I have a great problem with calling IE and was told to accept
c:\windows\system32\dllcache\winsock.dll and rename
c:\windows\system32\winsock.dll.
But after every renaming I just get a new winsock.dll. What to do?

Why do you want to delete the Winsock.dll file?

winsock.dll is a protected Windows system file, and will be replaced
immediately after you delete it.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"pauli-" <pauli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a great problem with calling IE and was told to accept
> c:\windows\system32\dllcache\winsock.dll and rename
> c:\windows\system32\winsock.dll.
> But after every renaming I just get a new winsock.dll. What to do?

For two reasons.
1. I had a problem receiving Office Oulook emails. MS-Help told me to look
for versions of winstock.dll, winsock32.dll, wsock.vxd and wsock32.wxd. Files
found in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache was OK, but I had to rename files found
in C:\Windows\System32. This advice gave me back my email.
2. Now I have a new problem. I have my email without renaming! But instead I
can not start IE after having it opened-closed. To succeed I have to restart
my pc from a safety catch/piont (? Don't know the right word - I'm Danish).
And renaming gives, as You write, immediately a replacement.

pauli

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Why do you want to delete the Winsock.dll file?
>
> winsock.dll is a protected Windows system file, and will be replaced
> immediately after you delete it.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "pauli-" <pauli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a great problem with calling IE and was told to accept
> > c:\windows\system32\dllcache\winsock.dll and rename
> > c:\windows\system32\winsock.dll.
> > But after every renaming I just get a new winsock.dll. What to do?

pauli,

If I understand correctly, you're unable to open a second instance of
Internet Explorer while in a logon session? Have you scanned for Malware and
viruses?

--

> For two reasons.
> 1. I had a problem receiving Office Oulook emails. MS-Help told me to look
> for versions of winstock.dll, winsock32.dll, wsock.vxd and wsock32.wxd.
> Files
> found in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache was OK, but I had to rename files
> found
> in C:\Windows\System32. This advice gave me back my email.
> 2. Now I have a new problem. I have my email without renaming! But instead
> can not start IE after having it opened-closed. To succeed I have to
> restart
> my pc from a safety catch/piont (? Don't know the right word - I'm
> Danish).
> And renaming gives, as You write, immediately a replacement.
>
> pauli
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Why do you want to delete the Winsock.dll file?
>>
>> winsock.dll is a protected Windows system file, and will be replaced
>> immediately after you delete it.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "pauli-" <pauli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a great problem with calling IE and was told to accept
>> > c:\windows\system32\dllcache\winsock.dll and rename
>> > c:\windows\system32\winsock.dll.
>> > But after every renaming I just get a new winsock.dll. What to do?

Ramesh,
Thanks for your help so far.
I have no problem in opening a second web-site while IE is open. The problem
is: I can re-open IE (or any other web-site) after haveing IE closed, unless
I restart my pc from a 'safety catch/piont'.

pauli

"pauli-" wrote:

> Ramesh,
> Thanks for your help so far.
> I have no problem in opening a second web-site while IE is open. The problem
> is: I cann't re-open IE (or any other web-site) after haveing IE closed, unless
> I restart my pc from a 'safety catch/piont'.
>
> pauli
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > pauli,
> >
> > If I understand correctly, you're unable to open a second instance of
> > Internet Explorer while in a logon session? Have you scanned for Malware and
> > viruses?
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "pauli-" <pauli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > For two reasons.
> > > 1. I had a problem receiving Office Oulook emails. MS-Help told me to look
> > > for versions of winstock.dll, winsock32.dll, wsock.vxd and wsock32.wxd.
> > > Files
> > > found in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache was OK, but I had to rename files
> > > found
> > > in C:\Windows\System32. This advice gave me back my email.
> > > 2. Now I have a new problem. I have my email without renaming! But instead
> > > can not start IE after having it opened-closed. To succeed I have to
> > > restart
> > > my pc from a safety catch/piont (? Don't know the right word - I'm
> > > Danish).
> > > And renaming gives, as You write, immediately a replacement.
> > >
> > > pauli

pauli,

Run these malware cleaners:

1. Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

2. SpyBot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org

3. CWShredder

Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

Additional points:

Disable 3rd party browser extensions to determine if the problem is caused
by add-ons.

1. Click Start, Run, type Control Inetcpl.cpl.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart) check box.
4. Restart Internet Explorer.

--

> "pauli-" wrote:
>
>> Ramesh,
>> Thanks for your help so far.
>> I have no problem in opening a second web-site while IE is open. The
>> problem
>> is: I cann't re-open IE (or any other web-site) after haveing IE closed,
>> unless
>> I restart my pc from a 'safety catch/piont'.
>>
>> pauli
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > pauli,
>> >
>> > If I understand correctly, you're unable to open a second instance of
>> > Internet Explorer while in a logon session? Have you scanned for
>> > Malware and
>> > viruses?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >

>> > "pauli-" <pauli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Well, dear Ramesh,

I have now, delaied by lots of program-reading/learning, carried out point 1
and 2 in your plan and have allready a solution to my problem. But I will
carry on through point 3 to see what happens.
Thanks for your help - so far.

pauli-

You're welcome pauli.