Windows XP home won't do system restore.

It won't do disk clean up either, and runs very slow. Even opening or closing
a word document takes ages. On the occasions that Sys. restore operates, it
takes maybe 30 mins or more, then tells me it can't do the specified date.
Machine was shutting down before, but air dusting the processor etc cleared
that. Help appreciated.
Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D7820 notebook.
9 answers Last reply
More about windows home system restore

    Hi George,

    Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It won't do disk clean up either, and runs very slow. Even opening or
    > closing
    > a word document takes ages. On the occasions that Sys. restore operates,
    > it
    > takes maybe 30 mins or more, then tells me it can't do the specified date.
    > Machine was shutting down before, but air dusting the processor etc
    > cleared
    > that. Help appreciated.
    > Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D7820 notebook.

    Run an online scan, eg Symantec
    Download update and run both Adaware and SpyBot

    "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It won't do disk clean up either, and runs very slow. Even opening or
    closing
    > a word document takes ages. On the occasions that Sys. restore operates,
    it
    > takes maybe 30 mins or more, then tells me it can't do the specified date.
    > Machine was shutting down before, but air dusting the processor etc
    cleared
    > that. Help appreciated.
    > Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D7820 notebook.

    Thanks all so far! Will report progress.

    George wrote:
    > It won't do disk clean up either, and runs very slow. Even opening or
    > closing a word document takes ages. On the occasions that Sys.
    > restore operates, it takes maybe 30 mins or more, then tells me it
    > can't do the specified date. Machine was shutting down before, but
    > air dusting the processor etc cleared that. Help appreciated.
    > Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D7820 notebook.

    Run virus and spyware scans in safe mode. Remove any thing detected by the
    scanners.

    --
    Use these spyware scanners to erraticate your spyware problem:
    *Make sure you check for spyware definition updates for all of these

    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    Ad-Aware SE 1.06 Personal
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spyware Blaster 3.4

    Spy Sweeper 4.0.3 Build 405
    http://www.webroot.com

    XoftSpy 4.15
    http://www.paretologic.com

    CWShredder 2.15*

    * = Use the standalone version of CWShredder.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

    System restore does not work on my PC. NEw hard drive and
    completely clean software restoration. There is no Adware
    or Spyware or Viruses. I've run Adaware, Spybot and
    Norton Anti-Virus full scan,. not to mention real time
    protection Zone Alarm and Norton Anti Virus has been on since
    before I went on line first time with the new hard drive..
    System restore is on, but has NEVER succeeded in doing
    a restoration. It always ends with "Your computer cannot be
    restored...". Doesn't matter which or how many points I choose.
    The only exception to this is I have twice tried immediately
    after turning it off to delete old points and turning it on
    to create a new system checkpoint. I've done that twice
    and it worked each time. Whenever it fails I do turn it off
    and then on again to delete the checkpoints, but
    inevitably if I try it when there's been more than the
    initial checkpoint, it won't work. I had a number of
    occasions to do this over a couple days of reloading
    software.

    I used Norton GoBack for a while and it worked like
    a charm, however the latest version causes the
    computer to lock up when going into standby.

    Any suggestions as to what the source of this problem
    is? Is System Restore software notorious for its
    failures.

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:02:14 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi George,
    >
    >Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    >restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    >it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    >Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >
    >Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    >need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    >this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >
    >Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    >doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >
    >If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >
    >Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    >files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    >"Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    >extensions for known file types".
    >
    >Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    >C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    >install.
    >
    >You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    >is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    >\ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

    Your problem is the norton antivirus program. Turn it off they try your
    system restore.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

    Hi Jim,

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
    sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
    upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
    information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Jim wrote:
    > System restore does not work on my PC. NEw hard drive and
    > completely clean software restoration. There is no Adware
    > or Spyware or Viruses. I've run Adaware, Spybot and
    > Norton Anti-Virus full scan,. not to mention real time
    > protection Zone Alarm and Norton Anti Virus has been on
    > since before I went on line first time with the new hard
    > drive.. System restore is on, but has NEVER succeeded in
    > doing
    > a restoration. It always ends with "Your computer cannot
    > be restored...". Doesn't matter which or how many points
    > I choose. The only exception to this is I have twice
    > tried immediately after turning it off to delete old
    > points and turning it on
    > to create a new system checkpoint. I've done that twice
    > and it worked each time. Whenever it fails I do turn it
    > off and then on again to delete the checkpoints, but
    > inevitably if I try it when there's been more than the
    > initial checkpoint, it won't work. I had a number of
    > occasions to do this over a couple days of reloading
    > software.
    >
    > I used Norton GoBack for a while and it worked like
    > a charm, however the latest version causes the
    > computer to lock up when going into standby.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what the source of this problem
    > is? Is System Restore software notorious for its
    > failures.
    >

    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:02:14 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\"
    > Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi George,
    >>
    >> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do
    >> is stop it and restart it. Start/run services.msc,
    >> locate the SR service and doubleclick it. Click the stop
    >> button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    >> Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >>
    >> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on
    >> each drive (you may need to set folder options/view tab
    >> to see hidden and system folders for this) and delete
    >> any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >>
    >> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing
    >> restore points, but it doesn't really matter as they
    >> weren't working anyways.
    >>
    >> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall
    >> System Restore:
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it
    >> to "Show hidden files and folders" and "Show the
    >> contents of system folders", then uncheck "Hide
    >> protected operating system files [recommended]". Also
    >> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>
    >> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and
    >> go to the C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file,
    >> right-click it and choose install.
    >>
    >> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know
    >> where your I386 folder is located on the hard drive. You
    >> may also need to know where the \ServicePackFiles folder
    >> is (usually under the Windows directory).
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

    The error event code was always 111 which was not very informative.

    I went through everything on the first URL below and everything
    checked out o.k., so I reinstalled it (after finding two viruses in
    Panda's on line scan that Norton never found). It SEEMS to be
    working. I was able to use it to undo an installation of the
    recommended Avast 4 Home...after it hijacked my Firefox start page.

    Hopefully...if I need it again it will work again.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:05:13 -0400, "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi Jim,
    >
    >Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
    >
    >Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    >Click on System in the left pane.
    >Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
    >sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    >Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
    >upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
    >information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    >System Restore Failures to restore:
    >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

    Hi Jim,

    Glad to see you have it sorted out.

    --

    Jim wrote:
    > The error event code was always 111 which was not very
    > informative.
    >
    > I went through everything on the first URL below and
    > everything checked out o.k., so I reinstalled it (after
    > finding two viruses in Panda's on line scan that Norton
    > never found). It SEEMS to be working. I was able to use
    > it to undo an installation of the recommended Avast 4
    > Home...after it hijacked my Firefox start page.
    >
    > Hopefully...if I need it again it will work again.
    >

    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:05:13 -0400, "Bert Kinney"
    > <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jim,
    >>
    >> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
    >> Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    >> Click on System in the left pane.
    >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
    >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
    >> look for "sr" and "srservice".
    >> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
    >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
    >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
    >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    >> This will help us in diagnosing the problem. System
    >> Restore Failures to restore:
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
    >> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

System Restore Windows XP