Windows Update: KB898461

What exactly does this particular update do? It just permanently installs
the Windows Installer package onto my computer and then how does it affect
future Windows Updates? Future Windows Updates with be much smaller than
what it is now?

--
Nocturnal

smaller download size

[[The Package Installer for Windows is used to install software updates for
Microsoft Windows operating systems and for other Microsoft products.
Software update 898461 installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer
for Windows version 6.1.22.4 on the computer so that subsequent software
updates can have a significantly smaller download size.

New features in the Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4
Currently, the files for the Package Installer for Windows are downloaded
every time that you use the Windows Update site or Automatic Updates to
update the computer. This redundant download can be avoided if the installer
files are made resident on the computer, because subsequent updates can use
the resident files. Software update 898461 installs the files for the
Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4 on the computer.

Note This change in behavior applies only to express installation packages
that are downloaded from the Windows Update site or through Automatic
Updates for Microsoft Windows XP. Downloads from the Windows Update Catalog
site are not affected.]]
;898461]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];898461

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.