Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Automatically starts with "diagnostic boot selected" .....

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first three,
then gets to
"start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point, I
can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
scroll, etc, but can't doubleclick something to open it - when i try, it
just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:52:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you have a
bad hard drive.

"bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:525A0DA6-A53E-47C5-A3E2-110BABE79677@microsoft.com...
> Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
> three,
> then gets to
> "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
> allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
> until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point,
> I
> can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
> scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try, it
> just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
> hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:35:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I think you may be right......this will be my 3rd in 3 years, so I've been in
denial :( 

"Michael T" wrote:

> My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you have a
> bad hard drive.
>
> "bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:525A0DA6-A53E-47C5-A3E2-110BABE79677@microsoft.com...
> > Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
> > three,
> > then gets to
> > "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
> > allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
> > until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point,
> > I
> > can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
> > scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try, it
> > just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
> > hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?
>
>
>
July 31, 2005 10:58:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you are going through 1 drive per year, you need to invest in a high
quality surge protector/UPS, or something with built in line conditioning.

Brian Pugh
A+, Network +, MCP


"bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EFE82F51-6511-46AE-A81F-744BF2FDF0CF@microsoft.com...
> I think you may be right......this will be my 3rd in 3 years, so I've been
in
> denial :( 
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
> > My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you
have a
> > bad hard drive.
> >
> > "bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:525A0DA6-A53E-47C5-A3E2-110BABE79677@microsoft.com...
> > > Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
> > > three,
> > > then gets to
> > > "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal
and
> > > allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several
hours)
> > > until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that
point,
> > > I
> > > can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight
&
> > > scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try,
it
> > > just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking
and
> > > hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?
> >
> >
> >
Related resources
!