Wifi Newbie needs tips

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have bought but not yet received a Compaq Armada 7792 Laptop PC (Windows
98) with HD and floppy drive but no CD drive fitted. I would like to Wifi
this machine with my desktop PC (Windows XP Pro).

I wish to share Internet access/email (PCI ADSL on board Desktop PC) with
the Laptop unit and play head to head games and access the Desktop PC's DVD
and two HD drives from the Laptop.

I propose to buy a PCMCIA wireless network card for the Laptop and a PCI
wireless network card for the desktop PC. I will not be using a Router but
simply an Ad Hoc wireless LAN or pier to pier as it is also know.

Anyone with tips preferably someone who has already experience of this type
of set-up please advise me.

thx Phil

You may have problem with some games, the wifi is simplex (only one can send
at the time) which may cause timing problems.
USB wifi adapter on a cable can work better then PCI card or even PCMCIA
card as it can be easily positioned for best signal, half an inch can make
difference.
Regards,
Martin

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I will take what you have said into consideration Martin² when I order the
wireless adapters. I have been looking at various makes including D-Link.
Some of the cheapo units reportedly have driver issues, what other good
brand names are there that you or anyone else could recommend.

thanks Phil

ps Why Martin²

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> You may have problem with some games, the wifi is simplex (only one can
send
> at the time) which may cause timing problems.
> USB wifi adapter on a cable can work better then PCI card or even PCMCIA
> card as it can be easily positioned for best signal, half an inch can make
> difference.
> Regards,
> Martin

I have switched from Vigor PCMCIA card to Proxim Orinoco USB 11b adapter
because I don't get good signal on my desk,
the Orinoco sits 5" high on a shelf where it's in line with the window
trough which the signal comes from another building 75m away.
Regards,
Martin