Will XP support this many Hard Drives?

Stephen

Hi

This might be off topic.

I have got XP Home.

My motherboard has 2 IDE outputs.

I want add 2 more drives, making a total of 5 drives.

Will XP support this.

This is my set up now;

1st IDE ATA = Main Drive (C) - no slave drive.
2nd IDE ATA = DVD RW then a CD RW as a slave.

What I want to add is another 2 hard drives.

I realise I can add one drive to the master but
where could I place the fifth drive?

Is it possible to add another slave to an existing slave?

Thanks in advance - Stephen

Hi,

If you have an available PCI slot you can add a controller card. You can
then add multiple additional drives to it. There isn't a limitation per se
within Windows XP, but there are limitations on how you can expand your
hardware.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stephen" <stephen@knight04july.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> This might be off topic.
>
> I have got XP Home.
>
> My motherboard has 2 IDE outputs.
>
> I want add 2 more drives, making a total of 5 drives.
>
> Will XP support this.
>
> This is my set up now;
>
> 1st IDE ATA = Main Drive (C) - no slave drive.
> 2nd IDE ATA = DVD RW then a CD RW as a slave.
>
> What I want to add is another 2 hard drives.
>
> I realise I can add one drive to the master but
> where could I place the fifth drive?
>
> Is it possible to add another slave to an existing slave?
>
> Thanks in advance - Stephen

Stephen

One easy way would be to remove the CD-RW as you already have a DVD-RW..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Stephen" <stephen@knight04july.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> This might be off topic.
>
> I have got XP Home.
>
> My motherboard has 2 IDE outputs.
>
> I want add 2 more drives, making a total of 5 drives.
>
> Will XP support this.
>
> This is my set up now;
>
> 1st IDE ATA = Main Drive (C) - no slave drive.
> 2nd IDE ATA = DVD RW then a CD RW as a slave.
>
> What I want to add is another 2 hard drives.
>
> I realise I can add one drive to the master but
> where could I place the fifth drive?
>
> Is it possible to add another slave to an existing slave?
>
> Thanks in advance - Stephen

It's not XP but the hardware that would prevent this. By default only 4 IDE
devices are supported--two masters and 2 slaves. Unless you add an IDE
add-on card, use a different type of device (such as SATA or SCSI) or use an
external USB or serial drive (and the motherboard supports it), you are
scuppered. This is a limitation of the technology.