cocreateinstance error on bootup

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Win XP Pro

I've just reinstalled my system and several programs. I've also begun
"customizing" windows such as getting rid of messenger, turning off automatic
update etc.

At the end of bootup, I get a small box in the middle of the screen with nothing on
the top section to indicate what program it is coming from or responding to. It
says:

"cocreateinstance error". There is a little "ok" and when I left click, the box
goes away and all seems to go very smoothely.

But something is wrong - any ideas of where I might start to look since there's no
error code and no reference to a particular program?

TIA

Louise

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

It is most likely one of the programs you have installed and running at
start-up. Disable your start up programs one at a time until you find out
which one is causing the error. When you do, try re-installing or updating
the application to the latest version. You can also check the Application
Log in Event Viewer. Go to Start/Run type eventvwr.msc to view the log file.

Brian Pugh
A+, Network +, MCP

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro
>
> I've just reinstalled my system and several programs. I've also begun
> "customizing" windows such as getting rid of messenger, turning off
> automatic
> update etc.
>
> At the end of bootup, I get a small box in the middle of the screen with
> nothing on
> the top section to indicate what program it is coming from or responding
> to. It
> says:
>
> "cocreateinstance error". There is a little "ok" and when I left click,
> the box
> goes away and all seems to go very smoothely.
>
> But something is wrong - any ideas of where I might start to look since
> there's no
> error code and no reference to a particular program?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

Hi Louise

See if the following helps:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=cocreateinstance+error&qt_s=Search

How are you going to obtain the Security/Critical Updates?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro
>
> I've just reinstalled my system and several programs. I've also begun
> "customizing" windows such as getting rid of messenger, turning off
> automatic
> update etc.
>
> At the end of bootup, I get a small box in the middle of the screen with
> nothing on
> the top section to indicate what program it is coming from or responding
> to. It
> says:
>
> "cocreateinstance error". There is a little "ok" and when I left click,
> the box
> goes away and all seems to go very smoothely.
>
> But something is wrong - any ideas of where I might start to look since
> there's no
> error code and no reference to a particular program?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <ectkr#klFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
willdenny@mvps.org says...
> Hi Louise
>
> See if the following helps:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=cocreateinstance+error&qt_s=Search
>
> How are you going to obtain the Security/Critical Updates?

Thanks - I checked the event log and it's Winfax Pro. I'll contact
Symantec or look in their knowledge base.

I will get the critical updates by running update manually. I have
it set to manual and therefore can always run it from there. I do
so periodically.

Louise

Hi Louise,

As Brain suggested, disable your start up programs one at a time to try to
find which program may cause this error message. At the same time, please
apply the latest updates for Windows XP and all the applications you have
installed.

To install the latest updates for Window XP, please visit the following
link.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

For other applications, please visit their relavant websites to update.

If this issue persists after you have applied all the updates for Windows
XP and applications, please help us collect the more information for
further troubleshooting:

1. Does this error message occur when you start the computer every time?

2. Does it occur when you start the computer in Windows safe mode?

Start Windows in Safe mode
--------------------------------------
a. Restart the computer.
b. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
c. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

3. To clarify the problem, please send a screenshot of the error message.

To take a screenshot, please refer to the following steps:
a. Reproduce the error message.
b. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
c. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
d. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File
menu, type file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and
click Save.

4. Please send the System Information file to me.

System Information
=================

1. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32.
2. Press OK.
3. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as a NFO file.

Please first zip the JPEG and NFO files and send it to me directly. My
e-mail address is: < v-adapan@microsoft.com >.

If there is anything unclear or you need further assistance, please let me
know.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <cSmpLHplFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>, v-
adapan@online.microsoft.com says...
> Hi Louise,
>
> As Brain suggested, disable your start up programs one at a time to try to
> find which program may cause this error message. At the same time, please
> apply the latest updates for Windows XP and all the applications you have
> installed.
>
> To install the latest updates for Window XP, please visit the following
> link.
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
>
> For other applications, please visit their relavant websites to update.
>
> If this issue persists after you have applied all the updates for Windows
> XP and applications, please help us collect the more information for
> further troubleshooting:
>
> 1. Does this error message occur when you start the computer every time?
>
> 2. Does it occur when you start the computer in Windows safe mode?
>
> Start Windows in Safe mode
> --------------------------------------
> a. Restart the computer.
> b. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
> c. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
>
> 3. To clarify the problem, please send a screenshot of the error message.
>
> To take a screenshot, please refer to the following steps:
> a. Reproduce the error message.
> b. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
> c. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
> d. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File
> menu, type file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and
> click Save.
>
> 4. Please send the System Information file to me.
>
> System Information
> =================
>
> 1. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32.
> 2. Press OK.
> 3. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as a NFO file.
>
> Please first zip the JPEG and NFO files and send it to me directly. My
> e-mail address is: < v-adapan@microsoft.com >.

Well....this is very strange - but - as I am in the process of
rebuilding my system, I installed Symantec Norton Ghost which
needed to install some kind of net tool for Windows. No sooner did
I install Symantec Ghost, then the problems with Symantec WinFax
Pro seem to have disappeared. No more cocreate error - at least
not today.

BUT - I now have a situation where, when I boot up I get the double
screen and I have to choose myself as the user before windows
proceeds. How can I bring it back to automatically booting up
since I am the only user.

Thanks again.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <MPG.1d58699a2c35a2e6989688@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
nospam@nospam.com says...
> In article <cSmpLHplFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>, v-
> adapan@online.microsoft.com says...
> > Hi Louise,
> >
> > As Brain suggested, disable your start up programs one at a time to try to
> > find which program may cause this error message. At the same time, please
> > apply the latest updates for Windows XP and all the applications you have
> > installed.
> >
> > To install the latest updates for Window XP, please visit the following
> > link.
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
> >
> > For other applications, please visit their relavant websites to update.
> >
> > If this issue persists after you have applied all the updates for Windows
> > XP and applications, please help us collect the more information for
> > further troubleshooting:
> >
> > 1. Does this error message occur when you start the computer every time?
> >
> > 2. Does it occur when you start the computer in Windows safe mode?
> >
> > Start Windows in Safe mode
> > --------------------------------------
> > a. Restart the computer.
> > b. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
> > c. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
> >
> > 3. To clarify the problem, please send a screenshot of the error message.
> >
> > To take a screenshot, please refer to the following steps:
> > a. Reproduce the error message.
> > b. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
> > c. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
> > d. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File
> > menu, type file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and
> > click Save.
> >
> > 4. Please send the System Information file to me.
> >
> > System Information
> > =================
> >
> > 1. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32.
> > 2. Press OK.
> > 3. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as a NFO file.
> >
> > Please first zip the JPEG and NFO files and send it to me directly. My
The saga continues. After installing all the critical Windows
updates, Office updates and SP2, I no longer have the double screen
at bootup.

So I think it's all fixed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Louise

Hello Louise,

Glad to hear these two issues were resolved. Feel free to post here if you
have any questions.