Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 for real work

Last response: in Windows 8
September 9, 2012 4:54:30 PM

Hi all.

I know there is a lot of talk about Windows 8, Metro (Windows 8 UI) sucks, etc.
But how will Win 8 help with Real work?
Once I get past the Metro Login to the normal desktop, everything should work the same or BETTER than Windows 7?

Why not just use Win 7 Pro? I may need to get familar with devloping Win 8 apps for tables and phones. I may also need to get more familar with HTML 5 sidebar/gadets/mini apps.

I personally use Visual Studio, so I don't want all whole environment to break after making the switch. I was lucky not having many probems moving the database & everything from XP to Vista. But I'm not sure if 7 to 8 will be so easy.

Normal apps like Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, etc should also work the same or better using Win 8?

Any thoughts?
thanks!

More about : windows real work

Best solution

September 9, 2012 5:29:51 PM

I prefer using Windows 8 and Server 2012 more than 7 and 2008 R2 because they're lighter in resource usage and have UI improvements such with the copy/paste and task manager. I have no issues from using them, but I don't guarantee that you won't have problems. I also use Classic Shell to get a start menu and to avoid having to click on the desktop when I log in. However, your OS choice is unlikely to have a major impact on what you do.

EDIT: Moving from Vista/7 to 8 should be easier than moving from XP to Vista.
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 3:44:30 AM

While i don't have any plans to use Win 8 i may need to learn more about it if someone were to need help with it. If i had to i'd probably find a cheap computer that has XP/Vista/7 already on it (that is Genuine of course) and just do a Win8 upgrade. I don't want to spend much on Win 8 if at all since i don't plan on using it that much. I would find the cheapest, legal way of obtaining Win 8 but making sure you have a trusted OS that you already are familiar with.

I would try Win 8 before deciding to get it. It does take getting used to and depending on whether you can handle the 'new start menu'.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 4:29:09 AM

If you do't like the new *start menu*, then you use Classic Shell or ViStart/ViOrb or another of many other programs to get it back for free. It still works even in the retail versions of Windows 8 and will never not work because it's not enabling the start menu (MS removed the old code anyway), it's installing a new UI program to act as the start menu. Stopping that would be like stopping any other regular program IE not worth the effort that it would take for MS to try doing it and even if MS did, it'd be easily hacked.
m
l
September 11, 2012 4:38:42 AM

I personally won't try to fight the whole Windows 8 UI stuff. I am sure all this is part of some bigger plan years down the road when there is one install for EVERY size devide.

For real work, I'm more worried about getting IIS, domain management, Databases, VPN Client, content creation tools, etc to work smoothly.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 11:06:47 AM

Why bother with a hack? Personally if MS doesn't offer a solution (that they clearly don't want the classic start menu) then why am i going to pay for an OS that i end up having to install programs or hack into, it just doesn't work that way with OSs. The start menu orb is not a program, it's an OS interface. No unless i absolutely have to use Win 8 i'm sticking with 7.. a $40 isn't worth doing that when Win 7 does the job just fine. Besides, why give MS the benefit of using an OS that your not happy with that you have to change the interface.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 11:15:47 AM

enewmen said:
I personally won't try to fight the whole Windows 8 UI stuff. I am sure all this is part of some bigger plan years down the road when there is one install for EVERY size devide.

For real work, I'm more worried about getting IIS, domain management, Databases, VPN Client, content creation tools, etc to work smoothly.

If upgrading to Win 8 is essential to upgrade then go for it. But for now use what works best for that environment.

Honestly Win 8 isn't the end of the world and there are other OS's to choose from and personally MS had their glory. Win 8 won't end MS but what they do with it could end their place on the throne or continue to thrive. MS isn't the only one with OS's. If the new start menu is the future for MS unless they can improve upon it to make it usable for the majority for those who don't like it will end up going somewhere else to get their OS needs.
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:48:15 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Why bother with a hack? Personally if MS doesn't offer a solution (that they clearly don't want the classic start menu) then why am i going to pay for an OS that i end up having to install programs or hack into, it just doesn't work that way with OSs. The start menu orb is not a program, it's an OS interface. No unless i absolutely have to use Win 8 i'm sticking with 7.. a $40 isn't worth doing that when Win 7 does the job just fine. Besides, why give MS the benefit of using an OS that your not happy with that you have to change the interface.

OP stated that OP might need Windows 8 for some things, so I offered a way to make it more similar to Windows 7 for free just in case OP prefers the start menu. I do it because Windows 8 is a better operating system than Windows 7 and I'm willing to spend literally one to two minutes to download and install Classic Shell to use a better operating system such as Windows 8. It is faster, snappier, and lighter on resources in addition to the UI improvements such as the new task manager, four important things for me.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 3:38:07 PM

Yeah that's no problem, if you feel you really need it then go for it.

I'm mentioning that i don't think it guarantees that MS will change the start menu back change the things that made Win 7 great unless MS sees that its users are sticking with 7 or other OS's. The OP may be required to get Win 8 and if he wants to use the classic shell then that's fine. It's the same on whether i am required to use Win 8.

While it's better with system resources i don't see a difference in performance but that's mostly because i used it on a fast system to begin with where i probably wouldn't notice if someone were to throw Vista on it in place of Win 7. My 08 Machine might run better with Wi 8 then Win 7 but then im not required to use it. The task manager is nice but eventually someone will come up with a way to implement Win 8's taskbar into Win 7. Anyway despite the nice improvement on the task bar (the only thing they really accomplished well imo) i'm quite satisfied with Win 7.

Anyway i hope MS does realize the importance of having a reliable start menu that doesn't take up the entire screen otherwise Win 7 will probably be the last MS OS that i will buy, at full version anyway.
m
l
September 12, 2012 7:21:03 AM

enewmen said:
Hi all.

I know there is a lot of talk about Windows 8, Metro (Windows 8 UI) sucks, etc.
But how will Win 8 help with Real work?
Once I get past the Metro Login to the normal desktop, everything should work the same or BETTER than Windows 7?

Why not just use Win 7 Pro? I may need to get familar with devloping Win 8 apps for tables and phones. I may also need to get more familar with HTML 5 sidebar/gadets/mini apps.

I personally use Visual Studio, so I don't want all whole environment to break after making the switch. I was lucky not having many probems moving the database & everything from XP to Vista. But I'm not sure if 7 to 8 will be so easy.

Normal apps like Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, etc should also work the same or better using Win 8?

Any thoughts?
thanks!

Thing is with the metro UI, it takes up system resources. I would like a OS that is very light like XP.
m
l
September 12, 2012 7:24:36 AM

MidnightDistort said:
If upgrading to Win 8 is essential to upgrade then go for it. But for now use what works best for that environment.

Honestly Win 8 isn't the end of the world and there are other OS's to choose from and personally MS had their glory. Win 8 won't end MS but what they do with it could end their place on the throne or continue to thrive. MS isn't the only one with OS's. If the new start menu is the future for MS unless they can improve upon it to make it usable for the majority for those who don't like it will end up going somewhere else to get their OS needs.

But for gaming it is the only place to go.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 12, 2012 4:08:27 PM

^ yep, that's unfortunate. If enough people are discouraged by Win 8, someone might start an OS that'll support gaming. Although i think isn't it mostly the developers choice? I'm thinking it might be a combination of the two.

The non gamers, however have the choice to use Ubuntu/Linux, depending on whether they want to learn that OS or to stick with Win 8. Windows 7 has an expected lifespan until 2020 so during that time something new will come out. And knowing MS they'll try to make gaming better with Win 8.
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:29:21 PM

Windows 8 supports all of the games that Windows 7 supports. Some of companies whined because of MS becoming a minor competitor to Steam and the like with their Xbox titles that are now on Windows, most of which suck anyway, so it was all whining for naught, at least so far. I don't understand what the complaints on Windows 8 are about. If you like the desktop more, then simply use it. The only actual problem is that you have to install the start menu yourself (two minutes tops and is free).

If you don't like Metro, then you don't use it. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with under the hood improvements, UI improvements, and a new platform (*Metro*) that you have the option of using or not using. Even the retail versions of Windows 8 support start menu programs and support directly logging into the desktop just like Windows 7. It's not worth the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 for most people, but there's nothing wrong with the OS itself that would prevent anyone from using it just as you would use Windows 7.
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:37:50 PM

Best answer selected by enewmen.
m
l
!