Blank screen when starting (sometimes)

OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Since yesterday, when the computer starts up it goes to a completely
blank screen. IIRC it's during the XP startup, but not before the
login screen. Nothing appears to work, ie. Alt + Ctrl + Del, and
capslock doesn't work either. So I power it off (hold power button in
for 5 seconds). When it starts up again it says that it didn't boot up
correctly last time, and I choose to boot up normally. It then works
fine. In fact I am using it now!

Going slightly OT...

It's possible that it is a hardware problem, but I'll be quite
supprised if it is. The weather has been very cool recently, but when
we had the hot weather a few weeks ago my computer was happy playing
games. The computer/case was dusted a few weeks ago. The only
possible thing I can think of is the PSU.

Back on topic...

My Windows install is less than 3 months old, and is a very clean
install. It seems very unusual that it works after starting up the 2nd
time though. It's happened to me twice so far. Reinstalling Windows
is probably going to be the next task, but I'd rather not do it if I
didn't have to :-(

And I was so pleased with the stability of XP :-(

See if there is some info here that sheds light on your problem.