Sign in with
Your question

Win on mult. drives

Last response: in Windows 7
July 16, 2010 4:38:47 AM

Simple question that's probably been discussed already but I can't find it. Can I install my copy of Windows 7 oem on more than one drive?

More about : win mult drives

July 16, 2010 5:05:07 AM

The reason I ask is because I installed Windows 7 on a hd that I don't want. So I want to put Windows on this new drive.
a b $ Windows 7
July 16, 2010 5:28:09 AM

Install. YES.

Activate: Probably.

Move old drive to another computer: NO.

Replacing or upgrading a HDD doesn't violate the MS EULA.

If you have problems activating it, do the phone call activation thing. I did. It works!
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 16, 2010 3:53:39 PM

+1^
And with Win 7 it is very easy, use win 7 back up program to create a bootable DVD, then Using win7 BU, create a image file of your "C" drive. Disconnect old HDD and install new HDD. Boot to DVD and restore image file. The image file can be to DVDs (about 3), to a Thumb drive (need a 16, or 32 Gig drive), to an external HDD, or to your current HDD ie "D" drive (in this case do not disconnect old HDD, just set boot order to DVD - This is my least favorite method.
July 17, 2010 12:03:38 AM

I can't just take out the old hd and put the new hd in and do the same thing I did when I first installed Windows?
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2010 1:07:07 AM

Yes you can.

RetiredChief is just referring to if you wanted to backup or save your data from the old drive, and put it on the new drive.

I just reinstall, and reset any setttings I have/want. I have backups for important data, not specific Windows settings and the like.
July 17, 2010 1:31:21 AM

Nothing on the old hd but Windows. Haven't installed storage drive yet. Thanks guys.
!