Help please.

G

I installed Windows 2K in my old system. Its a AMD Athlon 650 on an Asus K7v mobo with a Creative Labs GeForce 1 DDR.

When I first installed it with the nVidia 6.50, the computer booted to the logo screen where you have a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. When that bar finished the screen went black. It stayed like that for ages (about 10 minutes). So I just rebooted and started with vga mode. Installed the latest 4in1 drivers and rebooted. Still no progress.

I upgraded the bios from 1003 to 1007 which hasn't fixed anything. Tried both, the nvidia 6.31 and after that the 12.41. Neither worked. I even reinstalled win2k installing all the latest drivers first time. no avail.

Then I reinstalled windows again, installing the creative labs drivers, without the 4in1. Which works. I installed the 4in1 drivers and it still works.

But the problem is the latest creative labs drivers are really old. I want the nvidia drivers. Does anybody know why they don't work? My card doesn't have anythiong special like tv out or anything.

<font color=blue><b>Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?</b></font color=blue>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I've got the exact same configuration running Detonator 6.50. It was done long agao. I can't remember how I did it though. But, I do remember the Bastard at Creative didn't want to answer any enquiries about nVidia drivers.

If I remember what I did, I'll get back to you.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say, today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Heres the solution:

You need this <A HREF="http://ftp://ftp.tomshardware.com/pub/viaagp.zip" target="_new">viaagp.sys</A> file. Boot into win2k in safe mode. Rename the viaagp.sys file in there to viaagp.sys.old. copy the new one into that directory.

reboot the computer. All should be ok.

You can read more about this problem <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q2/000508/" target="_new">here</A>

I've installed the detonator 12.41. they work.

ps: the viaagp.sys is in your \<windows-dir>\system32\drivers

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say, today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
This is only slightly related, but I had the exact same problem in Windows ME with a Radeon Board, and the AGP file Holy Grenade helped solve the problem.

If it works for you then don't fix it.