Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell 600M Notebook - Auto Reboots when goes in to standby ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:48:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into standby
or hibernate mode.

Any thoughts?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:22:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Looks like a driver problem.

Check Device Manager for indications of a bad driver.

Check Event Viewer for errors marked with red X.
Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc
click OK.


"Harry Computer" <Harry Computer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EAF8290B-5220-4C7B-A823-301861C804D5@microsoft.com...
> My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into
> standby
> or hibernate mode.
>
> Any thoughts?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Harry Computer" <Harry Computer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EAF8290B-5220-4C7B-A823-301861C804D5@microsoft.com...
> My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into
> standby
> or hibernate mode.
>
> Any thoughts?

Start - Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup And Recovery - Settings.

Remove the checkmark on "Automatically Restart". This way you should at
least get an error message - i.e., a STOP Message. When you know what the
error is, you can search for a solution on Google, or post here.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:48:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

All the drivers look fine. NO bad ones in the device manager.

Also, set the thing to not auto restart on error and it restarted anyways.

Went into the event viewew. HEre is one of the listings:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10020
Date: 7/31/2005
Time: 11:43:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HARRYDELL
Description:
The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


"Michael T" wrote:

> Looks like a driver problem.
>
> Check Device Manager for indications of a bad driver.
>
> Check Event Viewer for errors marked with red X.
> Start > Run and type
> eventvwr.msc
> click OK.
>
>
> "Harry Computer" <Harry Computer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EAF8290B-5220-4C7B-A823-301861C804D5@microsoft.com...
> > My Dell computer running XP Professional, reboots when it goes into
> > standby
> > or hibernate mode.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:13:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Harry Computer" <HarryComputer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E7760B3A-948C-488A-AE1C-05947AAFC728@microsoft.com...
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DCOM
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 10020
> Date: 7/31/2005
> Time: 11:43:09 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: HARRYDELL
> Description:
> The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
> invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
> invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
> permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative
> tool.
>

Unfortunately Component Services is not one of my areas of expertise -
especially since we do not know (yet) which Component Service is at fault.

I do know that a poster with similar symptoms to yours (the Component
Service was DrWebCom) was instructed to do the following:

*****************
You should correct permissions for DrWeb DCOM object, go to:
Administrative Tools->Component Services->Component Services->Computers-> My
Computer->DCOM Config->DrWebCom

Right click and select properties.
Select 'Security' tab and click on 'Edit...' button for 'Launch and
Activation Permissions'.
Add to list 'SYSTEM' user and set the following permissions:
+Local Launch
+Local Activation

Restart DrWeb and check it out.
*****************

Hope this helps.
!