
    is
    > checked.
    >
    > I have tried many things - for one, it appeared that Windows had installed
    > some sort of generic adapter on my computer when I first plugged this
    > adapter in - I disabled that, and seemed to be up for a while, before once
    > again losing my connectivity.
    >
    > Then, under the advanced tab, I clicked on the "Access point
    (infrastruture)
    > networks only" button - I noticed a neighbor in the area had an Ad-Hoc
    > network, so I decided to see if this may work. Again, did for a while,
    > but then I lost my connection again.
    >
    > It should also be noted that as of a few days ago, the network in this
    house
    > was set up differently - this computer had the router on it, and a
    different
    > computer (also with XP) had the second wireless adapter. That computer
    > never once had any issues with connectivity going down - it was always up,
    > which is kind of perplexing to me!
    >
    > Any reasons that anybody can think of? Is there perhaps some interference
    > with some installed components on MY PC? (IE, I never did uninstall any
    of
    > the router software from this computer when I made the switch) Or do you
    > think that somehow my neighbor's network is still interferring with mine?
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.

    It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this machine
    and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
    perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist SOME
    settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on their
    PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably came
    with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what the
    issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you are
    playing an online game or something :)

    Tom

    I have noticed that both me and my neighbor (though I have no idea WHICH
    neighbor also has a wireless network going) are both on Channel 6 - I wonder
    if changing my channel would help any?

    James wrote:

    >"Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine),
    >>

    >Which wireless-G Linksys Router? WRT54G? There are several models from
    >Linksys. I use this WRT54G, by the way.
    >

    >>and two adapters
    >>

    >Again, which adapters? The Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adapters? Again
    >there are several models from Linksys. I have a WUSB54G adapter.
    >

    >>- one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.
    >>The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other
    >>

    >computer's
    >

    >>internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.
    >>
    >>The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose
    >>

    >it's
    >

    >>connection,
    >>and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
    >>available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
    >>me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically
    >>

    >unplug
    >

    >>the adapter and plug it back in again.
    >>

    >I have exactly the same problem with my WRT54G (connnected to my Rogers
    >@Home cable modem, and wired connected to my desktop PC running XP Pro from
    >which I configure the router), and with my wireless WUSB54G adapter
    >connected to a laptop running XP Pro.
    >
    >By exactly, I mean the laptop with the wireless WUSB54G adater every now and
    >then loses its wireless connection to the WRT54G router, and then comes up
    >with a "One or more wireless networks are available" message, and then the
    >only way to get back the wireless connection is to physically uplug the
    >wireless adapter WUSB54G and then plug it back in again.

    You're lucky. Unplugging the wusb54g adapter does nothing for me. I have
    to climb two flights of stairs and then go to the far end of the house
    to pull the plug on the wrt54g and then count to 10 before plugging it
    back in.

    --
    Bill

    Not sure about that. Though I also noticed one of neighbors alos has a
    wireless connection with THE Linksys router. And I have tried my router on
    Channels 1, 5, 6, and 11 but saw no difference (as far as the wireless
    connection drops frequently is concerned).

    James

    > Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.
    >
    > It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this machine
    > and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
    > perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist SOME
    > settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on
    their
    > PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably
    came
    > with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what
    the
    > issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you
    are
    > playing an online game or something :)

    I guess it depends on how frequently this wireless connection break/drop
    happens. In my case, sometimes I have the wireless connection for 2 or 3
    days before a break happens (great! and I can live with that!), but
    sometimes the connections breaks every half an hour! (Now that is a MAJOR
    problem ;-)

    James

    > Tom

    Agreed - I haven't gone two or three days yet though - most I have gone is
    about 5 or so hours, and I usually keep it for 2 hours or so.......I must
    say that I must be in a good mood if I am willing to accept this - probably
    because for a few weeks before switching the cable modem from this PC to
    another one, the cable modem's connection was dropping every hour or so (due
    to faulty cable wiring in this particular location in the house)

    Tom
    "James" <james_toronto@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.
    > >
    > > It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this
    machine
    > > and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
    > > perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist
    SOME
    > > settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on
    > their
    > > PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably
    > came
    > > with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what
    > the
    > > issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you
    > are
    > > playing an online game or something :)
    >
    > I guess it depends on how frequently this wireless connection break/drop
    > happens. In my case, sometimes I have the wireless connection for 2 or 3
    > days before a break happens (great! and I can live with that!), but
    > sometimes the connections breaks every half an hour! (Now that is a MAJOR
    > problem ;-)
    >
    > James
    >
    > > Tom

    This thread has some ideas I haven't tried - ie, I use the 128-bit
    encryption, and this site says to switch it to 64, etc. Also brings up the
    channel changing and not broadcasting the SSID..... I am willing to try
    anything; not like the current settings are doing me any good :)

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8588939~mode=flat

    Your computer will not switch back and forth between access points just
    because they use the same channel. But they might do that if they both have
    the same SSID. You should definitely not be using the default SSID.

    Changing the channel will reduce interference from your neighbor, thus
    improving performance.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > I have noticed that both me and my neighbor (though I have no idea WHICH
    > neighbor also has a wireless network going) are both on Channel 6 - I
    wonder
    > if changing my channel would help any?

    Well, my latest fix SEEMS to be working - connection has been up for 16
    hours, which is the longest yet.

    All I did was click the UPDATE DRIVER button when I go into the
    configuration for the adapter itself - it doesn't load a Linksys driver - it
    is something from Microsoft itself - but ever since I did that, I have not
    experienced a disconnect.

    (And there is a possibility that this is just a fluke, and I was bound to
    get a longer connection eventually...........so we'll see how much longer it
    holds up)

    "James" <james_toronto@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<LfIpc.17458$YmM1.1439@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
    > "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    <<SNIP>
    > PS: The driver installation CD that came with my Linksys wireless adapter
    > WUSB54 simply won't install at all under my Windows XP Pro (whenever I run
    > the setup.exe from the CD, the setup/installation window will show up or
    > flash for a fraction of a second on the monitor/screen, and then will simply
    > quit!). On the other hand, this setup CD runs just fine on another of my
    > machines which runs Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. This
    > driver installation CD from Linksys does say on its cover that it's for
    > Windows 2000 and XP only (not for 98, etc) but somehow it does not work with
    > XP!

    Here are the answers:

    Check http://www.linksys.com/faqs

    1) The software on the CD is for 98/ME/2000 ONLY!!! Don't install the
    software it interferes with the built in Wireless Zero Configuration
    (WZC) utility in XP.
    2) Go to Control Panel-ADD/REMOVE at the bottom of the list remove the
    WIRELESS listed there.
    3) Do what the otherside of the instructions say; XP requires the
    hardware installed first while the PC is turned off, then turn on the
    system, the hardware wizard will turn on when booted up, pop in the
    CD, when the CD "spins up" click Next, and just answer YES to any
    prompts by Microsoft saying it didn't approve the product. Click
    Finish - Done.
    4) Use the WZC in the systray (by the clock) with a RIGHT mouse click
    and select VIEW AVAILABLE NETWORK CONNECTIONS and find your
    connection, click on it, if WEP is enabled put in your key 2x or else
    check the white check box and select connect.
    5) **** START->CONTROL PANEL=>NETWORK AND DIALUP=>NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    ****
    DELETE NETWORK BRIDGE!!!!

    REASONS WHY IT CYCLES CONNECTIONS:

    1) Change the SSID/Channel of the router; If someone else in your
    neighborhood (you can see thier network names in the WZC) has a
    Linksys they too will be broadcasting EXACTLY the same Factory name
    and channel, which the computer doesn't understand as 2 different
    networks. Change your SSID to your Last Name and try Channels 9,10, or
    11
    2) Windows XP Hotfix installed that REQUIRES WEP be enabled for a
    connection to work, enable WEP, generate a key and try logging in.
    3) Too Far, Linksys routers are 100Feet indoors range line of site no
    interference or physcial structures (walls/doors/floors/etc.) More
    barriers less distance especially thru lead piping and so forth.
    4) 2.4G Phones DO interfere with the signal, unplug the POWER to the
    BASE STATION (thing you plug your phone into) if the wireless works
    then there is the problem
    5) Setting the router ON TOP OF the monitor/by the speakers WILL
    interfere as the EM pulses from those pieces of equipment will
    interfere with the signal.

    IF all else fails try Linksys Free Support linke 18003267114
    6)

    Thank you for the guide, and I will certainly give it a try.

    Regards,
    James

    "NeroGoth" <google@nerogoth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > networks. Change your SSID to your Last Name and try Channels 9,10, or
    > 11
    > 2) Windows XP Hotfix installed that REQUIRES WEP be enabled for a
    > connection to work, enable WEP, generate a key and try logging in.
    > 3) Too Far, Linksys routers are 100Feet indoors range line of site no
    > interference or physcial structures (walls/doors/floors/etc.) More
    > barriers less distance especially thru lead piping and so forth.
    > 4) 2.4G Phones DO interfere with the signal, unplug the POWER to the
    > BASE STATION (thing you plug your phone into) if the wireless works
    > then there is the problem
    > 5) Setting the router ON TOP OF the monitor/by the speakers WILL
    > interfere as the EM pulses from those pieces of equipment will
    > interfere with the signal.
    >
    > IF all else fails try Linksys Free Support linke 18003267114
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    I just want to report that ever since I hit the "Update Driver" button, I
    have been online for close to seven or so days......... so I think that was
    my problem.

Wireless Linksys Windows XP Wireless Networking