Shutdown Problems

Grand_Witch

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Help

I have just reinstalled windows xp home. I have put very few programs on. My pc will now not shutdown. When I go to shutdown it just seems to hang there I can still move the mouse and select items alhthough you get the message cannot open as windows is in the process of shutting down. I am not even sure where to begin wiht this. cna someoen please help. If you leave it for 10 minutes it eventually it sometimes does shutdown.

sturm

Splendid
sounds like a program is not shutting down properly. Goto to start -> run -> type 'msconfig' then ok. Disable all startup programs and reboot. When computer is restarted restart again and see if problem persists.
Add in programs until you find one that is giving you problems.

Grand_Witch

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Thanks I will try that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." <b>Albert Einstein</b>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Have just started experiencing a similar problem with XP Pro - but I had a good install for 2 mos - until last night. Can't use the msconfig drill - since it won't shut down on it's own. Mine will eventually shut down after intollerable minutes.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>

Have you tweaked the CMOS settings? Have you added any new hardware at all?
Both of these could relate to the CMOS, or failed driver install.

Is this a PC you built or Dell, Gateway, HP,????????
If its a prioritary machine with a restore disk, a hardrive wipe may be needed before the installation of the OP/SYS.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Check my thread - and posts by Toejam31 - and my last posts - some links and possible help there.

It could be driver conflicts, but I seriously doubt that it's a CMOS issue.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>