home to pro?

I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it will
have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the pro
upgrade and update from home to pro?

thanks
Pam
3 answers Last reply
More about home

    An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
    current programs or files if you use the following procedure:

    1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
    2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
    3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
    the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
    6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pam" wrote:

    | I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it will
    | have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
    | prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the pro
    | upgrade and update from home to pro?
    |
    | thanks
    | Pam

    cool thanks!

    > An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
    > current programs or files if you use the following procedure:
    >
    > 1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
    Professional.
    > 2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
    > 3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    > 4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor,
    keyboard and mouse.
    > 5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the
    drive and select
    > the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New
    Installation"]
    > 6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "Pam" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it
    will
    > | have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
    > | prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the
    pro
    > | upgrade and update from home to pro?
    > |
    > | thanks
    > | Pam

    I use both XP Pro and Home and unless your friend is going to be
    networking, there is very little difference in the two..
    "Pam" <pam_staley@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
    > cool thanks!

    >> An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
    >> current programs or files if you use the following procedure:
    >>
    >> 1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
    > Professional.
    >> 2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
    >> 3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    >> 4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor,
    > keyboard and mouse.
    >> 5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the
    > drive and select
    >> the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New
    > Installation"]
    >> 6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > -----------------
    >>
    >> "Pam" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it
    > will
    >> | have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
    >> | prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy
    >> the
    > pro
    >> | upgrade and update from home to pro?
    >> |
    >> | thanks