Backup and Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marg114

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello,
I have a Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5750G Laptop. Yesterday I installed a new Font that I inadvertently installed a toolbar with it. I can't remember the name of the programe, but when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn’t there, so I tried to restore my laptop to an earlier date, now nothing works. All I get is The backup and restore application could not start due to an internal error: Class not registered (0X80040154). can someone help please.

I use Google Chrome as my browser and Hotmail as my email.

I have Avast, CCCleaner, and Spybot S-D.

Since using my laptop to a previous restore point everything has gone wrong, I can't get into uninstall, I can't use my restore point, I can't use anything in My Control Panel. Network sharing will not open either.

warhead0

Distinguished
Sounds like you really screwed up installing that font.

No font should install extra toolbars.. EVER.

So I'm assuming you can boot into windows fine, are you able to launch the laptops built in system reset tool?

Most laptops have this built in, in case of things like this, where you can simple factory reset the laptop, and start again.

I would very highly recommend backing up important data first as doing this will probably delete everything from the PC.

Marg114

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Do I need to install a BACKUP programe or just plug my external hard drive (That I have just gone out and bought) and type BACKUP?

Marg114

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I have just bought an external hard drive to back up everything before doing a factory set.Do I need to download a BACKUP Program first?

you can use a Backup program, or you can just copy all the files/folders that you will need to keep.

To fix your "windows" problem, you can do a re-install of windows as an UPGRADE. This will only "repair" your windows files, Your Programs should all be picked up.

I did this on my wife's computer as she had a problem with Windows updates. So I used a windows 7 upgrade disk and did an upgrade. It did fix her problems and ALL programs and drivers were carried over to the re-installed windows. Did have to re-download all windows 7 updates. ALL of her generated files were intact

As others stated, Do a backup of ALL of the data files that you have created, recommend to a external HDD.

Marg114

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I have now bought an external Hard Drive. However, when I plugged it in I got the message outlined below.
One or more features failed to install Details: Error: 1601. The Windows installer could not be accessed. contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered.

I then tried Factory Restore: However, Microsoft.NET Framework. Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. class not registered (Exception from HRESULT.

I carried on and this came up: I only got Failed to Initialize Volume Shadow Copy service. Maybe some files cannot be backed up. Please close the smaller software and Windows system snapshot and then try again.

I don't know what else to try:(

Can you initialize he service manually, in Admin Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS