Sign in with
Your question

Sleep mode problems(now with powercfg -energy information)

Last response: in Windows 7
July 16, 2010 5:04:36 AM

I just installed windows 7 ultimate retail yesterday and so far it's working pretty well except for the following problem:

If I don't do anything with the KB or mouse after about 60 seconds the darn screen turns black, if I catch it quickly enough i can stop it from going into sleep or hybernate mode (not sure which it is), if not then i have to reenter the pwd. i've followed the advice in windows help and set all hybernate and sleep modes in power settings to never but it hasn't stopp the thing from going to sleep on me?

Any advice on how to stop this from happening? I'd like to set it up so it sleeps or hybernates after 20 mins or so but so far no luck extending the time it takes to sleep to that?
July 16, 2010 4:19:59 PM

So 45 people here looked at this and NO ONE knows the answer? So far upgrading to win 7 has been a total nightmare! So is this a bug, a problem with the coding, or what?
July 16, 2010 6:13:49 PM

trying to run the powercfg -energy command and I keep getting this error:

must be logged on as adminstrator and done from an elevated command prompt, whatever that is? I am logged on as admin and still can't run this from run or the command prompt??? Any ideas????
Related resources
July 16, 2010 6:45:23 PM

So I finally figured out how to run the powercfg -energy command, then went thru the hassle of trying to figure out how to read the file that was created (a lot harder than it should be) and got these results:

Analysis Results
Errors
Power Policy:D isplay timeout disabled (Plugged In)
The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 18, function 1
Device ID USB\VID_0518&PID_0001
Port Path 2

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4397
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 19, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_0A02
Port Path 1

Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 18, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4397
Port Path

Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 19, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4397
Port Path

Device Name USB Root Hub
Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4398
Port Path

Device Name USB Input Device
Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C213
Port Path 1

Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C404
Port Path 3

Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C21C
Port Path 1

Warnings
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
CPU Utilization:p rocessor utilization is moderate
The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 2.76

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name wmplayer.exe
PID 3464
Average Utilization (%) 0.25
Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\wmp.dll 0.04
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.02

Information
Platform Timer Resolution:p latform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced
Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:p ower Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality Balanced

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Battery:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported true
S4 Sleep Supported true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:p rocessor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 0
Idle (C) State Count 1
Performance (P) State Count 4
Throttle (T) State Count 0

Platform Power Management Capabilities:p rocessor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 1
Idle (C) State Count 1
Performance (P) State Count 4
Throttle (T) State Count 0

Now I have no idea what this even says or how to fix anything that is broken? All help will be gretly appreciated!
a b $ Windows 7
July 16, 2010 7:07:51 PM

look at screen saver settings
look at power config in the Bios
!