home to pro?

August 1, 2005 10:05:20 PM

I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it will
have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the pro
upgrade and update from home to pro?

thanks
Pam

More about : home pro

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:05:21 PM

An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
current programs or files if you use the following procedure:

1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pam" wrote:

| I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it will
| have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
| prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the pro
| upgrade and update from home to pro?
|
| thanks
| Pam
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:36:57 PM

cool thanks!

> An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
> current programs or files if you use the following procedure:
>
> 1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP
Professional.
> 2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
> 3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
> 4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor,
keyboard and mouse.
> 5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the
drive and select
> the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New
Installation"]
> 6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Pam" wrote:
>
> | I have a friend that is getting ready to buy a new computer - but it
will
> | have xp home on it - since I use pro and always have to help her - I'd
> | prefer that she have the same thing I have on mine. Can she just buy the
pro
> | upgrade and update from home to pro?
> |
> | thanks
> | Pam

August 1, 2005 11:08:58 PM

I use both XP Pro and Home and unless your friend is going to be
networking, there is very little difference in the two..
news:D ZtHe.572$I04.497@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

!