Need some advice on a dual racing game

Last response: in Deals
July 18, 2005 1:22:06 AM

Hi Everyone,
I spend most of my time in the world of pinball, but I have a couple of
arcade machines in the collection as well. I have a final lap dual
sitdown racing that works 100 percent, and I have the final lap 3 board
set currently in the machine, linked up and working correctly. My
question is: Is there another boardset I can put in here that would be
a little more exciting than final lap 3, but at very little cost?
(Under 300 dollars) I have been searching on Epay the last week or so,
and it doesnt look like much rolls through there. I am actually tempted
at buying a cruisin board set in there ( I would need two) but it is on
the high end of the price scale right now (currently at 2500 for one
board with 6 days left) All thoughts/input would be much appreciated.
If you have boards for sale, please feel free to make offers as
well......TIA, Tim
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:51:41 PM

Thanks for the input Steve. I have considered many of these things, I
dont want to get too crazy, just something a little different than
final lap 3. I dont mind if there are several boards, but I know the
pot values are different for each game. I havent really looked at happ
controls yet to see what pots would be interchangeable with my current
setup and moving to a different setup. Do you/anyone know what dual
racing games may make for a fairly simple conversion? I dont mind
adding buttons, Changing pots, as this is more of a fun custom project
for myself anyway. I dont want to go the mame route either, I would
rather do something more dedicated. (I already have a mame machine). I
really like the cruisin series, but the obvious that I see physically
would be 4 gears instead of two. I am sure there are MANY differences,
but I am open to anything.....Thanks, Tim
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:07:16 PM

Tim, you won't be able to convert this game to any more modern games.
Practically all racing games since the early 90's (Virtua Racing,
Cruisin', Atari Hard/Race Drivin') use Medium Resolution EGA monitors,
and the Final Lap does not. Daytona and all of the Sega games are very
similar in this respect and with their input controls. As Steve has
pointed out, switching would likely cost more than just buying a
separate twin of one of these games.

Your best bet would be to find some kind of Jamma, CGA monitor racing
game and put in there. I have seen some pretty generic Jamma racing
games out there but I don't know which ones link up for dueling. Great
1000 Mile Rally is a Jamma kit I see often, which might be more fun
than Final Lap. I'm sure there are others.

Wade
July 18, 2005 3:30:14 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. If anyone can think of any titles that
may be able to link up that are in this age range please feel free to
chime in. Wade, the 1000 mile rally is a blast, I have that one in the
mame inventory. I will keep a look out for any suggestions. If I were
to sell this final lap, what would be a fair asking price for it?
Again, I am mostly interested in pinball, so I dont get around to
arcade pricing too much. If someone were looking to trade for it, what
would be considered a fair trade? I know this game is a much older
title, but it is pretty fun when you link up and race. I am not wanting
to sell it or trade it, but if it helps me move up to something a
little more graphically enhanced (Daytona, Cruisin, etc.) I may have
to. Thanks again for everything, you guys have definitely pointed me in
the right direction....Tim
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:12:14 PM

be very carefull when trying to convert a driver... often times the physical
differences in their input portions make conversion very difficult (e.g. the
steering, breaking may have different pot values)... the sticks may be
totally different in how they work, not the right number of buttons, etc.
Worse though, (not sure about crusin), if you take a game like Daytona/Indy,
etc. you're not dealing with a single board but MANY boards that would have
to be transported over (I can think of 6 at the top of my head for Indy and
that's without trying).

Unless you're in it for a full rebuild (it'd be cheaper to buy a whole game
then to try to even find the parts usually) it would recommend sticking with
something along the same time-period at least.

steve

"Tim N." <nobliti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I spend most of my time in the world of pinball, but I have a couple of
> arcade machines in the collection as well. I have a final lap dual
> sitdown racing that works 100 percent, and I have the final lap 3 board
> set currently in the machine, linked up and working correctly. My
> question is: Is there another boardset I can put in here that would be
> a little more exciting than final lap 3, but at very little cost?
> (Under 300 dollars) I have been searching on Epay the last week or so,
> and it doesnt look like much rolls through there. I am actually tempted
> at buying a cruisin board set in there ( I would need two) but it is on
> the high end of the price scale right now (currently at 2500 for one
> board with 6 days left) All thoughts/input would be much appreciated.
> If you have boards for sale, please feel free to make offers as
> well......TIA, Tim

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:46:35 PM

>I am not wanting to sell it or trade it, but if it helps me move up to something a
>little more graphically enhanced (Daytona, Cruisin, etc.)

Rush 2049- hands down the best home driver I have played that is still
in the $$$ of most people.

Kirb
(R2049 owner of 1 seat, don't need them linked)
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:34:23 PM

Sorry, I don't know of any, even remotely easy, conversions. It's probably
pretty rare to see driver converts (other then Sega Model 2/3 conversions)
as they are generally full rip-out and rebuilds. Heck, it's tough to find
invidual boads to fix broken machines let alone 2 full sets of anything...

your best bet would be to just sell the final-lap and buy something else
(you can usually get a pair of daytona's/crusin's, etc. for around $2K or
less if you look hard).

> Thanks for the input Steve. I have considered many of these things, I
> dont want to get too crazy, just something a little different than
> final lap 3. I dont mind if there are several boards, but I know the
> pot values are different for each game. I havent really looked at happ
> controls yet to see what pots would be interchangeable with my current
> setup and moving to a different setup. Do you/anyone know what dual
> racing games may make for a fairly simple conversion? I dont mind
> adding buttons, Changing pots, as this is more of a fun custom project
> for myself anyway. I dont want to go the mame route either, I would
> rather do something more dedicated. (I already have a mame machine). I
> really like the cruisin series, but the obvious that I see physically
> would be 4 gears instead of two. I am sure there are MANY differences,
> but I am open to anything.....Thanks, Tim

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:24:13 AM

Easiest Conversion is

Daytona USA 2 - > Daytona USA2 PE - > Emergency Call Ambulane -> Sega Rally
Championship 2 -> Dirt Devils

All SEGA Model 3 Step 2/2.1

For D2USAPE, ECA, SRC2 just swap rom boards, DD needs Hi-Lo shifter.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here.

I know D2USA and ECA were designed to swap, SRC2 should swap easily
(although sound may get routed to different speakers than supposed too.
Easliy swaped on Sound Junction Board.

DD may be a bit more challenging. (With Hi-Lo shifter)

I am currently working on D2USA2PE/ECA/SRC2 3-in-1 driver. With alot of
initial help from Andrew Lewis (Thanks Andy!!!!)

I've got all the rom boards and have them populated. Planning on swapping
out ECA and SRC2 this weekend and see what happens.

Regards
Bob Presutti

!