Where is my user?

I had a buddy help me network my other laptop with this one. I have to Users
on the computer. He was in User 1 when we were trying to set up the file
sharing. He first tried to file share C drive. We tested it and it didn't
work going from the 2nd computer to this one. We then tried to share the 2nd
user on this machine, which didn't work when tested. He thought maybe we had
to be in the 2nd user to get the permissions right. However, when we switched
over into the 2nd user, it wasn't the 2nd user. Somehow, not created by us,
another user was created with the same name as the origional 2nd user. But,
it didn't contain any of the files, settings, etc... of the 2nd user. It was
like starting all over again. When I go into C drive and then docs and
settings, I see three (4 including 'All Users') users. The first user, the
original second user (which the user name is slightly modified) and contains
all of my files, and then the other 2nd user which the computer now switches
to instead of my original one.

I know it's kind of detailed, but I wanted to let you know everything we
did..as much as I can remember. I know he fiddled around with some other
folders trying to share them to see if the other computer could connect.

Also, I tried to reset the settings back to Thursday, which was successful,
but the same result with the users. So, I tried to switch it back to today
(so I didn't lose my networking settings we spent 2 1/2 hours on) but it
didn't work...I tried it a second time and it brought the computer back to
todays settings...

I still have this phantom 2nd user though and cannot switch to my original
2nd user.

Any ideas on how I can make my original user (folder located in Docs and
Settings) and make that the user I get when I switch to it...?

Thanks so much!
2 answers Last reply
More about where user

    First of all, can the pc's ping each other? If so, do you have the server
    and workstation service running on both pc's? Are both PC's in the same
    workgroup? Do they both have unique computer names?

    If your using XP Home, windows authenticates using the Guest account for
    network access only, since simple file sharing is exclusively used with Home
    Edition. So in the permission settings of the shared folder, make sure the
    everyone group has the proper permissions.

    If you are using XP Pro and simple file sharing is diabled, (using Classic
    sharing), then you can use your user account for access, as long as their is
    an account setup on the other pc with the same user name/pass, and
    vice-versa. If not, then you will have to authenticate using the guest or
    admin account, and a "connect to" box will appear. You may also have to go
    into local security policy and grant the user the "access this computer from
    the network" right. Keep in mind that when NTFS permissions and share
    permissions are combined, then effective permission is the most restrictive
    permission.

    BTW, the other "users" you are referring to (All Users and Default User) in
    docs and settings are default profiles that Windows uses when a new profile
    is created and are generally not used to "log" into.

    "Dan Galfano" <DanGalfano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had a buddy help me network my other laptop with this one. I have to
    Users
    > on the computer. He was in User 1 when we were trying to set up the file
    > sharing. He first tried to file share C drive. We tested it and it didn't
    > work going from the 2nd computer to this one. We then tried to share the
    2nd
    > user on this machine, which didn't work when tested. He thought maybe we
    had
    > to be in the 2nd user to get the permissions right. However, when we
    switched
    > over into the 2nd user, it wasn't the 2nd user. Somehow, not created by
    us,
    > another user was created with the same name as the origional 2nd user.
    But,
    > it didn't contain any of the files, settings, etc... of the 2nd user. It
    was
    > like starting all over again. When I go into C drive and then docs and
    > settings, I see three (4 including 'All Users') users. The first user, the
    > original second user (which the user name is slightly modified) and
    contains
    > all of my files, and then the other 2nd user which the computer now
    switches
    > to instead of my original one.
    >
    > I know it's kind of detailed, but I wanted to let you know everything we
    > did..as much as I can remember. I know he fiddled around with some other
    > folders trying to share them to see if the other computer could connect.
    >
    > Also, I tried to reset the settings back to Thursday, which was
    successful,
    > but the same result with the users. So, I tried to switch it back to today
    > (so I didn't lose my networking settings we spent 2 1/2 hours on) but it
    > didn't work...I tried it a second time and it brought the computer back to
    > todays settings...
    >
    > I still have this phantom 2nd user though and cannot switch to my original
    > 2nd user.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can make my original user (folder located in Docs and
    > Settings) and make that the user I get when I switch to it...?
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    Brian, Thanks for replying!

    I am able to share files and internet on both machines, but that isn't the
    problem. My problem is on my laptop, where I originally had two users, the
    original second username is not there when I log in. When I first start up it
    shows two users. If I log into the 2nd user (which still has the same name),
    it's like the first time you turn on a computer (nothing in My Docs, no email
    settings set up, nothing). Now if I go into Docs and Settings, it shows 3
    users (besides all users). The first one is fine and no problems. The other
    two have the same name (PetCare Group), only the original is slightly
    modified (the space was removed between the two words). The one that is
    PetCareGroup is the folder that has all my docs, but the new PetCare Group
    folder is the one the computer switches to in the log in screen where I get
    nothing.

    I need to figure out how to get the login screen to go to my original (now
    PetCareGroup) folder with all my stuff...

    My options are to figure out how to do that (which is what I really want to
    do), or copy and set up that second PetCare Group user again and copy and
    paste files...I just don't want in the future the computer to get confused
    again and I'm saving files in one folder one minute and the other folder the
    next. Or should I just delete the original folder after I copy and paste all
    of my docs into the new one?

    I also just don't want somehow that phantom new user to all of a sudden
    disappear since I never created it in the first place.

    *sigh*

    Dan

Computers Windows XP