Windows Update: KB898461

What exactly does this particular update do? It just permanently installs
the Windows Installer package onto my computer and then how does it affect
future Windows Updates? Future Windows Updates with be much smaller than
what it is now?

--
Nocturnal
1 answer Last reply

    smaller download size

    [[The Package Installer for Windows is used to install software updates for
    Microsoft Windows operating systems and for other Microsoft products.
    Software update 898461 installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer
    for Windows version 6.1.22.4 on the computer so that subsequent software
    updates can have a significantly smaller download size.

    New features in the Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4
    Currently, the files for the Package Installer for Windows are downloaded
    every time that you use the Windows Update site or Automatic Updates to
    update the computer. This redundant download can be avoided if the installer
    files are made resident on the computer, because subsequent updates can use
    the resident files. Software update 898461 installs the files for the
    Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4 on the computer.

    Note This change in behavior applies only to express installation packages
    that are downloaded from the Windows Update site or through Automatic
    Updates for Microsoft Windows XP. Downloads from the Windows Update Catalog
    site are not affected.]]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];898461

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eQc7DzhlFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Nocturnal <nocturnal@anonymous.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What exactly does this particular update do? It just permanently installs
    > the Windows Installer package onto my computer and then how does it affect
    > future Windows Updates? Future Windows Updates with be much smaller than
    > what it is now?
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal

Windows Installer Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP