Solved

Solid state cache drive or extra RAM

I'm ordering an Lenovo edge E530 and wondering what would improve overall performance the most , adding 2GB of RAM or adding a 16GB Solid State Cache drive. I'm trying to keep it under $600 so I can't get both.

Current Specifications

Intel Core i3-3120M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
15.6" W HD (1366x768) AntiGlare, Midnight Black
Intel HD Graphics (WWAN or mSATA capable)
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
Keyboard with Number Pad - US English
720p HD Camera
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
6 cell Li-Ion Battery 48WH - 75+
65W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n

starting price $519

upgrades and price

320GB+ 16GB SSD cache + $50
6 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM) +$40
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about solid state cache drive extra
  1. The old conundrum, I guess it depends on in your case what you intend to use the laptop for. I would suspect for work, and running apps or programs, not so much games.

As rule if you intend to run a lot of programs all at once, switching between them while you work I would say memory, saying that 4Gb is sort of ok anyway.

The only good thing about for example fitting a M- Sata SSD would be faster loading and saving times/ and boot up times of the OS.
  2. weaselman said:
    The old conundrum, I guess it depends on in your case what you intend to use the laptop for. I would suspect for work, and running apps or programs, not so much games.

As rule if you intend to run a lot of programs all at once, switching between them while you work I would say memory, saying that 4Gb is sort of ok anyway.

The only good thing about for example fitting a M- Sata SSD would be faster loading and saving times/ and boot up times of the OS.

I will use it for college for the most part , using programs like VMWare, Microsoft office, and Packet tracer. Lastly moderate gaming during downtime.
  3. Best answer
    It won't come close to moderate gaming, unless you're talking about games that are 8 years old (and likely won't play nicely with windows 7.) Just trying to give you a bit of a heads up as to not expect too much.

I'd personally go for the cashe drive, though it'd probably be of better value, albeit more expensive, to buy a larger drive. 4GB is acceptable for your needs.
  4. Best answer selected by pjrcss1984.
  5. Don't underestimate the hd 4000, it'll play most modern games on low. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Solid State Cache Laptops Product