Freezing on startup.

When I turn the power on each morning and try to boot up, my computer freezes
and when I turn the power off and on again I get a blue screen to check my
disk. Then it decides to boot up. Today I checked my event log and it had the
following warning: "HKEY_current _user\Software\Installshield\update service
does not exist". I checked my registry for this item and it is there and does
exist. I do not fool with the registry unless someone with more knowledge
than I have, guides me through any changes. Any help will be appreciated. I
have Windows XP, SP2.
1 answer Last reply
More about freezing startup

    I would not think this *warning* is the source of your 'freezing' problem.

    Is the file Agent.exe in this folder?
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService

    I believe the InstallShield Update Service may rely on the Internet Explorer
    security settings being set to default.

    IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab)

    Finally, have a look at these sites to see if they offer any
    clues/solutions.
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Michael

    "edith" <edith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I turn the power on each morning and try to boot up, my computer
    > freezes
    > and when I turn the power off and on again I get a blue screen to check my
    > disk. Then it decides to boot up. Today I checked my event log and it had
    > the
    > following warning: "HKEY_current _user\Software\Installshield\update
    > service
    > does not exist". I checked my registry for this item and it is there and
    > does
    > exist. I do not fool with the registry unless someone with more knowledge
    > than I have, guides me through any changes. Any help will be appreciated.
    > have Windows XP, SP2.

Windows XP