Win XP, Orinoco and no beacons...

Hey,

I'd like to run my WAP with no beacon, but I'm having trouble with
WinXP.

It seems that when I do this, "Wireless Network Connection Properties"
can't find my access point. Is there a way to configure it statically
so that I can turn off the beacon?

BTW, when I turn off the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings" and attempt to configure it in the driver configuration,
Advanced tab, I only have two settings: Channel and Power Management.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rudy

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Don't know about the Ornico configuration, but if you disable SSID
broadcast, then on the client you need to manually type in the SSID to which
you wish to connect. That's the whole point - with broadcast off, there is
no way for any client to know about the network by passive probing. Once
you've typed in the SSID and connected to the net, the SSID should be
remembered in the site survey list as a potential connection.