Frustrating Asus GeForce2 GTS, a whole year later!

G

Situation.........
i purchased my Asus GeForce2 GTS 32MB a year ago, even before i got my computer. I got it from the distributor, and was said to be the first one to get it before anyone else. I paid $600 CAN for it. I paid $2600 for the whole package.
The system worked fine for a month but once i went into playing games, the whole system hangs. After that incident, everything seems to just crash on my comp, Internet Explorer, movies, games, anything just name it has crashed.
All the ppl that i've talked to say theres something wrong with the card, but "WHAT" is it about the card. i've heard that there was something wrong with the FIRST batch that was released by ASUS but never was able to found out what it was. Everyone that i spoke to just tells me to get new drivers. So i've tried numerous solutions from changing video card drivers to Flashing bios to VIA 4 in 1 drivers. I did the whole thing. i have 8 sets of drivers for my video card, Asus and Nvidia. Unfortunatly nothing seems to work.
I've had this ongoing problem for about a year now. i've reinstalled my OS (win98se) at least 30 times. 6 times just yesturday. Im getting nowhere and hopefully theres someone out there that does know what to do and HELP ME!!! Anything is appreciated.
I dont have the money to bring it into a shop, so i've been trying to fix it up myself. (as you can see, with no success)

System:
P3 600EB PC133
P3V4X MOBO w/ VIA APOLLO PRO133A CHIPSET
128MB SDRAM PC133
MAXTOR 13G HD 7200rpm
CREATIVE AUDIOPCI
NDC 10/100 FAST ETHERNET PCI NETWORK CARD
USR 56K VOICE/FAX MODEM
ASUS GEFORCE2 GTS 32MB (version 1.0)
running WIN98SE

Its Been A Whole Year.........DAMN!

Knuckles

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Hey,

I've got exactly the same problem but I've only been experiencing it for the last 10 days in any serious form. Prior to that, with my old Diamond Viper V550 I only froze while connected to the internet. From what I have read, there is a big hardware conflict between the Apollo Pro133A chipset/Via drivers and the nVidia chipset/drivers. I have no idea how to solve this problem, so I'm posting along with you to get some help. Unfortunately, I think I may just have to replace the mobo with another that does not sport the Via chipset... which I would rather not do.

Let me know if you find any solutions... I feel you're pain!

-------------------------------------
PIII 450
Asus P3V4X Apollo Pro133A
GeForce2 GTS Pro
576 MB SDRAM
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
20Gig HDD, 13Gig Fujitsu
Asus 50X CDROM
Creative 8X4X32 CDRW
DLink nic
etc...

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I guess, i dont know if this helps or not but if there really is a problem with the apollo mobo and nvidia cards/drivers than the only way around it may be to get either a new video card or mobo. Also make sure that the cards arent getting too hot. That sometimes causes lock-ups. Win2k or WinME may also solve the problem. I personally have never had this problem being that i still have my Voodoo3 and my athlon classic 500. Did the setup ever work???

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
PSU? I never install a Geforce card without a high
quality 300W+ power supply. I'm guessing that a pII450
comes with a 250W PSU.

Here's something...you might try upping your I/O voltage to
3.4v intead of the 3.3v default. What voltage does your smart doctor utility report?...needs to be at 3.3v, or you could have problems!

I've installed 6 asus geforce cards of varying types (including the 7700 and haven't had a single problem. However, it seems there are some people who have had problems with 7700 pure. The deluxe seems to be more stable I guess.

I installed my via 4in1 AGP VxD driver in standard (not turbo) mode...maybe that's a factor?? But then I went to
bios and enabled fastwrite, AGP4X, AGP 1-waitstate.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

Knuckles

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Thanks for the reply. I am running an Antec 300W ATX power supply. I don't have the smart doctor utility that you speak of, sorry. I'll try upping the I/O voltage.

Any other ideas?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The first question is, what are your IRQ settings. If your card is sharing any IRQ's, that may be the reason you are having problems. Second, Have you tried the machine out without the Sound? Many times, a computer will have resource conficts with the Video board and Sound card. Let me know if you have the problems without sound and let us see you IRQ settings. you can find these setting in the sstems folder in the control panel. Go to device Manager and click the computer at the top, then select properties. If you see any IRQ's being sharred with any other computer component, let us know.

If it works for you then don't fix it.