HELP! Strange Maching gun sounds

July 31, 2005 11:36:01 AM

I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This is
a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I hear
a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a program
is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other sound
playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from Dell
web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely annoying
sound to say the least....HELP!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 2:01:44 PM

Just a guess, it's a random loose wire that comes in contact with a
cooling fan blade. Open the case to take a look. (grin) Ok, you didn't
state wether the sound was coming out of the speakers, or from inside
the computer.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

July 31, 2005 2:01:45 PM

Sorry...sound is coming from speakers. Ck'd inside unit - no loose wires.

Thanks

"Treeman" wrote:

> Just a guess, it's a random loose wire that comes in contact with a
> cooling fan blade. Open the case to take a look. (grin) Ok, you didn't
> state wether the sound was coming out of the speakers, or from inside
> the computer.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

July 31, 2005 5:57:48 PM

Is your sound card beside your video card? If so, try moving it to a slot
further away from the video card. The sound card is probably picking up
some interference from the video card.

I had that same thing happen to me when I put in my new video card beside
the sound card.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"TooHip" <TooHip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This
>is
> a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I
> hear
> a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
> about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a
> program
> is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other
> sound
> playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from
> Dell
> web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
> particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
> annoying
> sound to say the least....HELP!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:12:08 PM

Hi

Have you checked in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds to make
sure that no option there could be causing the sounds?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"TooHip" <TooHip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This
>is
> a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I
> hear
> a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
> about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a
> program
> is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other
> sound
> playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from
> Dell
> web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
> particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
> annoying
> sound to say the least....HELP!
July 31, 2005 8:24:45 PM

Try using msconfig to disable all non ms startups, if all OK its a process
of illimination

"TooHip" <TooHip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This
is
> a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I
hear
> a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
> about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a
program
> is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other
sound
> playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from
Dell
> web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
> particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
annoying
> sound to say the least....HELP!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:16:05 PM

Cpu is almost 3 trs old. Have not changed anything hardware wise around the
time these occuances began (earlier this year). Unless something internally
has changed itself...??? Good thought though. I may try to change slots
anyway and see whaty happens. Thanks Gary

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Is your sound card beside your video card? If so, try moving it to a slot
> further away from the video card. The sound card is probably picking up
> some interference from the video card.
>
> I had that same thing happen to me when I put in my new video card beside
> the sound card.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "TooHip" <TooHip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This
> >is
> > a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I
> > hear
> > a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> > seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
> > about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a
> > program
> > is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other
> > sound
> > playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from
> > Dell
> > web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
> > particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
> > annoying
> > sound to say the least....HELP!

August 1, 2005 1:23:31 PM

TooHip wrote:

> I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
> sound card. This is a come and go problem - mostly comes.
> Soon after bootup is complete, I hear a sort of machine
> gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a
> few seconds and at about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals.
> It does not happen when a program is generating sound/
> playing sound files. Only when there is no other sound
> playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble
> shooting from Dell web site and Voyetra web site, to
> no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this particular
> problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
> annoying sound to say the least....HELP!

Do you have an avid cellphone user in the house? You can get
breakthrough when a cellphone is used near the computer. I'd
describe it more as a a 'marching' sound though - 'de-dit,
de-dit, de-dit, de-dit'.

Cheers,

Cliff

August 1, 2005 1:23:32 PM

Cell phone is kept and used on other side of house..does not occur when in
use...thanks for thinking of that.

"Enkidu" wrote:

> TooHip wrote:
> >
> > I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
> > sound card. This is a come and go problem - mostly comes.
> > Soon after bootup is complete, I hear a sort of machine
> > gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> > seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a
> > few seconds and at about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals.
> > It does not happen when a program is generating sound/
> > playing sound files. Only when there is no other sound
> > playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble
> > shooting from Dell web site and Voyetra web site, to
> > no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this particular
> > problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
> > annoying sound to say the least....HELP!
> >
> Do you have an avid cellphone user in the house? You can get
> breakthrough when a cellphone is used near the computer. I'd
> describe it more as a a 'marching' sound though - 'de-dit,
> de-dit, de-dit, de-dit'.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

August 1, 2005 11:57:41 PM

You are welcome. I still believe that the problem may be
external to your computer - any new lighting? Alarms?
Centrally controlled lights?

If you run out of other ideas, you could try shielding your
computer with cooking foil. Silly though it may seem!

Cheers,

Cliff

TooHip wrote:
> Cell phone is kept and used on other side of house..does
> not occur when in use...thanks for thinking of that.
>
> "Enkidu" wrote:
>

>>TooHip wrote:
>> >

>>>I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
>>
>> > sound card. This is a come and go problem - mostly comes.
>> > Soon after bootup is complete, I hear a sort of machine
>> > gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
>>
>>>seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a
>>
>> > few seconds and at about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals.
>> > It does not happen when a program is generating sound/
>> > playing sound files. Only when there is no other sound
>>
>>>playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble
>>
>> > shooting from Dell web site and Voyetra web site, to
>> > no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this particular
>> > problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely
>> > annoying sound to say the least....HELP!
>> >
>>Do you have an avid cellphone user in the house? You can get
>>breakthrough when a cellphone is used near the computer. I'd
>>describe it more as a a 'marching' sound though - 'de-dit,
>>de-dit, de-dit, de-dit'.

August 2, 2005 7:19:03 PM

Well folks, a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum :0...for the
umpteenth time I re-installed the same updated sound card driver from Dell's
support site and voila(sp)..it fixed my problem. Can't explain why it
suddenly worked after trying it 8 or 9 times. Anyway, thanks for all your

TooHip

"TooHip" wrote:

> I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. This is
> a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is complete, I hear
> a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that lasts about 2
> seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few seconds and at
> about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not happen when a program
> is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is no other sound
> playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble shooting from Dell
> web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else ever hear of this
> particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an extremely annoying
> sound to say the least....HELP!
August 5, 2005 4:35:53 AM

"" wrote:
> Is your sound card beside your video card? If so, try moving
> it to a slot
> further away from the video card. The sound card is probably
> picking up
> some interference from the video card.
>
> I had that same thing happen to me when I put in my new video
> card beside
> the sound card.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "TooHip" <TooHip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell 8200 (WindowsXP) w/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
> sound card. This
> >is
> > a come and go problem - mostly comes. Soon after bootup is
> complete, I
> > hear
> > a sort of machine gun sound - sort of high pitched - that
> lasts about 2
> > seconds per occurance. It plays at a random note for a few
> seconds and at
> > about 20 seconds to 60 seconds intervals. It does not
> happen when a
> > program
> > is generating sound/playing sound files. Only when there is
> no other
> > sound
> > playing. Have re-installed XP and done a lot of trouble
> shooting from
> > Dell
> > web site and Voyetra web site, to no avail. Anyone else
> ever hear of this
> > particular problem or have anymore suggestions? It is an
> extremely
> > annoying
> > sound to say the least....HELP!

By any chance dose this happen when you move the mouse? I have a old
Packard Bell, if to plug it into a AMP, and turn the amp upto max and
you move the mouse, you can hear a clicking noise :p

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Strange-Mac...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1333920
!