Dell 600M Notebook - Auto Reboots when goes in to standby ..

My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into standby
or hibernate mode.

Any thoughts?
4 answers Last reply
More about dell 600m notebook auto reboots standby

    Looks like a driver problem.

    Check Device Manager for indications of a bad driver.

    Check Event Viewer for errors marked with red X.
    Start > Run and type
    eventvwr.msc
    click OK.

    "Harry Computer" <Harry Computer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into
    > standby
    > or hibernate mode.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    "Harry Computer" <Harry Computer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into
    > standby
    > or hibernate mode.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Start - Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup And Recovery - Settings.

    Remove the checkmark on "Automatically Restart". This way you should at
    least get an error message - i.e., a STOP Message. When you know what the
    error is, you can search for a solution on Google, or post here.

    All the drivers look fine. NO bad ones in the device manager.

    Also, set the thing to not auto restart on error and it restarted anyways.

    Went into the event viewew. HEre is one of the listings:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10020
    Date: 7/31/2005
    Time: 11:43:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HARRYDELL
    The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
    invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
    invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
    permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: DCOM
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 10020
    > Date: 7/31/2005
    > Time: 11:43:09 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: HARRYDELL
    > The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
    > invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
    > invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
    > permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative
    > tool.

    Unfortunately Component Services is not one of my areas of expertise -
    especially since we do not know (yet) which Component Service is at fault.

    I do know that a poster with similar symptoms to yours (the Component
    Service was DrWebCom) was instructed to do the following:

    *****************
    You should correct permissions for DrWeb DCOM object, go to:
    Administrative Tools->Component Services->Component Services->Computers-> My
    Computer->DCOM Config->DrWebCom

    Right click and select properties.
    Select 'Security' tab and click on 'Edit...' button for 'Launch and
    Activation Permissions'.
    Add to list 'SYSTEM' user and set the following permissions:
    +Local Launch
    +Local Activation

    Restart DrWeb and check it out.

    Hope this helps.

Windows XP Support Notebooks Dell Computers Microsoft