Linksys Wireless-G USB Adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 6:55:02 PM

I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine), and two
adapters - one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.

The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other computer's
internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.

The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose it's
connection, and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically unplug
the adapter and plug it back in again.

The network is the only one listed on my preferred network settings, and I
have WEP enabled. The Enable IEEE 802.1x autherication is disabled
(unchecked), as is the option for "The key is provided to me automatically"
option. The "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is
checked.

I have tried many things - for one, it appeared that Windows had installed
some sort of generic adapter on my computer when I first plugged this
adapter in - I disabled that, and seemed to be up for a while, before once
again losing my connectivity.

Then, under the advanced tab, I clicked on the "Access point (infrastruture)
networks only" button - I noticed a neighbor in the area had an Ad-Hoc
network, so I decided to see if this may work. Again, did for a while,
but then I lost my connection again.

It should also be noted that as of a few days ago, the network in this house
was set up differently - this computer had the router on it, and a different
computer (also with XP) had the second wireless adapter. That computer
never once had any issues with connectivity going down - it was always up,
which is kind of perplexing to me!

Any reasons that anybody can think of? Is there perhaps some interference
with some installed components on MY PC? (IE, I never did uninstall any of
the router software from this computer when I made the switch) Or do you
think that somehow my neighbor's network is still interferring with mine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
May 16, 2004 3:28:43 PM

"Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine),

Which wireless-G Linksys Router? WRT54G? There are several models from
Linksys. I use this WRT54G, by the way.

> and two adapters

Again, which adapters? The Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adapters? Again
there are several models from Linksys. I have a WUSB54G adapter.

> - one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.
> The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other
computer's
> internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.
>
> The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose
it's
> connection,
> and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
> available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
> me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically
unplug
> the adapter and plug it back in again.

I have exactly the same problem with my WRT54G (connnected to my Rogers
@Home cable modem, and wired connected to my desktop PC running XP Pro from
which I configure the router), and with my wireless WUSB54G adapter
connected to a laptop running XP Pro.

By exactly, I mean the laptop with the wireless WUSB54G adater every now and
then loses its wireless connection to the WRT54G router, and then comes up
with a "One or more wireless networks are available" message, and then the
only way to get back the wireless connection is to physically uplug the
wireless adapter WUSB54G and then plug it back in again.

And I have had this problem for several months and tried many different
things/settings, but still have no solution/fix.

PS: The driver installation CD that came with my Linksys wireless adapter
WUSB54 simply won't install at all under my Windows XP Pro (whenever I run
the setup.exe from the CD, the setup/installation window will show up or
flash for a fraction of a second on the monitor/screen, and then will simply
quit!). On the other hand, this setup CD runs just fine on another of my
machines which runs Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. This
driver installation CD from Linksys does say on its cover that it's for
Windows 2000 and XP only (not for 98, etc) but somehow it does not work with
XP!

James

> The network is the only one listed on my preferred network settings, and I
> have WEP enabled. The Enable IEEE 802.1x autherication is disabled
> (unchecked), as is the option for "The key is provided to me
automatically"
> option. The "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"
is
> checked.
>
> I have tried many things - for one, it appeared that Windows had installed
> some sort of generic adapter on my computer when I first plugged this
> adapter in - I disabled that, and seemed to be up for a while, before once
> again losing my connectivity.
>
> Then, under the advanced tab, I clicked on the "Access point
(infrastruture)
> networks only" button - I noticed a neighbor in the area had an Ad-Hoc
> network, so I decided to see if this may work. Again, did for a while,
> but then I lost my connection again.
>
> It should also be noted that as of a few days ago, the network in this
house
> was set up differently - this computer had the router on it, and a
different
> computer (also with XP) had the second wireless adapter. That computer
> never once had any issues with connectivity going down - it was always up,
> which is kind of perplexing to me!
>
> Any reasons that anybody can think of? Is there perhaps some interference
> with some installed components on MY PC? (IE, I never did uninstall any
of
> the router software from this computer when I made the switch) Or do you
> think that somehow my neighbor's network is still interferring with mine?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 16, 2004 7:36:11 PM

Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.

It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this machine
and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist SOME
settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on their
PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably came
with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what the
issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you are
playing an online game or something :)

Tom
a b F Wireless
May 17, 2004 1:05:16 AM

I have noticed that both me and my neighbor (though I have no idea WHICH
neighbor also has a wireless network going) are both on Channel 6 - I wonder
if changing my channel would help any?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 17, 2004 2:54:23 AM

James wrote:

>"Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>

>>I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (on a Windows XP machine),
>>

>Which wireless-G Linksys Router? WRT54G? There are several models from
>Linksys. I use this WRT54G, by the way.
>

>>and two adapters
>>

>Again, which adapters? The Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adapters? Again
>there are several models from Linksys. I have a WUSB54G adapter.
>

>>- one on a Windows XP machine, the other on a Windows 2000 machine.
>>The Windows 2000 machine has no problems - it can read the other
>>

>computer's
>

>>internet connection, and simply never loses the connection.
>>
>>The Windows XP is a different story - every now and again, it will lose
>>

>it's
>

>>connection,
>>and then come up with a "One or more wireless networks are
>>available" message - when I attempt to login to the network, it won't let
>>me. I actually cannot get back into the network unless I physically
>>

>unplug
>

>>the adapter and plug it back in again.
>>

>I have exactly the same problem with my WRT54G (connnected to my Rogers
>@Home cable modem, and wired connected to my desktop PC running XP Pro from
>which I configure the router), and with my wireless WUSB54G adapter
>connected to a laptop running XP Pro.
>
>By exactly, I mean the laptop with the wireless WUSB54G adater every now and
>then loses its wireless connection to the WRT54G router, and then comes up
>with a "One or more wireless networks are available" message, and then the
>only way to get back the wireless connection is to physically uplug the
>wireless adapter WUSB54G and then plug it back in again.

You're lucky. Unplugging the wusb54g adapter does nothing for me. I have
to climb two flights of stairs and then go to the far end of the house
to pull the plug on the wrt54g and then count to 10 before plugging it
back in.

--
Bill
May 17, 2004 2:50:00 PM

Not sure about that. Though I also noticed one of neighbors alos has a
wireless connection with THE Linksys router. And I have tried my router on
Channels 1, 5, 6, and 11 but saw no difference (as far as the wireless
connection drops frequently is concerned).

James

> I have noticed that both me and my neighbor (though I have no idea WHICH
> neighbor also has a wireless network going) are both on Channel 6 - I
wonder
> if changing my channel would help any?

May 17, 2004 2:55:23 PM

> Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.
>
> It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this machine
> and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
> perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist SOME
> settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on
their
> PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably
came
> with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what
the
> issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you
are
> playing an online game or something :)

I guess it depends on how frequently this wireless connection break/drop
happens. In my case, sometimes I have the wireless connection for 2 or 3
days before a break happens (great! and I can live with that!), but
sometimes the connections breaks every half an hour! (Now that is a MAJOR
problem ;-)

James

> Tom

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 17, 2004 7:18:17 PM

Agreed - I haven't gone two or three days yet though - most I have gone is
about 5 or so hours, and I usually keep it for 2 hours or so.......I must
say that I must be in a good mood if I am willing to accept this - probably
because for a few weeks before switching the cable modem from this PC to
another one, the cable modem's connection was dropping every hour or so (due
to faulty cable wiring in this particular location in the house)

Tom
"James" <james_toronto@rogers.com> wrote in message

> "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, I have the same adapters that you have - theWUSB54G.
> >
> > It's just really perplexing because when I had the router on this
machine
> > and the second adapter on a different XP machine, everything worked
> > perfectly - never once had a problem with this - so there must exist
SOME
> > settings out there that actually work (but I never changed a thing on
> their
> > PC - my only thought is that they have a newer computer, which probably
> came
> > with an updated version of XP or something, but I really do not see what
> the
> > issue can be)...... it's not a MAJOR problem, but it's not fun when you
> are
> > playing an online game or something :)
>
> I guess it depends on how frequently this wireless connection break/drop
> happens. In my case, sometimes I have the wireless connection for 2 or 3
> days before a break happens (great! and I can live with that!), but
> sometimes the connections breaks every half an hour! (Now that is a MAJOR
> problem ;-)
>
> James
>
> > Tom

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 17, 2004 7:20:05 PM

This thread has some ideas I haven't tried - ie, I use the 128-bit
encryption, and this site says to switch it to 64, etc. Also brings up the
channel changing and not broadcasting the SSID..... I am willing to try
anything; not like the current settings are doing me any good :)

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8588939~mo...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 18, 2004 8:21:35 AM

Your computer will not switch back and forth between access points just
because they use the same channel. But they might do that if they both have
the same SSID. You should definitely not be using the default SSID.

Changing the channel will reduce interference from your neighbor, thus
improving performance.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I have noticed that both me and my neighbor (though I have no idea WHICH
> neighbor also has a wireless network going) are both on Channel 6 - I
wonder
> if changing my channel would help any?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 18, 2004 7:10:28 PM

Well, my latest fix SEEMS to be working - connection has been up for 16
hours, which is the longest yet.

All I did was click the UPDATE DRIVER button when I go into the
configuration for the adapter itself - it doesn't load a Linksys driver - it
is something from Microsoft itself - but ever since I did that, I have not
experienced a disconnect.

(And there is a possibility that this is just a fluke, and I was bound to
get a longer connection eventually...........so we'll see how much longer it
holds up)
May 18, 2004 9:00:08 PM

"James" <james_toronto@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<LfIpc.17458$YmM1.1439@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> "Tom Kosensky" <mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote in message
<<SNIP>
> PS: The driver installation CD that came with my Linksys wireless adapter
> WUSB54 simply won't install at all under my Windows XP Pro (whenever I run
> the setup.exe from the CD, the setup/installation window will show up or
> flash for a fraction of a second on the monitor/screen, and then will simply
> quit!). On the other hand, this setup CD runs just fine on another of my
> machines which runs Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. This
> driver installation CD from Linksys does say on its cover that it's for
> Windows 2000 and XP only (not for 98, etc) but somehow it does not work with
> XP!

Here are the answers:

Check http://www.linksys.com/faqs

1) The software on the CD is for 98/ME/2000 ONLY!!! Don't install the
software it interferes with the built in Wireless Zero Configuration
(WZC) utility in XP.
2) Go to Control Panel-ADD/REMOVE at the bottom of the list remove the
WIRELESS listed there.
3) Do what the otherside of the instructions say; XP requires the
hardware installed first while the PC is turned off, then turn on the
system, the hardware wizard will turn on when booted up, pop in the
CD, when the CD "spins up" click Next, and just answer YES to any
prompts by Microsoft saying it didn't approve the product. Click
Finish - Done.
4) Use the WZC in the systray (by the clock) with a RIGHT mouse click
and select VIEW AVAILABLE NETWORK CONNECTIONS and find your
connection, click on it, if WEP is enabled put in your key 2x or else
check the white check box and select connect.
5) **** START->CONTROL PANEL=>NETWORK AND DIALUP=>NETWORK CONNECTIONS
****
DELETE NETWORK BRIDGE!!!!

REASONS WHY IT CYCLES CONNECTIONS:

1) Change the SSID/Channel of the router; If someone else in your
neighborhood (you can see thier network names in the WZC) has a
Linksys they too will be broadcasting EXACTLY the same Factory name
and channel, which the computer doesn't understand as 2 different
networks. Change your SSID to your Last Name and try Channels 9,10, or
11
2) Windows XP Hotfix installed that REQUIRES WEP be enabled for a
connection to work, enable WEP, generate a key and try logging in.
3) Too Far, Linksys routers are 100Feet indoors range line of site no
interference or physcial structures (walls/doors/floors/etc.) More
barriers less distance especially thru lead piping and so forth.
4) 2.4G Phones DO interfere with the signal, unplug the POWER to the
BASE STATION (thing you plug your phone into) if the wireless works
then there is the problem
5) Setting the router ON TOP OF the monitor/by the speakers WILL
interfere as the EM pulses from those pieces of equipment will
interfere with the signal.

IF all else fails try Linksys Free Support linke 18003267114
6)
May 23, 2004 5:09:32 PM

Thank you for the guide, and I will certainly give it a try.

Regards,
James

"NeroGoth" <google@nerogoth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> networks. Change your SSID to your Last Name and try Channels 9,10, or
> 11
> 2) Windows XP Hotfix installed that REQUIRES WEP be enabled for a
> connection to work, enable WEP, generate a key and try logging in.
> 3) Too Far, Linksys routers are 100Feet indoors range line of site no
> interference or physcial structures (walls/doors/floors/etc.) More
> barriers less distance especially thru lead piping and so forth.
> 4) 2.4G Phones DO interfere with the signal, unplug the POWER to the
> BASE STATION (thing you plug your phone into) if the wireless works
> then there is the problem
> 5) Setting the router ON TOP OF the monitor/by the speakers WILL
> interfere as the EM pulses from those pieces of equipment will
> interfere with the signal.
>
> IF all else fails try Linksys Free Support linke 18003267114
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 23, 2004 8:08:09 PM

I just want to report that ever since I hit the "Update Driver" button, I
have been online for close to seven or so days......... so I think that was
my problem.
!