Anyone know if you can still get PCI video cards

Hi all, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 to use as a test machine to learn
Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. Now I have updated the ram to 1GB
but the onboard videocard is pathetic. Does anyone know where I could
buy a PCI video card that could cope with the things that i want to do.

Now I know the D3000 is an entery level machine but if I could just
upgrade the video card I think things will work out fine.

I have learnt a good lesson here, the extra price you pay for a decent
system in the end (8400), is no dearer than buying an entry level
machine and then have to upgrade everything on it to get it to run at a
decent level.

My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing a new Dell system is to buy
at least an Dimension 8400. I have 2 of these and they run flawlessy.

If you bide your time and keep an eye on the Dell website you can get an
8400 at a great price. This includes 1GB ram, 19" lcd display, wireless
keyboard and mouse and double the hard drive capacity.

Believe me I have purchased a Dell Dimension 4100 1GHz with 512 meg of
ram and it runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

My 8400's are rock solid and i can't praise them highly enough.

Like I said, don't rush into buying one, keep an eye on the web site and
when the time is right go for it.
5 answers Last reply
More about anyone video cards

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 to use as a test machine to learn
    > Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. Now I have updated the ram to 1GB
    > but the onboard videocard is pathetic. Does anyone know where I could buy
    > a PCI video card that could cope with the things that i want to do.

    <snip>

    www.newegg.com

    www.zipzoomfly.com

    Both sellers are the best on the web, imo. I've done business with both for
    nearly 4 years (as have others in here judging by their posts).

    Stew

    http://shopper.cnet.com/4007-8902_9-0.html?tag=srch&orderby=&qt=&100021id=&1000036id=&500241id=9729895&500240id=5000318&500603id=&500248id=&500665id=&500253id=&500600id=

    Wayne

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:33:49 +1000, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

    >Hi all, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 to use as a test machine to learn
    >Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. Now I have updated the ram to 1GB
    >but the onboard videocard is pathetic. Does anyone know where I could
    >buy a PCI video card that could cope with the things that i want to do.
    >
    >Now I know the D3000 is an entery level machine but if I could just
    >upgrade the video card I think things will work out fine.

    I got a 3000 myself and needed to fit a second card for another
    display, I chanced a matrox card on ebay for less than US$10 (it was a
    system pull with 16mb of memory, which was fine for what I wanted) -
    it worked a treat.

    hth,

    Please reply to the newsgroup - it's not my email address in the header!!

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:36:17 +0100, Baffie <anyone@anywhere.yuk>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:33:49 +1000, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 to use as a test machine to learn
    >>Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. Now I have updated the ram to 1GB
    >>but the onboard videocard is pathetic. Does anyone know where I could
    >>buy a PCI video card that could cope with the things that i want to do.
    >>
    >>Now I know the D3000 is an entery level machine but if I could just
    >>upgrade the video card I think things will work out fine.
    >>
    >I got a 3000 myself and needed to fit a second card for another
    >display, I chanced a matrox card on ebay for less than US$10 (it was a
    >system pull with 16mb of memory, which was fine for what I wanted) -
    >it worked a treat.
    >
    >hth,
    >

    >Please reply to the newsgroup - it's not my email address in the header!!

    I bought a Verto G Force FX 5200 PCI 128 Meg card last year for my
    Dell 2400 . That was the only card I could find to fit the only
    avilable PCI bus on the mother board of the 2400/ I think it was
    about $110. PNY Technologies is the Manufacturer.

    Bob

Dell Graphics Cards Computers Product