uninstalling windows xp home edition

Help. Spent three hours trying to uninstall windows xp home. cannot find
file in the add/remove program. How else can I uninstall windows xp home
edition?
5 answers Last reply
More about uninstalling windows home edition

    chris wrote:
    > Help. Spent three hours trying to uninstall windows xp home. cannot
    > find file in the add/remove program. How else can I uninstall
    > windows xp home edition?

    You are trying to UNINSTALL the operating system?
    Might I be so bold as to ask why? Most issues with Windows XP can be
    resolved with a little help.
    However - if you want to uninstall it - there MAY be two methods for you..

    I suppose you upgraded from a previous OS?
    How to uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303661

    If it was not an upgrade install (done from inside Windows) then a clean
    install may be your only choice. That means erasing everything and
    installing your new OS/applications.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks. I need to uninstall and then reinstall windows xp. Spyware has
    taken hold of the system making everything so slow. Also, IE is corrupt and
    can't get online anymore. I had to do this with my main computer but had
    Dell's help. Now they want a fee. So anything info you can send my way would
    be most appreciated. Oh, I do have spy sweeper now on my main computer,
    unfortunately not my son's.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > chris wrote:
    > > Help. Spent three hours trying to uninstall windows xp home. cannot
    > > find file in the add/remove program. How else can I uninstall
    > > windows xp home edition?
    >
    > You are trying to UNINSTALL the operating system?
    > Might I be so bold as to ask why? Most issues with Windows XP can be
    > resolved with a little help.
    > However - if you want to uninstall it - there MAY be two methods for you..
    >
    > I suppose you upgraded from a previous OS?
    > How to uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303661
    >
    > If it was not an upgrade install (done from inside Windows) then a clean
    > install may be your only choice. That means erasing everything and
    > installing your new OS/applications.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Don't worry about uninstalling.

    Clean Install Windows

    Windows XP Clean Installation - Partitioning and Formatting using Windows XP
    CD
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/XPClean.htm

    HOW TO Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q313348

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DD93504D-5E6B-44EE-B310-CBA497C8B6A8@microsoft.com,
    chris <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    chris wrote:
    > Help. Spent three hours trying to uninstall windows xp home. cannot find
    > file in the add/remove program. How else can I uninstall windows xp home
    > edition?

    The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

    Only if you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to backup
    the old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS, can
    you then boot into Safe Mode and click Start > Control Panel
    > Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions must be met for the
    uninstall option to be available.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Chris, take a look at this MS KB Article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661&Product=winxp

    "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help. Spent three hours trying to uninstall windows xp home. cannot find
    > file in the add/remove program. How else can I uninstall windows xp home
    > edition?

Support Microsoft Windows XP