DOS window and Task Manager fail to stay open for use

An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a very
short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start", "run"
and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the same
fate.

Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the system?
12 answers Last reply
More about window task manager fail stay open

    You would think that a race of beings a 1000 years ahead of us could figure
    this out without having to time travel back to this primitive time for the
    answer. I don't know if telling you this will affect the time line or not but
    here goes.
    Yes, update your Norton AV signatures and or let them scan your computer
    online, if you are infected they might have a removal tool there as well..

    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=FYMTYNBRFNJSVSTIVVB
    http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
    "Mike Hopper" wrote:

    j;-)

    > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a very
    > short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start", "run"
    > and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the same
    > fate.
    >
    > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the system?

    Hi,

    It's not a suspected virus, it is definitely a virus. This is a common
    symptom.

    Free virus removal tools:

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    removal in normal mode where they are active.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Emergency system tools:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Mike Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a
    > very
    > short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start",
    > "run"
    > and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the
    > same
    > fate.
    >
    > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    > system?

    Still in the dark ages I am afraid. The Symantec software will not run from
    the web as "Active X Control" would not download!

    Have used AVG and Stinger virus packages and they fing no viruses!

    There is something wrong and it is not a virus.

    mike

    "Jaymon" wrote:

    > You would think that a race of beings a 1000 years ahead of us could figure
    > this out without having to time travel back to this primitive time for the
    > answer. I don't know if telling you this will affect the time line or not but
    > here goes.
    > Yes, update your Norton AV signatures and or let them scan your computer
    > online, if you are infected they might have a removal tool there as well..
    >
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=FYMTYNBRFNJSVSTIVVB
    > http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
    > "Mike Hopper" wrote:
    >
    > j;-)
    >

    > > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a very
    > > short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start", "run"
    > > and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the same
    > > fate.
    > >
    > > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the system?

    So far nothing I have run has detected any virus. No virus according to
    Stinger and AVG (grisoft). The Symantec web based tool does not run as some
    "Active X control" cannot download. I am checking on the others mentioned.

    mike

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It's not a suspected virus, it is definitely a virus. This is a common
    > symptom.
    >
    > Free virus removal tools:
    >
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    > http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    > http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    >
    > Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    >
    > Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    > removal in normal mode where they are active.
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >
    > Emergency system tools:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Mike Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a
    > > very
    > > short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start",
    > > "run"
    > > and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the
    > > same
    > > fate.
    > >
    > > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    > > system?

    Hi Mike,

    Are you doing this in Safe mode as suggested? Quite often the bugs will mask
    themselves from detection in normal mode.

    --

    > So far nothing I have run has detected any virus. No virus according to
    > Stinger and AVG (grisoft). The Symantec web based tool does not run as
    > some
    > "Active X control" cannot download. I am checking on the others
    > mentioned.
    >
    > mike
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It's not a suspected virus, it is definitely a virus. This is a common
    >> symptom.
    >>
    >> Free virus removal tools:
    >>
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    >> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    >> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    >>
    >> Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>
    >> Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are
    >> virus-specific:
    >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    >>
    >> Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    >> removal in normal mode where they are active.
    >>
    >> How to start in Safe mode:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >>
    >> Emergency system tools:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Mike Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >> > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    >> > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for a
    >> > very
    >> > short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from "Start",
    >> > "run"
    >> > and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus checker suffers the
    >> > same
    >> > fate.
    >> >
    >> > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    >> > system?

    Rick

    I did these tests (using the web tools) under "{Safe Mode with Networking".
    Am going to try my up to date version of Symantec Virus Checker under Safe
    mode next.

    mike

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Are you doing this in Safe mode as suggested? Quite often the bugs will mask
    > themselves from detection in normal mode.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Mike Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > So far nothing I have run has detected any virus. No virus according to
    > > Stinger and AVG (grisoft). The Symantec web based tool does not run as
    > > some
    > > "Active X control" cannot download. I am checking on the others
    > > mentioned.
    > >
    > > mike
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> It's not a suspected virus, it is definitely a virus. This is a common
    > >> symptom.
    > >>
    > >> Free virus removal tools:
    > >>
    > >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > >> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    > >> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    > >> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    > >>
    > >> Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    > >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > >>
    > >> Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are
    > >> virus-specific:
    > >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    > >>
    > >> Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    > >> removal in normal mode where they are active.
    > >>
    > >> How to start in Safe mode:
    > >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    > >>
    > >> Emergency system tools:
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Mike Hopper" <mikehopper@rogers.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

    More on the search for virus/worm/whatever.

    I ran a complete Norton AV check in Safe mode and it found nothing.

    So I am still unsure what is happening. Same "features" Task Manager window
    quits immediately and cannot access any secure site via IE6.

    mike

    Mike Hopper wrote:
    > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for
    > a very short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from
    > "Start", "run" and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus
    > checker suffers the same fate.
    >
    > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    > system?

    Scroll down to task manager.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    I suspected a virus/worm/trojan but scanning the system in Safe mode shows
    nothing.

    On trying the Task Manager tools enable/disable/repair on the kelley corner
    site I get a message window that opens and immediately closes just like the
    DOS window (Start/Run or Task Manager). Will those work in safe mode?

    mike

    "MAP" wrote:

    > Mike Hopper wrote:
    > > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for
    > > a very short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from
    > > "Start", "run" and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus
    > > checker suffers the same fate.
    > >
    > > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    > > system?
    >
    > Scroll down to task manager.
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    Did you try to boot from the Symantec install disk and use the disks AV
    scanner that way? You will need to boot from the cd and might have to change
    your BIOS settings, do so under boot options, make your CD drive the first
    boot priority.. Restart and you will be given a short time to hit a key, the
    rest should be obvious..If not post back...

    j;-)

    "Mike Hopper" wrote:

    > I suspected a virus/worm/trojan but scanning the system in Safe mode shows
    > nothing.
    >
    > On trying the Task Manager tools enable/disable/repair on the kelley corner
    > site I get a message window that opens and immediately closes just like the
    > DOS window (Start/Run or Task Manager). Will those work in safe mode?
    >
    > mike
    >

    > "MAP" wrote:
    >
    > > Mike Hopper wrote:
    > > > An unusual problem has arisen with my XP system since my updates of
    > > > 07-30-3005. Noe when I launch the Task Manager the window shows for
    > > > a very short time then closes. Same for the DOS window launched from
    > > > "Start", "run" and cmd. One other symptom is that Symantec Virus
    > > > checker suffers the same fate.
    > > >
    > > > Everything else appears OK. Should I suspect a Virus hiding in the
    > > > system?
    > >
    > > Scroll down to task manager.
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Pawlak

    I managed to get the Symantec disk to boot. It found no virus/worm/trojan.

    But I tried the web version of BitDefender v8. It uncovered the presence of
    the worm that they named W32.Worm.Mytob.GD. Renmoval tools fot Mytob seem to
    have cleared up the issue for now.

    mike

    "Jaymon" wrote:

    > Did you try to boot from the Symantec install disk and use the disks AV
    > scanner that way? You will need to boot from the cd and might have to change
    > your BIOS settings, do so under boot options, make your CD drive the first
    > boot priority.. Restart and you will be given a short time to hit a key, the
    > rest should be obvious..If not post back...
    >
    > j;-)
    >
    > "Mike Hopper" wrote:
    >
    > > I suspected a virus/worm/trojan but scanning the system in Safe mode shows
    > > nothing.
    > >
    > > On trying the Task Manager tools enable/disable/repair on the kelley corner
    > > site I get a message window that opens and immediately closes just like the
    > > DOS window (Start/Run or Task Manager). Will those work in safe mode?
    > >
    > > mike

    > > > Scroll down to task manager.
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mike Pawlak

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I tried the web version of BitDefender v8. It uncovered the presence of the
    worm that they named W32.Worm.Mytob.GD. Removal tools fot Mytob seem to have
    cleared up the issue for now.

    mike

DOS Task Manager Windows XP