No Logon Page On Windows XP Pro Startup

Hello,

I am upgrading my system hard drive. To do this, I am using Norton Ghost
9.0. My steps:

(1) Install the new hard drive
(2) Setup partitions on the new hard drive just like the old one. I do not
assign any drive letters, format for NTFS. Each partition is about 40GB.
(3) Using NG 9.0's drive copy, I copy the original system drive (and MBR) to
the new drive
(4) Unplug the original system drive
(5) Place the new system drive in the same SATA drive slot as the original one
(6) Restart

Now, it shows the "Windws XP" loading screen, then it tries to load the
logon screen. All I see is the two blue strips and the middle light-blue
area with the Windows XP logo and logotype. No user names are displayed.

I've let this screen site for a couple of hours, and it has not changed.
There is no drive activity while this screen is displayed.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

-- jake

Sandman

Try this site:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

Evidently the little program to download checks/restores registry
settings related to the login screens. The program doesn't raise any
flags in NIS/NAV2005. YMMV.

javatopia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am upgrading my system hard drive. To do this, I am using Norton Ghost
> 9.0. My steps:
>
> (1) Install the new hard drive
> (2) Setup partitions on the new hard drive just like the old one. I do not
> assign any drive letters, format for NTFS. Each partition is about 40GB.
> (3) Using NG 9.0's drive copy, I copy the original system drive (and MBR) to
> the new drive
> (4) Unplug the original system drive
> (5) Place the new system drive in the same SATA drive slot as the original one
> (6) Restart
>
> Now, it shows the "Windws XP" loading screen, then it tries to load the
> logon screen. All I see is the two blue strips and the middle light-blue
> area with the Windows XP logo and logotype. No user names are displayed.
>
> I've let this screen site for a couple of hours, and it has not changed.
> There is no drive activity while this screen is displayed.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -- jake

That is a clever program, but I did find this at the Norton Ghost KB:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/643c9edb8e8f93b788256ee00056a108/3417d7a0242f887f88257019005a30d9?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=9.0&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

Looks like it might be a virtual memory problem (need to disable VM before
copying the source drive).

Thanks

-- jake