Variation on the NTLDR missing game

I'm cleaning up an older computer running XP Pro.

At one time it booted off a SCSI drive but now it boots off an IDE drive.

But if I don't have the SCSI drive listed first in the motherboard bios,
the computer will not boot and gives the NTLDR missing message.

NTLDR is on the IDE drive, which is the C drive.

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I'd like to have the IDE drive listed first in the bios. I have a
feeling the computer seeks the SCSI first when it boots.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sometimes this message 'may' be caused to having resized the boot partition.
Do you recall having done that?

Your Boot.ini file is fine. You'll likely have to go back & recheck your BIOS settings. Be sure your IDE drives are connected with the correct type of IDE ribbon cables.

I also suggest you look into the hardware group at microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Get a blank diskette, format it plainly ( a normal format) and make a "save-my-boots" bootable-for-XP diskette:
How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable
to Start Windows XP

This diskette can save you if one of the bootup files gets corrupted.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Harry Krause wrote:
> I'm cleaning up an older computer running XP Pro.
>
> At one time it booted off a SCSI drive but now it boots off an IDE
> drive.
>
> But if I don't have the SCSI drive listed first in the motherboard
> bios, the computer will not boot and gives the NTLDR missing message.
>
> NTLDR is on the IDE drive, which is the C drive.
>
> Here is my boot.ini
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>
> I'd like to have the IDE drive listed first in the bios. I have a
> feeling the computer seeks the SCSI first when it boots.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Hello Harry,

I also suggest you look into the hardware group at microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Get a blank diskette, format it plainly ( a normal format) and make a bootable-for-XP diskette:

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Sometimes this message 'may' be caused to having resized the boot partition.
> Do you recall having done that?
>
> Your Boot.ini file is fine. You'll likely have to go back & recheck your BIOS settings. Be sure your IDE drives are connected with the correct type of IDE ribbon cables.
>
> I also suggest you look into the hardware group at microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>
> Get a blank diskette, format it plainly ( a normal format) and make a "save-my-boots" bootable-for-XP diskette:
> How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable
> to Start Windows XP
>
> This diskette can save you if one of the bootup files gets corrupted.

No, it hasn't been resized. And as far as I can tell, the BIOS settings
look fine. I just played with them. If I take the SCSI out of the loop,
the NTLDR missing message comes up.

As I mentioned, do see the Hardware group. And do tell them if the SCSI is an on-board connection or if it is an add-on card.
Good luck.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> As I mentioned, do see the Hardware group. And do tell them if the SCSI is an on-board connection or if it is an add-on card.
> Good luck.

I posted there. The SCSI is an on-board connection.

Harry Krause wrote:
> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>> As I mentioned, do see the Hardware group. And do tell them if the
>> SCSI is an on-board connection or if it is an add-on card.
>> Good luck.
>
> I posted there. The SCSI is an on-board connection.

My error. It is an adaptec 29160 add-in card. Does that make a diff?

Yes, it does. IF nothing is connected to it now, (a) use Device Manager to remove it from its devices, (b) shutdown Windows, (c) physically remove this card.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Yes, it does. IF nothing is connected to it now, (a) use Device Manager to remove it from its devices, (b) shutdown Windows, (c) physically remove this card.

I have hard drive d, plus two scsi CD drives connected to the card.

Then it (the scsi card) is in use. Hence, scratch the removal. Harry, go to hardware group & be sure to mention where your HD for Windows is connected, and your settings in BIOS.
Best of luck.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Harry Krause wrote:
> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>> Yes, it does. IF nothing is connected to it now, (a) use Device
>> Manager to remove it from its devices, (b) shutdown Windows, (c)
>> physically remove this card.
>>

> I have hard drive d, plus two scsi CD drives connected to the card.

I have solved this problem by shorting out the CMOS pins on the Mother
Board.
Herman