discs not recognized

toni409

When I boot up, if I have a dvd in my drive (Panasonic SW9585c) all works
normally.
When I boot up, If I DO NOT have a dvd in my drive bay, when I put one there
it is not recognized and I just get a message "insert disc". It seems there
should be an easy answer here, but I don't know what that is. The MS
Autofix.exe did not help. Anyone got any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about discs recognized

    Are you using Nero? I read a post somewhere that someone had the same
    problem and uninstalling Nero fixed it.

    "toni409" <toni409@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > toni409
    >
    > When I boot up, if I have a dvd in my drive (Panasonic SW9585c) all works
    > normally.
    > When I boot up, If I DO NOT have a dvd in my drive bay, when I put one
    > there
    > it is not recognized and I just get a message "insert disc". It seems
    > there
    > should be an easy answer here, but I don't know what that is. The MS
    > Autofix.exe did not help. Anyone got any ideas?

    Ok, Here is my conclusion and or opinion on the matter. Sp2 is a Major
    security update and because of this it seems to have affected software and or
    hardware in certain cases pertaining to CD or DVD recorder/players and
    perhaps other system third party apps and the like. In some cases a reinstall
    or update/upgrade of third party software is needed. Or a reconfiguration of
    existing system software that was setup by the user over (in some cases) a
    year or longer ago. So, basically we as users tend to forget what we did
    initially and just notice that it use to work, what's going on? So, I
    recommend (it solved my problem) to update/upgrade the burning software you
    use, do a firmware update for the recorder (if the OEM has one, or if one
    soon will be available) by contacting the original equipment manufacturer by
    email as you did or live tech chat or by direct download of the firmware
    update. the use of a firmware update has it's risks and a bad update can DOA
    a drive. In my case it went well and the Nero 5.5 I use, worked again like a
    charm. I was saved from having to upgrade Nero, along with the cost of doing
    so. Every situation can be different and some have success uninstalling the
    drive and software and reinstalling, that did not seem to work for me,
    though. I was not willing to experiment with countless tries and failures
    either. I did however find an update for the inbuilt burning software XP uses
    and will share it here: http://www.highmat.com/download/

    It may be as simple as updating the XP inbuilt, uninstalling your third
    party burning software and your drive with a reboot, try then to just use the
    inbuilt XP burner on a CD-R too see if you can at least do that..I have not
    tried this approach myself, so???
    Just to refresh you memory see the link: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

    Please, post and let all of us (users) here know your results..

    j;-)

    "toni409" wrote:

    > --
    > toni409
    >
    > When I boot up, if I have a dvd in my drive (Panasonic SW9585c) all works
    > normally.
    > When I boot up, If I DO NOT have a dvd in my drive bay, when I put one there
    > it is not recognized and I just get a message "insert disc". It seems there
    > should be an easy answer here, but I don't know what that is. The MS
    > Autofix.exe did not help. Anyone got any ideas?

Windows XP