G

Hi all
I need some advice on graphic cards so I was wondering if you could help me out.
I have just recieved a replacement card under warrenty for my faulty Creative Labs nVidia Geforce 256(model ct6960) it has tv out and dvi-d .
The card they have sent is a vision tek nvidia geforce 2 mx agp with no tv out just 1 vga out put, the card is half the size with less chips and no cooling fan.
I paid I think close to $500 for the card when i purchaced the system and the card they have sent is valued at $70 Would you be able to tell me what sort of card would be the equall of the original,I think they may be ripping me of slightly .
Any help would be much appreciated
Regards Drew

G

In terms of performance the Geforce256 DDR is slightly better than the geforce2MX. The DDR's still command quite a hefty price tag due to the DDR ram I suppose. SDR cards are more or less similr to the geforce2MX cards in performance. Because of this they are really worth no more than the 2MX since they are much older and are no better. Computer parts lose value like there is no tomorrow. I bought my 850 mhz Athlon for $400 here in Australia at the end of last year. I will throw it in the bin soon as there are faster chips available now for squat all. So in terms of card value I rally don't think you lost much. The loss of your TV out functionality is wrong though. Get back to em and say you want one with TV out just like the original had. Your replacement card should have all the functioality of the old card, no question there. Hope that helps.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sounds like you got a MX200 card in which case it wouldn't even come close to the DDR GF card if that is the case. Plus DVI can be an important if you buy a flat screen monitor.

G

Thanks for your replys
Just needed some thoughts on this before i ran them up,I origanaly thought the hard drive was faulty but it turned out to be a noise coming from the fan on the card.They sent out a replacement hard drive,same sort of thing, they sent me a 4400rpm to replace the 7200 rpm.
Anyway i made the call and pointed these minor details out to them and it looks like they will replace the card with the high end type i originally paid for. What will they send me next is anyones guess.
Thanks Again Drew

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When my GeForce 256 DDR TV-Out, DVI card (Hercules 3D Prophet DDR-DVI) burnt out, I contacted Hercules and got the replacement through them, not the dealer I bought it from. And they sent me the same card that I bought at no charge at all. The main thing you have to think about is that GeForce 256 DDR cards aren't made anymore, so the dealer probably just doesn't, and can't, have them, and it would then be required for you to get a replacement card that is the same as the defective one from the manufacturer.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

Hi Ksoth
Not a bad idea at all,might send creative labs an email and see what they might be able to do for me.
The company i am dealing with is gateway computers ,there replacement parts are second hand so i guess they will be looking for an old geforce card to send me which isnt the greastest service you could hope for but thats how they work.
Maybee creative labs might come to the party and send me a newer version of the card i have.
Cheers Drew