PC won't shutdown or restart

I'm using XP home edition and for some reason my pc won't shutdown or
restart. When i select turn off or restart nothing happens, it just stays at
my desktop. I tried to bring up task manager and alt - F4 but still nothing
happens. It just stays at my desktop. Everything else is working but it seems
i cant shutdown or restart.

Take a look here.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm