Thermal grease

I'm going to be replacing a system board on a Dell Dimension 4600. I found
the Service Manual on Dell's Web site. The step-by-step instructions for
removing the heatsink and processor and installing them on the new board say
nothing about cleaning off and re-applying thermal grease. I assume Dell is
recommending that I re-use whatever is already there. Am I correct?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

On the 4600 the thermal paste is actually on the Heatsink assembley and when
we replace in the field we never apply any more thermal compound only on the
High end Servers and also on PCs with socket T processors
"William J. Lunsford" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be replacing a system board on a Dell Dimension 4600. I found
> the Service Manual on Dell's Web site. The step-by-step instructions for
> removing the heatsink and processor and installing them on the new board
> say nothing about cleaning off and re-applying thermal grease. I assume
> Dell is recommending that I re-use whatever is already there. Am I
> correct?

Thank you for the quick reply! Your help is appreciated.

William J. Lunsford wrote:
> I'm going to be replacing a system board on a Dell Dimension 4600. I found
> the Service Manual on Dell's Web site. The step-by-step instructions for
> removing the heatsink and processor and installing them on the new board say
> nothing about cleaning off and re-applying thermal grease. I assume Dell is
> recommending that I re-use whatever is already there. Am I correct?

Arctic Silver is popular among over clockers and can be found at Frys
for under $10. If you don't have a local Frys, check out their web
site: www.outpost.com

Sorry for sticking my nose in here, but I too am interested in the subject.
So which is best...re-use whatever thermal grease is there or apply new? And
if applying new, should the old be removed?

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Sorry for sticking my nose in here, but I too am interested in the
> subject. So which is best...re-use whatever thermal grease is there or
> apply new? And if applying new, should the old be removed?
>
> Ted Zieglar

Apply new and definitely remove the old (from both the CPU and the
heatsinc!). You want to remove the old layer because if you leave it
there the grease will have uneven pockets which will create hot spots.
To remove the old grease, run the computer for a couple minutes (to heat
up the CPU, it makes removing the heatsink from the processor a lot
quicker), power down, remove the cpu and use a q-tip with rubbing
alcohol. Apply the qtip to the back of the CPU and it should come off
easily. Obviously let the CPU dry (I'd give it at least an hour) before
you apply a new layer. Don't worry about hurting the CPU if you need to
scratch off some of the grease, the back side is fairly thick. In fact,
there's overclockers who actually sand down the back of the CPU so the
heat can be transferred quicker. Check out most modder or overclocker
forums for details and recommendations.

In article <CjNje.1911$kj7.1014@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, SDNick484
@nospam.yahoo.com says...

<snippety>

> Apply new and definitely remove the old (from both the CPU and the
> heatsinc!). You want to remove the old layer because if you leave it
> there the grease will have uneven pockets which will create hot spots.
> To remove the old grease, run the computer for a couple minutes (to heat
> up the CPU, it makes removing the heatsink from the processor a lot

Excuse me! This doesn't seem right. I've been taught that you
NEVER run a modern CPU without a heatsink under ANY conditions!

Tom's Hardware did exactly that a while back, just to see how
quickly the chips would burn up. I seem to recall that the AMD Athlons
went up in smoke within seconds. Intel Pent-3's and 4's took a little
longer.

The bottom line is that it's pointless to risk a perfectly good
CPU just to save a little labor. Even a brief period of power-on with no
heatsink can cause heat-related 'weakening' of the chip's internal
connections. Oh, it might seem like you get away with it, and the system
may appear to work fine afterwards, but you will have risked a
significant decrease in the useful life of the CPU.

The best way to remove the old compound is with a lint-free wipe,
liberally dampened with 99% Isopropanol (fancy term for isopropyl
alcohol that's only 1% water). This stuff is readily available from
Fry's (MG Chemicals makes it), or even from your local pharmacy. DON'T
use anything other than 99%. The 70 and 91% mixtures contain too much
water to be safe for electronics.

> quicker), power down, remove the cpu and use a q-tip with rubbing
> alcohol. Apply the qtip to the back of the CPU and it should come off
> easily. Obviously let the CPU dry (I'd give it at least an hour) before

No need to wait so long. Isopropanol evaporates very quickly. A
scrub with a dry lint-free wipe and five minutes of standing time is
fine.

> you apply a new layer. Don't worry about hurting the CPU if you need to
> scratch off some of the grease, the back side is fairly thick. In fact,

This is true to a degree, but keep in mind that you're scraping
the back of the actual CPU chip. Use a clean, sharp X-Acto knife, and BE
CAREFUL! Do any needed scraping while the chip is firmly clamped edge-
wise in a soft-jawed vise that's specifically built for electronics work
(such as a Panavise), or installed in the motherboard socket. Use an
anti-static wrist strap and work surface, or at least wear all-cotton
clothing, to keep from zapping the thing.

> there's overclockers who actually sand down the back of the CPU so the
> heat can be transferred quicker.

Worst idea possible. It only takes going a micron too far to ruin
the chip permanently.

Then again, I've never believed in overclocking.

Happy tweaking.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

I appreciate the advice. I'm not an overclocker - yet ;->

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote:
> SDNick484
> <snippety>
>
>> Apply new and definitely remove the old (from both the CPU and the
>> heatsinc!). You want to remove the old layer because if you leave it
>> there the grease will have uneven pockets which will create hot spots.
>> To remove the old grease, run the computer for a couple minutes (to heat
>> up the CPU, it makes removing the heatsink from the processor a lot
>
> Excuse me! This doesn't seem right. I've been taught that you
> NEVER run a modern CPU without a heatsink under ANY conditions!

He didn't say to remove the CPU from the heatsink before running
the computer. He said to run the *computer* to heat up the CPU, then
shutdown and remove the CPU from the heatsink.

*TimDaniels*

I replaced the processor in my Dell 2350, and there was no thermal grease on
the old processor. I installed the new processor without grease.
Everything's fine.

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote:
>
>> SDNick484
>> <snippety>
>>
>>> Apply new and definitely remove the old (from both the CPU and the
>>> heatsinc!). You want to remove the old layer because if you leave it
>>> there the grease will have uneven pockets which will create hot
>>> spots. To remove the old grease, run the computer for a couple
>>> minutes (to heat up the CPU, it makes removing the heatsink from the
>>> processor a lot
>>

>> Excuse me! This doesn't seem right. I've been taught that you NEVER
>> run a modern CPU without a heatsink under ANY conditions!
>

> He didn't say to remove the CPU from the heatsink before running
> the computer. He said to run the *computer* to heat up the CPU, then
> shutdown and remove the CPU from the heatsink.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Exactly, sorry for the confusion.

Did you use the old heatsink? Was there a thermal pad on it?

"Pud Knocker" <pud@knocker.org> wrote in message
>I replaced the processor in my Dell 2350, and there was no thermal grease
>on the old processor. I installed the new processor without grease.
>Everything's fine.
>
> "William J. Lunsford" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm going to be replacing a system board on a Dell Dimension 4600. I
>> found the Service Manual on Dell's Web site. The step-by-step
>> instructions for removing the heatsink and processor and installing them
>> on the new board say nothing about cleaning off and re-applying thermal
>> grease. I assume Dell is recommending that I re-use whatever is already
>> there. Am I correct?

In article <7eUje.19566$J12.12191@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, SDNick484
@nospam.yahoo.com says...

<BigSnip>

> > He didn't say to remove the CPU from the heatsink before running
> > the computer. He said to run the *computer* to heat up the CPU, then
> > shutdown and remove the CPU from the heatsink.
> >
> > *TimDaniels*
>
> Exactly, sorry for the confusion.

Ah. No, my bad. I misunderstood.

Thanks much.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

At the end of the day its down to personnal choice as to wether you should
apply thermal compound or just reuse the old and alot depends on the CPU
speed, certaily Dell DO NOT replace compound on anything under 3gig in a
Desktop, interestingly enough I've just read an article on using the Pentium
M processor in a DESKTOP machine (ASUS now make a board that takes one) and
you dont need any thermal compound for that either

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in

> "my bad"

English speakers would probably say "my mistake".

"My mistake" is the correct thing to say. However, here in the U.S. we have
a practice called "dumbing down", which leads to terms like "my bad." It's
another reason why the U.S. is gradually falling behind the rest of the
world.

Ted Zieglar

Kinell wrote:

> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in
>

>>"my bad"
>

> English speakers would probably say "my mistake".

Not any more, man (at least not in the US).

"Kinell" wrote:
> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
>
>> "my bad"
>
> English speakers would probably say "my mistake".

But few people speak standard English, especially
in the U.S. "My bad" is like "that's a no-no" or "don't
be dissing my ride" - it's colloquial usage in emulation
of substandard English. Probably the most correct
English usage is to be found in Scandinavia or India
where they take learning English seriously and they get
good enough to speak English fluently. BTW, I still can't
bring myself to say "my bad". It must be due to my mother
having been an English major in college.

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in

> ...an English major in college

Which regiment? :)

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "Kinell" wrote:
>
>> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
>>
>>> "my bad"
>>
>> English speakers would probably say "my mistake".
>
> But few people speak standard English, especially
> in the U.S. "My bad" is like "that's a no-no" or "don't
> be dissing my ride" - it's colloquial usage in emulation
> of substandard English.

The first time I encountered "My bad" was in a Robin Cook novel set in
NYC. He explained that the phrase came from gang culture and was the
speaker's way of accepting responsibility for something he was about to
do or had just done, e.g., shoot an innocent person between the eyes.
Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me & that's the way I
interpret it.

In article <Xns965F92EB1AD9kxxx@62.253.162.201>, w@invalid.jp says...

> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in
>
> > "my bad"
>
> English speakers would probably say "my mistake".

<g>

Fair trade... If I'm going to be razzing people about top-posting
on Usenet, I think it's only fair that folks hit me with the same type
of response when I abuse English.

My mistake. Better? ;-)