Automatically starts with "diagnostic boot selected" .....

Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first three,
then gets to
"start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point, I
can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
scroll, etc, but can't doubleclick something to open it - when i try, it
just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?
3 answers Last reply
More about automatically starts diagnostic boot selected

    My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you have a
    bad hard drive.

    "bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
    > three,
    > then gets to
    > "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
    > allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
    > until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point,
    > can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
    > scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try, it
    > just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
    > hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?

    I think you may be right......this will be my 3rd in 3 years, so I've been in
    denial :(

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you have a
    > bad hard drive.
    >
    > "bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
    > > three,
    > > then gets to
    > > "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal and
    > > allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several hours)
    > > until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that point,
    > > can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight &
    > > scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try, it
    > > just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking and
    > > hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?

    If you are going through 1 drive per year, you need to invest in a high
    quality surge protector/UPS, or something with built in line conditioning.

    Brian Pugh
    A+, Network +, MCP

    > I think you may be right......this will be my 3rd in 3 years, so I've been
    in
    > denial :(
    >
    > "Michael T" wrote:
    >
    > > My recollection is that this "start dst short test" failure means you
    have a
    > > bad hard drive.
    > >
    > > "bigblimpin" <bigblimpin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Then, if I do nothing, it begins a series of tests. Passes the first
    > > > three,
    > > > then gets to
    > > > "start dst short test" and fails. If I hit Esc, it reboots as normal
    and
    > > > allows me to use it temporarily (anywhere from 1 minute, to several
    hours)
    > > > until it stops letting me type or use the keyboard at all. At that
    point,
    > > > can still use right-click functions and I can left click to highlight
    &
    > > > scroll, etc, but can't double-click something to open it - when I try,
    it
    > > > just brings up "properties". I can open anything by right-clicking
    and
    > > > hitting "open", however! Bizarre! Any suggestions?

Boot Windows XP