Repair or Replace...

Status
Not open for further replies.

naloomi

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I am in the states and I currently have an ASUS Republic of Gamers G60JX that I have been 'bandaid' fixing for over a year at this point.

Current Specs in this system (that probably matter):
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel i5 CPU, m 430 @2.27GHz, 2 cores
4gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTS 360M

Now I am having several issues with this laptop.
A) It overheats easily, have to have it on a separate fan unit just to use.
B) Battery is shot (no brainer her, buy a new battery)
C) Most of the USB ports barely work
D) I've replaced the keyboard and lost my illuminated one due to keys no longer working (Space bar and E key primarily). Illuminated keyboard was ~$125 more than the $20 for the regular keyboard. I didn't need illumination THAT badly.
E) Wifi no longer works (toggling this on/off shows that WLAN is still 'off') - this may just be the cable, I could pull the keyboard and see if this came loose
F) HDMI port doesn't work any longer
G) Where you plug in the cord seems loose, although I haven't noticed issues (but I haven't been moving around with it either).

I picked this laptop up 2..5-3 years ago I believe for an awesome price, and have never regretted buying the ASUS laptop. My needs, in my opinion, are relatively simple.

At this point in my life, I'm a casual PC gamer - Diablo 2/3, Torchlight, Civ IV, and the occasional Flash based online game. I play most of my games on my PS3 or iPhone. I run an online business and do all of my PHP/Image/Website editing on the laptop itself. Occasionally I go to conventions and take the laptop and printer with me for orders, receipts, etc. I also currently use the laptop as a PS3 Media Server (since I don't move it anymore due to battery life).

I would like advice on what to do. The options, as I see it:

A) Buy a new laptop, with a budget of about $600-$700 (If I buy a new laptop, I likely also have to buy a new laser printer for about $100-$150, as I currently use a HP Laserjet 1012, which is barely compatible with Windows 7 and absolutely NOT compatible with Windows 8).

B) Repair the Asus.

C) Buy a 'clunker' laptop - Best Buy has a Toshiba laptop for $280 and expect to replace it in 12-18 months.

My issue with B is cost. I'm afraid of the repair costing far far too much. My issue with C is I feel like I would be taking a step backwards 'computing power' wise, but I'm not sold on NEEDING the computing power that I already have. Any thoughts or help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
MB wouldnt be worth it. I think those used the 260m, right? I had one. They run VERY hot. What I did was cut out the plastic circle under the laptop, the one with the metal trim, and glued a fan grille on, took temps down quite a bit

naloomi

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
If you are talking graphics card nvalhalla, it runs the 360m. THere is no 'plastic circle' under the laptop. Only 2 of the 4 USB ports work with any 'regularity', and only 1 USB port works all the time.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would recommend to get the new laptop since repair will cost you quite a lot and in the end, u are only end up with the old hardware anyway.

It is recommended to get win 7 notebook but u will have hard time finding it these days.

To get the your printer work with win 8, follow these steps [url=http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/689749-guide-how-add-hp-laserjet-1010-1012-1015-printer-windows-8-a.html]http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/689749-guide-how-add-hp-laserjet-1010-1012-1015-printer-windows-8-a.html [/url]

naloomi

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
At this point, after looking at pricing for the repair vs a newer laptop, I believe I am going to go with a clunker laptop from Best Buy. Both of the ones I'm considering are sub $300, just need to last me a year, and I can still use my current laptop, just not as a 'lap top computer' but as a regular computer on a desk.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.