AGP Setting

G

Hi, Ive just bought an MSI GeForce2 MX card, and plugged it into my AOpenAX64Pro m/b. I went to the BIOS setup and set AGP mode to 4x. However, when I run the MSI's application fot the video card, and I check it's settings, its set to AGPx1 and I can't check the AGPx2 or x4 box. The only thing i CAN change is the mem and core speeds f the video card. How do I get my video card to run at x4?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
try going back into your bios again and change the AGP back to 2X (by diabling AGP 4X) Then reinstall your card. Once you do this, try restarting the system and once you have everything working properly, upgrade the AGP spped to 4X. Also, before you do reinstall the card, set the the Vidoe drivers to the standard PCI display driver and make sure that any old Video card drivers on your systme (from the current board od the one that your MX replaced) are not there. What king of Vidoe board did you have before? Also, what Operating System are you using? I doubt that the board has jumpers to enable the 4X but you may ant to check out the reference manual to see if it does.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Ok, im gonna try and do what you say, but how do i set the video drivers to the standard PCI? I used to have an ol Riva TNT.
Im using Windows98SE, and my m/b does support AGPx4...i checked it on the box, manual and online. (Aopen AX64Pro).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Found your motherboard at the Aopen site (not easy, no search function). Your mobo has a VIA chipset. To make AGP 2X or 4X work you should download the Via 4-in-1 drivers and install them. When you do, be sure to select the Turbo option otherwise you will be stuck at AGP 1X. After you install the drivers you can select AGP 4X in your BIOS. Deselecting 4X in your BIOS will force AGP 2X.

AOPEN only has the 4.29(v) drivers on their site but they will work. Get them at the link below.

<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/mbdrv/via.htm" target="_new">http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/mbdrv/via.htm</A>

or

<A HREF="http://English.aopen.com.tw/tech/download/mbdrv/via.htm" target="_new">http://English.aopen.com.tw/tech/download/mbdrv/via.htm</A>

You can also get the latest official Via drivers (4.31, I think) at <A HREF="http://www.viatech.com" target="_new">http://www.viatech.com</A> but there may be a reason that AOPEN has revised the drivers at their sites.

G

thanks. Ill try that. But Ive done something similar to that before, as in installing the 4-in-1 drivers. and ive tried using the Turbo option. The MSI 3D!Turbo2000 (video card program) still recognizes my card as a x1. But ill give your solution a go. Will keep you posted. Thanks a lot.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I was told that the Turbo feature is not as reliable as one would think. To change to a standard PCI video Adapter you should:
1. Go to your the control panal and then click system.
2. delect your device driver then under the driver settings, click change driver.
3. After that select the I want to select my own driver.
4. Click "show all device drivers" instead of searching of the proper one.
5. One the far left collumn, you should see standard device drivers and select the one that says Standard PCI video Driver.
6. Follow the instructions and then restart your computer.
Also note that you need to uninstall all other video drivers that you you may have on your system. If this does not work on your first try, I would highly recommmend that you backup all your neccesary file and reformate your hard drive and start anew. Make sure that you have all the latest drivers for all your devices including your motherboard, DirectX and video card. If you have any other questions,let us know.

G

What do you know, I installed the m/b drivers with the previous version instead of the lastest version and it worked. It now says that Im running AGPx4. However, Im still gonna try to detect the old video card drivers and delete them. Thanks guys.

By the way, why isnt Turbo mode reliable? Would it screw up my system in the long run?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was under the impression that AGP 4X was unstable with a VIA chipset until the 4.25a 4-in-1 drivers came out. I've been using AGP 4X ever since.

On the otherhand, I have seen little or no benefit of AGP 4X vs 2X. No framerate differences in any of the that I have tested. 3DMark2001 showed a difference of 23 points which represents almost a 1% gain for my video card. In my opinion, if AGP 4X works for you then use it but if it doesn't just go back to AGP 2X and don't worry about it.

G

I have another question. What does the AGP aperture size (32, 64 128 or 256) in the BIOS setup do? And what enhancements does AGP Pro have over AGP?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't really know what AGP aperature does but you are supposed to set it two 1/2 of your total RAM. Also, if you set it below 32mb then your AGP card will act like a PCI card, that is really slowly.

AGP Pro has extra pins, the edge connector is longer. The extra pins are to provide more current for power hungry cards like professional ones. I don't know if there are any additional signals. Consumer cards like Geforce 2s, 3s, ATI Radeons, etc. are all AGP not AGP Pro.

Now you know everything I know about these subjects.

My system consists of a Duron 600 @ 900mhz (Normally it's at 1007 but it was a hot day), an Abit KT7, 384mb of OCZ SDRAM, OCZ Monster II HSF, a VisionTek Geforce256 SDR (overclocked to 135/185 normally and 150/210 when games demand), Maxtor DiamondMax VL40 hard drive, HP 8100i CD-RW, and misc old hardware.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/26/01 00:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Oh ok. My AGP aperture size is set to 64mb now, so i guess ill have to change it to 128mb. This doesn't relate to AGP, but am I right to say that to overclock my GeForce2 MX card is by increasing the memory (166) and core (175) speeds from the Turbo!2000 (MSI's) program? Which one do I change? Would it make a lot of difference when playing games with an overclocked video card?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First, a word of warning. Go carefully with video card overclocking. You can damage your card permanently.

You get the more gains from overclocking the memory and only small gains from speeding up the GPU core. That said you get the most from a combination of both. If you have a sufficiently fast processor then you will find that a 10% increase in memory speed will yield a 10% improvement in framerates. 20% will yield 20%. However, a similar 20% increase in core speed will produce only about 3% to 5% improvement in framerates. At least the first example shows why video overclocking is so attractive.

I recommend you keep you video overclocking very conservative until you play a game that demands it. If you're playing something old like Need for Speed III you just don't need maximum framerates.

I like using a third party utility for overclocking. My preference is Geforce Tweak. It has lots of options that you can play with but the main thing I like is you can set one set overclock values for default (when Windows loads) but you can also change values on the fly. The program remembers the last on-the-fly setting so all you have to do is start Geforce Tweak and click on it when you need that extra boost. For example, my old Geforce256 SDR has factory settings of 120/166, core mhz/memory mhz. I set Geforce Tweak to have the defaults of 135/185 and my on-the-fly setting is 150/210.

You will have to find your own values but here is my second warning. Start with memory and increase slowly, no more than 5mhz at a time. After you increase test the setting thoroughly. Make sure the system POSTs and Windows loads. Run some games that you are very familiar with. Make sure there are now video problems. Vertical lines usually mean your memory has been pushed too far. Shut down immediately, in this case. You may also see sparkling rectangles. I'm not sure if this a core problem or a memory problem but this is also a sign to stop and reduce your level of overclock. Of course, if you develop stability problems this is also a sign to cut back (although, it is possible that something else is causing instability and that the overclocking is making things worse. If this is true you might be able to resolve the instability problem by other means and then later resume your overclocking tests).

I recommend that you have a good power supply if you plan on doing any overclocking. I'd start with a 350 watt unit like the Enermax EG365P-V. More is even better but gets costly. The Enermax is only about $65 USD. With a good power supply you can rule it out from ever being a source of instability.

Hope this helps.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The AGP Apiture Size I believe (As my motherboard manel explained) is how much RAM you have on your Video Card, it did not say what improvement could be made if yuor set it for more memory than you have however.

G

GeForce Tweak huh? Ok, Im gonna look for it after this and start experimenting, carefully or course. Im not sure how much my MX card can take. I read some review and apparently MSI's MX card isnt all that great. But its working for me at the moment.

AGP aperture is the mem size on my card? Hmmm....my default setting is 64mb, but my MX only has 34mb.

What do you suggest as a suitable upgrade to a P!!! 450? Im also considering AMD, since my housemate has an AMD K7 900mhz with an ABIT KT7 RIAD board. What are your views on AMD?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I like AMD. I've used AMD processors since 1987, almost exclusively due to low cost. Currently I have a Duron on a KT7 motherboard.

I don't know what motherboard you are using but will it accept a faster processor. Might be a cheap way to go.

As for Athlon motherboards I'm partial to Abit but it doesn't mean I won't buy something else. I'm still waiting until DDR motherboards seem more stable before I upgrade. However, if I had to buy today I would go with SDRAM not DDR but I'm not telling anyone else to do this. It's just my preference at this time. I just think that KT133A motherboards are mature if still slightly quirky. I like the Iwill KK266. On a budget I like the Abit KT7E which uses the KT133E chipset but is functionally equivalent to a KT7A (non RAID) at least some reviews have indicated this. The board is available for only $88 USD which makes it a bargain.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Actually the AGP Aperture should be set to half the amount of SYSTEM RAM. Some say you get a tiny performance increase if you set it to max, but there might be some instabilities. Mine is set to max with no problems.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday