Two "b" vs "g" questions

What kinds of interference is 802.11g subject to ? Is avoiding
interfernece a reason to set up "g" for a new LAN even if
it costs a little more than "b".

How does "g" compare to "b" for the ability to go thru
heavy palster construction material ?

Can someone recommend a "g" DSL router that's high
on the list, based on transmitter power.

Thanks.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

In article <c82str$pib$1@panix3.panix.com>, Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:
:What kinds of interference is 802.11g subject to ? Is avoiding
:interfernece a reason to set up "g" for a new LAN even if
:it costs a little more than "b".

11g uses many sub-carriers but holds each symbol for longer than 11b.
11g is thus more resistant to short bursts of inteference. Mostly,
though, the design difference was to reduce multipath problems, which
aren't really "interference" as such.

Both 11b and 11g have difficulty with continuous noise in the band,
such as might be caused by microwave ovens. The "power levels" 1-10
in microwave ovens are sometimes implimented as duty cycles in 1/10th of
a second. That means that the wave is held "on" for times that are
very long relative to the symbol rate for 11b or 11g, so the signal
can get washed out for both of them.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> What kinds of interference is 802.11g subject to ? Is avoiding
> interfernece a reason to set up "g" for a new LAN even if
> it costs a little more than "b".
>
> How does "g" compare to "b" for the ability to go thru
> heavy palster construction material ?
>
> Can someone recommend a "g" DSL router that's high
> on the list, based on transmitter power.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

b and g use the same frequecies so are subject to the same interference.

If you are looking for extended range, use a separate AP rather than a combo
unit.
I have a DLink DWL-2000AP which you can select internal /external antenna or
both, I have it configured to use an external antenna (8.5db omni) and it
really belts it out !
I was disappointed with my DI-624, the antenna's are not selectable and
connecting the high gain external antenna to it does not improve the range.
Hope this helps....